Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 and brass......Why it should only hurt once......

DougCarden

Good Evening,

I bought a 929 and I am having problems with it. I shot three moon clips with 9mm reloads from my semi-auto "practice" bin, and 23 went off fine with no extraction problems. I bought 1000 Starline 9mm cases, loaded my standard minor load, 124 gr Berry's and 3.9 gr Clays, on a 650 with a Lee sizing die. After four shots you could not pull the trigger to rotate the cylinder. I could tap the moonclip in and finish shooting eight, but then I would have to tap the extractor with my brass squib rod to get the moonclip out of the gun.

I read on one of the other threads about 929 problems and ordered the EGW undersized sizing die. I loaded some more rounds and now I get five shots before the cylinder locks up. I am wondering if the new cases are the problem. My next step is to load a few rounds with my semi-auto brass and see if they still fire. I was also thinking of honing and polishing the chambers.

My experience is similar - random range brass reloads and some Winchester +P JHPs fire and extract but with loads in new Starline brass I get light strikes and have to pound on the extractor rod to get the empties out. I plan to try the now once fired Starline brass (and test some other ideas) this weekend.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning,

The saga continues. I honed and polished the chambers and then headed off to the range. The once fired Starline, reloaded using the EGW U die, shot five or six rounds before the cylinder locked up. The range pickup brass loads, also sized by the U die, fired all eight shots but were a little sticky to extract.

This load was just over minor in my CZ but I have not chronoed it in the 929. My plan now is to get some 147 or 160 Bayou bullets and load a low speed. low pressure round to see if that solves the problem.

Good Morning,

The saga continues. I honed and polished the chambers and then headed off to the range. The once fired Starline, reloaded using the EGW U die, shot five or six rounds before the cylinder locked up. The range pickup brass loads, also sized by the U die, fired all eight shots but were a little sticky to extract.

This load was just over minor in my CZ but I have not chronoed it in the 929. My plan now is to get some 147 or 160 Bayou bullets and load a low speed. low pressure round to see if that solves the problem.

on the few loads I tested, everything was consistently 50fps slows through the 929 than it was through my wife's CZ. If you are barely at minor my guess is the 929 is not making minor.

I am using the same range brass I use for my autos. Numerous headstamps. Lee u die. My loads are right at 128pf in my 929 with 165g bullets. I have about 1000 rounds through the gun now and no issues with sticky chambers with this load. I did have slightly sticky chambers with a shorter oal and the same load. I think this is just going to be one of those guns that you have to find a load for and run it. The nice thing is if the load makes PF in the 929 it should in any of your autos as well. I did hit the chambers with steel wool wrapped around a cleaning brush.

Good Morning,

on the few loads I tested, everything was consistently 50fps slows through the 929 than it was through my wife's CZ. If you are barely at minor my guess is the 929 is not making minor.

However, keep in mind that revolver velocities are already very "specimen-specific." You often see very different velocities from identical guns, depending on barrel wear, cylinder gap, etc.

So Sean's results with his particular 929 might be 150fps different than the next 929 off the line, not to mention what you might find in comparison to the various autos.

I am using the same range brass I use for my autos. Numerous headstamps. Lee u die. My loads are right at 128pf in my 929 with 165g bullets. I have about 1000 rounds through the gun now and no issues with sticky chambers with this load. I did have slightly sticky chambers with a shorter oal and the same load. I think this is just going to be one of those guns that you have to find a load for and run it. The nice thing is if the load makes PF in the 929 it should in any of your autos as well. I did hit the chambers with steel wool wrapped around a cleaning brush.

128 PF across one chono is cutting it closer than I prefer. I feel much more comfortable at 132-135 PF, given the range of conditions and equipment you can find at major matches.

Keep in mind that your risk is not going minor--it's going sub-minor, which means you are shooting for no score.

128 PF across one chono is cutting it closer than I prefer. I feel much more comfortable at 132-135 PF, given the range of conditions and equipment you can find at major matches.

Keep in mind that your risk is not going minor--it's going sub-minor, which means you are shooting for no score.

I didn't want to chance that when I shot my 929 at the Space City Challenge, I made 138 PF and some others were crying that the chrono was slow but then again you hear that at every match about the chrono. Going sub minor would really suck. No sense messing around with that, I like to be about 10 over to allow for variances.

I didn't want to chance that when I shot my 929 at the Space City Challenge, I made 138 PF and some others were crying that the chrono was slow but then again you hear that at every match about the chrono. Going sub minor would really suck. No sense messing around with that, I like to be about 10 over to allow for variances.

I would add that you have take into consideration that bullet weights vary. With some brands they vary more than others but they do vary. I've seen bullets come in 5 grains under what the competitor thought they would be. On more than one occasion that led to the competitor's ammo failing to make power factor at the chrono. A friends ammo that made 120+ power factor in his 5" 627 failed to make 105 power factor in his 4" model 19 at an IDPA match.

I agree wholeheartedly. I usually aim for 130+. This is what this load came out to so I'm running it until I can work up something better for the uspsa season. Right now it's just plates around here.

I still stick with my original point that it's just going to take some load development for folks to get this thing dialed in for competition. Same as any other revolver or auto. I for one enjoy that part of the equation. I sold my 627pc to buy this gun and I'd do it all over again without question. That gun took just as much load development but I had to use special brass. With the 929 I run whatever 9mm brass stays in the moonclips and smile because I have an endless supply of it.

SO FAR..... The 9mm, 929 is like all the rest of our toys... Ya gatta play with it....I've completely embarrassed the revolver at several "RIO" ICORE match's.... I have 2ea. 929's, one with a C-More & one with fiber sights.... I've managed to blow the "compensator" off the "open" one when the screw came loose (I had tightened it, so I thought)... Time for some locktite? I think?. I'm learning (mostly for the posts here). I assumed wrongly, that I could just use my regular 9mm semi auto loads... NOT SO!!... Today I cronoed 6 different loads. I had WAY "sticky" ejection with 160 Bayous & Clays (2.8, use at your own risk), yet this same load ejected easily with my Glock 34, shot at the same time and was way "soft" ....When I went to slower powder , things improved to decent extraction. ( 147/124 Bullets, Vit 340, and Titegroup of all things...( I stayed near 130/135 Power Factor zone )

Gregg and several others have posted their info, all which are helpful ...

Just a little background, I like the latest stuff, I don't think the 929 is the "Coming Savior" in the revolver world... It's going to take the usual mods before it's a runner in the gun game... THAT said it fit my bill, as I shoot lot's of 9mm ..

I think I was way too fussy with my moon clips (I had them built too tight) BUT a step in the right direction?, I used only one brand of brass (Federal + p)...All case rolled and "U" died to eliminate as many problems as possible and give me a consistent starting place .

I have to confess, I thought it would be easier "cause" it was a 9mm, not so... Slower powder's and mid weight bullets are probably the way to go???.... We will see????.....

Sometimes I need to kick my own butt... During my recent crono testing I noticed my grip on the revolver was way low... couldn't hit squat, grouping was way off.. When I moved my grip higher , I closed the group up to itty bitty (fairly impressive for me)... DAH!!!.. Well, I'm still learning at age 73.. HA, HA...Love the smell of competition..

I'VE EVEN beat Rob Leathem once... (He signed up but didn't shoot, he got all 200's for score). SO there!!!!...

Edited by mike NM

After reading the horror stories I feel bad writing this.

I have a 929, I shoot reloads made with range pickup brass, sized with a normal Lee die and everything works fine. I even shot 48 rounds 172PF loads I had left from my open gun and they didn't stick.

Now this is the part that really makes me giggle. What could an intrepid handloader do with some 9x21 brass and some N105?

I have a 929, I shoot reloads made with range pickup brass, sized with a normal Lee die and everything works fine. I even shot 48 rounds 172PF loads I had left from my open gun and they didn't stick.

Now this is the part that really makes me giggle. What could an intrepid handloader do with some 9x21 brass and some N105?

I would go a couple silly milimeters more 9X23.

Tom

The cylinder on the 929 is cut so that it will only take a max length of 9X19. I would be to afraid to shoot some of the open gun 9mm stuff in the 929.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone Roll Crimping these rounds for the 929? I am using a lee factory crimp at a fairly heavy setting (1 full turn) and the bullets are still pushing out.

The Lee "Factory Crimp" die caused me more problems than it ever fixed, especially with revolvers. The die has a sizing ring that resizes the entire length of the cartridge, it swages down the bullet and the brass, the brass springs back some but the lead bullet does not. You end up with some slugs that just fall out of the case, there is no neck tension and with a revolver the bullets pull out of the case with each shot. The dies seem to work better with FMJ bullets but with lead I got bullets that pulled and you could see the bullets keyhole on paper. I have known several shooters that solved their bullets pulling and accuracy problems by ditching the Lee Factory Crimp die. Use of one of the Lee "U" die in the sizing station that creates good neck tension was helpful in several cases.

Is anyone Roll Crimping these rounds for the 929? I am using a lee factory crimp at a fairly heavy setting (1 full turn) and the bullets are still pushing out.

The Lee "Factory Crimp" die caused me more problems than it ever fixed, especially with revolvers. The die has a sizing ring that resizes the entire length of the cartridge, it swages down the bullet and the brass, the brass springs back some but the lead bullet does not. You end up with some slugs that just fall out of the case, there is no neck tension and with a revolver the bullets pull out of the case with each shot. The dies seem to work better with FMJ bullets but with lead I got bullets that pulled and you could see the bullets keyhole on paper. I have known several shooters that solved their bullets pulling and accuracy problems by ditching the Lee Factory Crimp die. Use of one of the Lee "U" die in the sizing station that creates good neck tension was helpful in several cases.

Would I still using the fcd die on my last station if using this die? Also I'm using plated bullets

Edited by a468bu

Would I still using the fcd die on my last station if using this die? Also I'm using plated bullets

No, the FCD is the problem. The "U" die should eliminate the need plus give better neck tension. Plated bullets are the same as lead as far as the FCD causing problems. A standard crimp die and a "U" sizing die would be my suggestion.