Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about USPSA major, which Glock do you recommend?

1eyedfatman

I've been only shooting 9mm (USPSA Production, IDPA, Steel, 3-gun). I'm thinking about trying to go USPSA Major this next year. I've already posted i have a G20 w/ KKM .40 conversion barrel I could use, but that's it...no other .40's or .45's. If I don't go with the G20...what do you guys recommend for a Major Glock? I'm leaning to Glock because I have a heavily tuned G34 as well as a G19 and G20 and I'm loving the G34 these days. The 2 I would consider most are G35 and G41. From what I understand, G35 would be better Limited Major while the G41 may be better Limited 10 Major. I hear a lot about how the .45 is a soft shooter compared to the .40. But G35 sounds like a hugely popular Limited Major pistol and would allow for better round capacity. What would be the ultimate USPSA Limited Major Glock what should I do to tame the recoil comming from 9mm? My G34:

- Dawson sites

- Vanek classic trigger

- KKM barrel

- Jager light striker & 4lb spring

- Jager SS guide rod & 13lb spring

- Talon grip (rubber)

I would lean toward the 24, or potentially the 20 with the conversion. I've shot a 20 using 10mm lite loads (170ish PF) and it was very soft.

I had a Briley barrel in my G24 and it made major with 3.6 grs of WSF and a moly 180. That is production powder charge territory and it too was incredibly soft considering it was a sub 30 oz gun at major. The extra sight radius really boosts confidence on the tighter or longer shots. That was the first gun I could really shoot a group with.

1 plus to the G20 set up is loading long- potentially you could share loads with an S_I style gun.

I would lean towards the 41. 45acp is much more manageable from a recoil department. I have found that 40 cal has a sharp recoil. Even with 180's it's not the easiest to shoot. 45's are big and slow which generates less felt recoil.

Flexmoney hasn't chimed in yet, but I think he too would agree that the G20 with the 40 barrel is the "cheater gun" for Limited Glocks.

SOFT shooting for sure.

Why would you call it the "cheater gun"? I assume because felt recoil and muzzle flip is less then say a G35 with both at .40?

Flexmoney hasn't chimed in yet, but I think he too would agree that the G20 with the 40 barrel is the "cheater gun" for Limited Glocks.

SOFT shooting for sure.

Why would you call it the "cheater gun"? I assume because felt recoil and muzzle flip is less then say a G35 with both at .40?

That would be...correct!

I will throw one more out there not mentioned yet. A police trade in Glock 22, then add a threaded barrel, the taylor freelance sight block extension, the sjc frame weight, the mag extensions of your choice, and trigger of your choice... Cheap, well cheaper, I think. :)

http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=75&zenid=rdrnjvakn9597dmr81e9l3afr5

I would lean towards the 41. 45acp is much more manageable from a recoil department. I have found that 40 cal has a sharp recoil. Even with 180's it's not the easiest to shoot. 45's are big and slow which generates less felt recoil.

X-Treme has a 220 gr 40 cal bullet. I've not tried it (yet) for I fear I will like it so much I won't want to load & shoot my remaining stock of 180gr bullets.

I just bought a 41 for my wife, because she wanted it. I've been tinkering with minor loads for her and I can tell you first hand compared to the Glock 35 40sw, this whole speculation about sharp recoil in the 40 versus the 45, is completely untrue. This I have learned first hand while trying to make a 45acp minor shoot as soft as a 40sw minor for her. I have a feeling the people who originally thought this up were comparing all steel frame 45's with soft loads compared to polymer framed lighter guns in 40's with full power loads.

I think that a very heavy magwell is one of the key ingredients for taming the sharp recoil of a 40 in a plastic gun. My 35 wears a Zev heavy stainless, which shifts the balance point right to about where the trigger guard meets the grip (unloaded). I think having the gun kinda back heavy like that really helps with the gun feels while it recoils.

Something else to think about is that I know personally I didn't like 40 for the longest time because it was 'snappy'. But once I started shooting my 40 a lot, I kinda realized Major loads are softer than a factory round, and you can definitely tell. Just my 0.02.

I am aware that the Glock 20 is a larger framed gun than the 22/24/35, but until now it hadn't occured to me the magazines are different. So what is different if the standard Glock 20 magazine holds 15 same as the Glock 22?

They are larger. With an extension you wind up with a bit more room. Also, they allow for long OALs unlike the small frame Glock mags.

I am aware that the Glock 20 is a larger framed gun than the 22/24/35, but until now it hadn't occured to me the magazines are different. So what is different if the standard Glock 20 magazine holds 15 same as the Glock 22?

The mags are a little wider and longer inside. If I recall correctly the G22 mags are pretty tight at 15 but the G20 mags are pretty easy to load to 15 and I think if I try hard I can stuff 16 in them.

I'd go with your G20 with the 40 barrel with Arredondo extendions on mine I get 21 in the mags

I agree that starting with what you have is a good idea. All you need is the magwell and extensions and those can be swapped to a G35 later if you want.

As for getting 21 rounds in the mag - I've never heard of anyone getting more than 20 and even then the mags can be terribly hard to seat. What generation mags are those?