Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to Get Started Loading

wblacksh

I have decided to start loading myself. I will be getting the Dillion 550 (new to loading package on Brian Enos). I have been picking brass for about 6 months and have plenty now. Now I am trying to find powder. I will be loading 9mm (not major PF, just regular) for now and eventually 9 major. My question is how does everyone get powder? I can't find any local, and all the online shops have it backordered. I 'preordered' 2 lbs of HS6, but there isn't any ETA on it.

Is it normal to buy online and wait weeks for it to come in, or do I just keep trying my luck at some local shops? Probably a bit of both I guess. I didn't realize how scarce it is. I take it that if I find some, I should buy all I can?

I've only ever bought locally. The Hazmat fee will eat you up unless your going in on a hefty order.

A couple of my shops know me as a reloader and loyal reliable buyer. They make sure I get powder offered to me when it comes in. I'm not greedy about it and if I don't need/use the particular powder, I leave it for someone else.

Hopefully you have a shop or two that you have a good relationship with. Those types of relationships can make sure you have what you need.

if you have gun shows in your area, these is usually one or two vendors that sell power and primers. In my area the prices are pretty good on the stuff and you really don't pay more than you would for a pound at one of the sporting good stores.

Also, don't settle and look for one powder. get a loading manual and look at the on line loading manuals at various powder makers. make yourself a lit of what you can get to work. you will have a much easier go at it if you can be flexible.

Edited by mikeinctown

If you were my neighbor, I would give you a pound of WST and set up your press.

Powder is out there. Chasing the unicorn is what makes life fun. Believe it or not...I have found a lot powder by reading on one forum or another on threads about who has powder in stock. Once you find it...order in bulk. Double bonus for 8 pound kegs and buying primers 5K at a time.

Powder varies a lot from part of the country to the other. Locally there are a couple of gun shops whose powder shelves are staying stocked.

Powder Valley is my favorite on line source. However once the words get out, powder will be gone in matter of minutes. Rarely does powder last more than an hour or two.

You can do this..

if you order on like do your self a favor and order more then 2lbs. the $40 in shipping is going double the cost of the powder. for that your better of paying the $25-$35 a pound when the local shop has it instock . check mid south shooter supply and grafs both allow backorders . seems like powder comes in waves if you dont get it when instock it might be a few month before the next run on the type... at least that what it seems to me from what i have seen.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I was able to get my hands on 5 lbs of titegroup and 2 lbs of hs6. I will start out with the tite group in 9mm. I have 124g xtreme bullets to start with. Next step is to get the equipment ordered up.

Like others have said, just keep your eyes peeled, seems like you found a good bit of powder. If you are a Facebook person, sometimes there are "firearms for sale pages" and or reloading pages. I have put up a WTB post, and have had decent results, even up here in AK.

Once you get your stuff ordered, I would suggest having another shooter that is local help you set up the press. I had offers from multiple people when I got my first progressive. Without their help, I would have wasted a lot more time than I needed.

Welcome to the addiction.