Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal 7.62 barrel for 3gun

GetAwayDriva

If you are only using it for Heman nationals and no other hoser type shooting then I'd go no shorter than 18". Especially if using true irons. I'd lean towards a 20". Extra velocity and you aren't giving up much since there is minimal amount of close up targets requiring quick transitions. Twist depends on the bullets you want to use. Contour is also personal preference. Again, a heavier gun isn't as detrimental at that match. A few reasonably priced barrels include Black Hole Weaponry and Criterion, among several others.

With the caveat of "reasonably priced" since it will probably be used once a year at Heman in Raton. What would be the ideal length, twist, contour, brand? Also what kind of muzzle brake?

Thanks!

This is a decent barrel for the price. Mine is consistent at 1.5" with PPU 168 gr, haven't tried with FED Gold Match to see how much better it would do. Looks like it is made by BHW http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-308-barrel-16-ss

With the caveat of "reasonably priced" since it will probably be used once a year at Heman in Raton. What would be the ideal length, twist, contour, brand? Also what kind of muzzle brake?

Thanks!

This is a decent barrel for the price. Mine is consistent at 1.5" with PPU 168 gr, haven't tried with FED Gold Match to see how much better it would do. Looks like it is made by BHW http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-308-barrel-16-ss

• 1 year later...

Rick, loaded with a 20 round mag and a scope, that's a crazy heavy gun for running around with. However, mine is also crazy accurate.

There's a famous gunsmith in Houston (has the same name as a famous comedian) who cuts, threads and turns them down. It's still crazy accurate and very manageable.

Since you already have the gun, might be worth taking a look.

Kurtm, I've been told that as we get older we'll loose two things, one is the sex drive, and I don't remember what the other one is.

BTW, it's spelled Christi.

Did we just do a thread Hi-jack? If so, I apologize to the OP for the both of us.

GetAwayDriva, an 18 or 20 medium Criterion will get you everything you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I took delivery of that DPMS LR-308 with the 24" bull barrel. Holy crap, ladies and gentlemen! This thing not only weighs a friggin' ton, but all the weight is up front. Most of the gun is aluminum and hollow plastic, and then you've got this two foot, inch thick chunk of steel hanging off the end.

Let me offer some clarification here; this is my first AR of any kind, ever. I've always been a wood and blue steel guy, and I'm now having to look at YouTube videos to learn the manual of arms and general ins and outs of this thing. So here I am practicing dropping the mag, reloading, charging (which is a PITA, by the way; who thought this was a good design?), locking back the bolt, etc..., and this thing handles like the proverbial pig on a shovel.
Upside - I've read enough to believe that this configuration is a surprisingly good shooter off the bench, so I don't want to cut the barrel. I'll invest in a good trigger, and play with some handloads and see what it'll do.

Downside: If I actually want to run and gun, I need to start looking at a light-contour 18" upper.

**Sigh**