Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do I need to know to to switch from 38 super to 9mm

Glock34Guy83

So I have a great opportunity to buy a tripp 2011 chambered in 38 super with 7 mags a holster and mag pouches for a good price. The thing is I don't load for 38 super and don't have any brass for it. After some research I found that the 38 super brass is quite expensive. I was wondering how hard it would be and what do I have to do to switch from 38 super to 9mm. Is it as simple as buying a new barrel add having it fitted and buying spacers for the mags? I figured there must be quite a few members on here that have gone through this process and would be able to guide me in the right direction. Sorry if a post like this already exists. I did a search and came up empty.

Steve thanks I will give it a shot. I have a ton of 9 brass and I already load 9 so it would be better for me. My next question is I have 3 powders on hand and I would like to know if anyone has load data for 9 major. I have VV N320, Win 231 and bullseye. Using 124 xtreme or 124 bayou bullets. Any help would be appreciated.

The powders you have are going to be way too fast to safely make major in 9mm. There are a number of powders available that can be safely used to make major. Some of these are HS-6, Autocomp, CFE Pistol, AA-7, Silhouette, 7625, 3N37, N350 and perhaps a few more. With the powder situation as it is, you have to take what you can find.

You may find that your Xtreme 124's will shed their plating at major velocities. Some people are reporting good success with coated bullets such as the Bayou bullets that you have. You might go to the 9mm reloading forum and do a search. You should be able to pull up lots of info on bullet/powder combinations. But as always, when developing a load, start low and work up using a chrono.

You will want slower powders like mentioned above. Most people use thick plated or coated lead bullets for major, in most cases the coated bullets are cheaper anyway.

I think you will find most people use jacketed hollow points or full metal jackets for major 9mm.

Not sure the last time a poll was done though.

What about minor? I don't shoot uspsa yet. I mostly shoot steel challenge, walls of steel and 1 pro-am match. With the comp would I need to change out my recoil spring for a lighter one to work the action? Or do open guns with comps not run well with minor loads?

If you don't need to make major, I have been using 231 for steel challenge with good results. I run 4.4 grs. of 231 and 124gr. RN Xtreme or Montana Gold. Like with all load data, proceed with caution.

With a comp? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to open guns.

I figured there must be quite a few members on here that have gone through this process and would be able to guide me in the right direction. Sorry if a post like this already exists. I did a search and came up empty.

Strange, about the search, as there had been some heated discussions on that subject! :) Down to outright nasty. :)

I would NOT shoot 9 mm through my 38 super gun especially at MAJOR pf... It can be done ( apparently) however, I would not. This is not what the gun is designed for. Get some 38 super brass and join the brass picking community.