Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do people start out with a Sig P226 but you don't find many in

daves_not_here

I've seen a lot of shooters thinking about competition favoring the Sig P226's.

I can understand why people would want that pistol. Similar to 1911 thinking.

Why aren't many running them in competition? What are the things about this gun that doesn't make it suitable?

I don't want to make this a rant but I'd like to give some good direction to the new shooters who show up with a P226 in a Serpa.

Any other suggestions to set them up for success would be helpful.

Thanks,

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many of them come with LE/Defense oriented triggers.

bore axis is high, creating lots of muzzle-flip.

since they're not popular, aftermarket crap (pretty anodized basepads, etc...) not easily available.

Those are just guesses. My agency issues 226's but I see very very few in competition.

I used to shoot IDPA with a P228 (think compact 226). I think the high bore axis issue is more hype than reality. If you have a good grip you shouldn't notice it. Why do I no longer shoot it anymore? With a thumbs forward grip I got tired of interfering with the slide stop from doing is job when the mag emptied. Also got tired of long trigger reset and I made the mistake of holding a M&P Pro while just "looking" one day at a Gun shop (it followed me home).

Edited by Fordfan485

I think the high bore axis issue is more hype than reality. If you have a good grip you shouldn't notice it.

I can't get a good grip with the stock grips our guys get issued. May just be me. I haven't had that problem with m&p, 1911, cz, etc...

Grip and trigger were my first suspicions on why they aren't common in competition.

Unfortunately I think these are subtle things that won't be important to enough to a P226 fan. Luckily they're quality guns and you really don't lose your money re-selling them.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Having to start decocked with the hammer down is a huge disadvantage at least to me. I just can't get that first DA shot of as quickly or as well as with a SA (1911, etc.) I know some of the top shooters can do it well, but I'll stick with what works for me. I like the 226 pistols and have a couple Sigs I carry.

Having to start decocked with the hammer down is a huge disadvantage at least to me. I just can't get that first DA shot of as quickly or as well as with a SA (1911, etc.) I know some of the top shooters can do it well, but I'll stick with what works for me. I like the 226 pistols and have a couple Sigs I carry.

what? that's only an issue if you're shooting a sig in limited. if you're shooting in production, everyone starts with the hammer down (and i you practice, it is not a significant disadvantage compared to SA).

what? that's only an issue if you're shooting a sig in limited. if you're shooting in production, everyone starts with the hammer down (and i you practice, it is not a significant disadvantage compared to SA).

You still have have the hammer down (see rule 8.1.2) since there is no safety , therefore you can't holster a Sig with the hammer cocked.

What is ironic is in the USPSA rule book sigs are used in most of the pictures.

Edited by Fordfan485

You still have have the hammer down (see rule 8.1.2) since there is no safety , therefore you can't holster a Sig with the hammer cocked.

You mean like every other good production gun?

I was refering to in limited/limited-10. Since there is no safety you cant start with the hammer cocked.

I was refering to in limited/limited-10. Since there is no safety you cant start with the hammer cocked.

Dang. You would have to practice. That would suck.

I see lots of new shooters show up with Sigs, I think Sig makes a fine pistol and they have a very comfortable grip and and that helps gun stores sell them to new shooters. those shooters start shooting at a static range not from a holster and almost never from the hammer down and have some fun so they come try some USPSA or IDPA and they have to start hammer down and they have never practiced this much so they suffer on that first shot, being normal people they go back to the gun shop and buy something that doesn't have a DA trigger to fix their first shot problem. whats funny is if we let this play out long enough and they stay playing in production they may well end up in the market for a all metal DA gun again.

I would add that the price for the gun and mags turn people off - MHO. Gun and 5 mags will cost you about $1000 while Glocks or M&P will cost around $700. You can get a short reset trigger (SRT) to take care of the longer reset of the trigger.

You can buy a Glock, M&P, or XDM, put a trigger kit in it and be way below the cost of a Sig 226. I like the DA/SA guns for carry, but not for competition. Much easier way to be competitive.

You can buy a Glock, M&P, or XDM, put a trigger kit in it and be way below the cost of a Sig 226. I like the DA/SA guns for carry, but not for competition. Much easier way to be competitive.

So that's why the majority of top shooters in production don't use DA/SA guns?

oh, wait.....

There's a few that can rock a DA/SA. I took a class from Ben Stoeger and he was amazing with his Beretta 92. But he's Ben Stoeger and I'm me, therein lies the problem.

You mean he practices?

Seems like most production shooters that practice are just as fast and accurate in DA out to 10 yards or so, and only a tenth or so slower at tighter shots.

there is something about them where they don't seem to work well, intuitively when you're shooting a gun game. I've had two sigs for the game and sold both. a great work gun, not a great game gun. it they were, they would be.

I shoot a Sig 9mm AllRound. The DA/SA thing can be overcome. I think the biggest reason is cost, and although after market sights and grips are around you have to search to find what you want. I look at CZ's , Sigs, and Berettas about the same. Sigs are heavier so recoil is less but transitions are slower because you are swinging more mass.

I used a Sig 226 for years in IDPA for SSP but when I tried a Glock I realized the trigger reset and trigger action in general could be so much better and faster I kept the Sig as a house gun for defensive use. The Sig is a very good gun but the Glock is better suited to competition - I use my G35 in USPSA for Limited.

I've seen a lot of shooters thinking about competition favoring the Sig P226's.

I can understand why people would want that pistol. Similar to 1911 thinking.

Why aren't many running them in competition? What are the things about this gun that doesn't make it suitable?

I don't want to make this a rant but I'd like to give some good direction to the new shooters who show up with a P226 in a Serpa.

Any other suggestions to set them up for success would be helpful.

Thanks,

DNH

Well, it really isn't similar to a 1911 at all, at least in the way it shoots. Maybe it's design is more or less based on the Browning design, but that is it.

I'd have to say most people don't use it in competition because of the high bore axis and initial cost of the pistol compared to the stryker fired pistols. Not to mention the horrible double action trigger. If you stretch it to Limited then you start to get killed by minor PF scoring or low mag capacity....take your pick.

With that said, I've been issued 226 type pistols for many years and they are reliable and accurate. And with that said, I NEVER carry them on duty.........

If cost and the DA/SA are holding you back from using a SIG in competition you can consider a SIG P320 which is their new striker fired gun. I picked one up a month ago for just over $500 and am really liking it so far. I expect to see much more competition oriented aftermarket support for this gun then there has been for some other SIGs in the past.

I started out shooting steel challenge with a Sig 9mm a few years back. I realized I was too dumb to learn how to pull the trigger two different ways.

Also as someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of good aftermarket support. This sucks for people that like to mod their guns.

I ended up selling both of my DA/SA guns and getting all striker fired pistols.

No one has said anything inherently bad about the P226 but only compares the trigger to other pistols and lack of aftermarket parts.

I think I'm going to try out the following analogy to new competitors going the P226 route.

"Using a P226 in competition is like driving a Formula One race with a Hummer. No one is going to say the vehicle is bad but you really aren't competitive because the vehicle is not suitable for what you're doing with it."

I happen to like P226's and consider them fine guns, but have never considered them for competition.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.

DNH