Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do people start out with a Sig P226 but you don't find many in

daves_not_here

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial question wasn't really about what's the best gun to start with. It was, why do you see a lot of people start out with a Sig and not stick with it? Honestly, I think it's because the Sig was what they had (the impetus for Production, right?), but they notice that almost all of the other shooters are shooting some other gun that's not as expensive and can be modified cheaply. And a lot of those shooters will recommend their favorite striker gun over the Sig the guy or gal showed up with because of that.

With the exception of springs, Production modification in Sigs means the stock internal parts need to be tuned. There just aren't a lot of drop-in alternatives on the market currently. If you're talking Lim or Lim10, then there's also a lack of mag capacity that will always hamper them. I do think the reset is an issue. I was really pleased with the short reset I got in my 226 from GGI. And I was disappointed that the X5 Allround I bought several years later did not come fitted with the SRT that Sig had come out with a few years earlier. In a competition-oriented gun, I would have preferred that. But I also realize they have a larger competition presence overseas, and they are trying to make the guns amenable to all of the various games for which they can be used.

As for grips, I'd say there is actually quite a selection out there. Hogue makes a TON of grips for Sigs - rubber, aluminum, wood, and G-10, all in various textures. There are also the stock plastic panels and E2 grips from Sig. All Production legal. Combine the right grip with the various trigger reach options (standard, short, and GGI's intermediate), and you can fit the gun well to a number of people.

So I would think the biggest reason people don't stick with it is the cost of modification. The more you shoot and talk to other shooters, the more you want to try this or that mod. You want a lighter or smoother trigger, a shorter reset, more aggressive grips, etc. Sending the gun to a gunsmith or back to Sig for work is a lot more expensive than buying some modified drop-in parts. And G-10 grips cost a lot more than a woodburning tool to stipple a polymer frame.

JAFO makes a lot of sense here. USPSA is a lot about tinkering, and the more you can do, the better. I've spent many hours with my guns and tools, and that's part of the fun.

However, as many have pointed out, the bottom line is still practice, skills, and more practice. Just watch somebody cookin' through a stage with their non-tricked carry gun and we know they can shoot. It's not just the gear.

We could all probably do better with better equipment, as we progress, but it's still about the skill. But, hey, the gear is part of the fun, so why not?

Edited by teros135

However, as many have pointed out, the bottom line is still practice, skills, and more practice. Just watch somebody cookin' through a stage with their non-tricked carry gun and we know they can shoot. It's not just the gear.

I shoot with a guy that has overalled some of our matches with his carry gun from concealment shooting minor. Practice wins matches

Let it simply be said that I took a lot of negative comments about "high bore axis" and "the lousy SIG trigger" from a lot of shooters I beat, but only a few such comments from the real greats that bested me, and who generally knew better. Fact is, if a higher bore axis alone is an impassible barrier to competitiveness, then 1911's and many other platforms also are impossible to win with. And, at the risk of shameless self-promotion I'll put a properly built SIG competition action against ANYTHING else. Period.

It's funny. I've only shot my Beretta a couple times at USPSA matches (only once after getting it back from Dave Olhasso) and I've already had to endure one "use a real gun" comment.

I think ultimately it's a matter of settling on your chosen pistol, getting the trigger and sights where you need them, and then just spending the time putting the rounds down range with the gun. I'm sure some pistols are better than others, but I've seen enough people shoot really well with the Beretta series pistols in USPSA matches to come to the conclusion there isn't any reason why you can't excel with a Sig product like the venerable P226.

And don't the Navy special warfare people use a P226 variant? Bet they aren't complaining about high bore axis....

When it come to absolute reliability, I don't think there is a better platform out there, period.

Funny, you couldn't be more spot on.

I carried a DA/SA gun my entire military career. Starting with the M9 and then Switching to the .40 DAK P229 when we got picked up by DHS. I never felt the DA/SA or the DAK was a setback, it just needed training. I never, let me repeat this, NEVER have had an issue with any of my sig pistols. I mean absolute utter reliability from the get go, no break in, and fantastic accuracy considering the smaller-ish barrel.

I didn't start shooting competitively until after I left the service, which at the time the fad meant I bought a glock g35 and did the normal mods. For at least 2 years I struggled to shoot it well... I ended up going back to the 226 and 228 when I would get frustrated by the sea of Charlie Mikes because I could hit with it.

Fast forward now a few years and I have switched to the 2011 platform and I am quite happy... I think if it were not for the cost of an X5 or X6 I would consider shooting one, but as it stands I can get a SVI for the cost of one here in this stupid state...

• 2 weeks later...

I run a 226 in limited and do just fine with it. I would like to get a X-5 but the wifey wants a new witness match elite first. Once you add a SRT and practice with it the trigger is no longer a issue. (at least for me, I am not any were near good enough for it to be yet) As I improve it will go away in favor of something else I am sure. Problem is I haven't found something I like better yet. My wife runs a CZ and really likes that. She was running a sig before but found the low bore of the cz to be much easier for her to shoot instinctively. I think sometimes people get to hell bent on wanting to run what everyone else is. The best thing I have found for new shooters is to have them use what is comfortable for them. If its comfy and they will tend to shoot it more often and enjoy it more. The more often they shoot the better they get. Just my 2 cents.

I run a 226 in limited and do just fine with it. I would like to get a X-5 but the wifey wants a new witness match elite first. Once you add a SRT and practice with it the trigger is no longer a issue. (at least for me, I am not any were near good enough for it to be yet) As I improve it will go away in favor of something else I am sure. Problem is I haven't found something I like better yet. My wife runs a CZ and really likes that. She was running a sig before but found the low bore of the cz to be much easier for her to shoot instinctively. I think sometimes people get to hell bent on wanting to run what everyone else is. The best thing I have found for new shooters is to have them use what is comfortable for them. If its comfy and they will tend to shoot it more often and enjoy it more. The more often they shoot the better they get. Just my 2 cents.

As I posted earlier, I shoot a 226. I have tried many different guns over the years and decided to stay with my carry gun. I am not a threat to anyone at a match and shoot for the practice and the company.

There are a lot of things that can be done with a 226 to make it the way you want it but many see what others shoot and just switch guns rather than stick to one. The SA/DA is a drawback for many but as a revolver shooter, it is not an issue.

I have several top ends for the 226 in 3 calibers so I can shoot it in Production in 9MM or Limited/L10 in 357SIG or 40S&W. I am now one of those one pistol guys haveing pretty much sold everything else. I stick to the Sig platform.

Here are a couple pictures of my Limited/L10 top end. The gun weighs about the same as a 228 but has a longer sight radius. When I get back to shooting (Hopefully by August) I will be using this in L10. It has Short trigger, Short reset and Aluminum grips that are coated by Jim Shanahan

20141224_132042_resized_1_zpsdd0eb680.jp

20141224_164037_resized_1_zps15af334e.jp

Round_Gun_Shooter. that is perrty!! who did the mill work on your slide? And do you still have the X-5? If so do you want to sell it??

X5 was way too heavy and was sold. Mill work was completed by a friend (Member here) who is a very talented gunsmith and machinist. Decent shooter too :)

Slide was refinished at Sig

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

• 4 years later...

I have a sig 226 equinox in 40 cal with trigger job. The reason I’m not using it coz it’s just to sexy for competition. I was thinking of buying g34 or cz 75. Once I have those guns then i let you know what’s the difference 

@Marlo don’t dredge up old posts and reply to them in order to run yourself up to 50 posts. Poor form, and you might mysteriously find your post count reset to zero... that’s happened at least once.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife started with a P229 SAO (.45 ACP) in IDPA, but it didn't really fit in any USPSA division when we switched over. She's incredibly accurate with it. She move on to Steel Challenge Rimfire and is getting back into USPSA with PCC. The Sig is still her nightstand gun. 

I shoot the P226 Legion SAO in 9mm in Limited at this point. I know it's not major scoring, but for now it fits me well and I can control it solidly. It's a tack driver, that's for sure.