Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame life and round count

gregshin

So i'm thinking of just building a new upper for my current 9mm STI gun for competition.

I've been using an 8lb recoil spring for my reloads and was wondering how long can a STI steel frame last shooting minor loads?

I have no intention going to open...just sticking with minor power factor.

I'm thinking since a 9mm minor it should last forever right?

Never replaced a frame just sold guns after 3 barrels/comps to get something new. Cracked my first slide this year with around 75K. Almost every other single part on a 2011 I have worn out or broke. In no particular order Grip, Sear, Hammer, FP Stop, Pins, Extractor, Ejector are the common wear parts

200k infinity shooting only coated major bullets. Second barrel and slide

cracked the frame on the rails in 2 places. Hairline about 3 mm. Had these tig welded at about 150k and no new cracks after that.

Edited by Jasonub

My first thought was the 8# recoil spring seems a little light for a 1911 shooting 9mm? I thought the typical spring weight for 9mm in a full-size 1911 was 12 lbs? (38 super is 13 lbs, factor load 45's are 16 lbs) If you're concerned about frame life, maybe go a pound or two higher with the recoil spring?

I am glad this was brought up. Here in CA it is VERY hard to get STI frames/guns. And after the first of the year the only way to get one would be via private party (face to face) transaction with one that is already here.

So that means the ones I own now will probably be it until I move to a "free" state. Glad to hear that one can put some milage on them.