Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headlight lens polishing kits

Do these things work? Our 13 year old van has headlights that are almost completely opaque. The effectiveness of the headlights is cut drastically. I was going to pick up one of the kits and tinker over Christmas. Any thoughts? Experiences? Alternatives? tips?etc...

Thanks

Kevin

Yep, they work if you put in the time and follow the directions.

^ Key.

I did the 3M kit. I went through 2 fully charged (newer) Dewalt 18v batteries. It felt like it wasn't going great. I probably could have took even more time with it. Turned out decent.

Get a bucket or something comfortable to sit on. You will be there a while.

I would do it again, if needed.

I have done this using both kits and just basic sanding and polishing techniques. My experience has been that is works better on the older style headlights which were not "see through". My 2001 F250 for example. The totally clear, see through lenses, like found on most cars today, require more work. It all depends on how bad the oxidation is.

Essentially you are sanding off the oxidized layer and then buffing it back out.

I used a drill with a cord to avoid the battery issues. It does take some time to do this.

Edited by ToddKS

3M works great but take the time to mask off your hood and bumper or you'll spend more time cleaning the splatter than you did polishing the lights. You can also go a step further and remove the lenses and after polishing them spray them with a couple of coats of clear coat. I use clear engine enamel as it's pretty tough and resists stone chips well.

Essentially you are sanding off the oxidized layer and then buffing it back out.

Makes me wonder if it might go faster if you used a cotton cloth slightly damped in acetone to lightly rub the surface before polishing. That might remove some of the dead surface. I do that on my wife's saturn tail lights that cloud up badly and it usually helps.

Edited by bountyhunter

Ok here's the deal. I have used these products a lot. I work for a fleet. Probably done well over 200 vehicles. So...

When you use one of these products you are sanding off the oxide which formed on the lens. As well as the sun induced "haze". When you do this you are creating very very small scratches in the surface of the lens. Which actually accelerates the process of it reoccurring again, which it will.

Now here's the trick. After you get the lens all pretty again, clear coat it. We have done this in the fleet and it greatly prolongs the repair. If you can remove the lens assembly fairly easily, and know someone that can airbrush, you will likely never have to do it again. If you don't clear coat the lenses, likely life is 2-3 years.

Hope that helps.

I don't know guys........ So far in all the videos I have seen the headlights are in pretty good shape before they even start working on them compared to mine. Like I said, mine are so bad that sitting in front of the garage door in the dark with the lights on, it looks like the parking lights are on only. The lenses are white like skim milk. I don't mind putting in the work to fix them but so far I have not seen any demonstrated that are anywhere near as bad as mine.

I too used the 3M kit to polish my lenses on my 96 Silverado and it brought them back to probably 90% clear. Am going to start applying Plexus Plastic Cleaner/Protector on a monthly basis to the now clear lenses as I have read that doing so definitely helps to keep the lenses clear longer.

Have done lenses that were literally opaque. Completely shot. They do clean up sarge.

3M has a product that comes in a black bottle. It works awesome with just a slightly moist shop rag. That's all I use. Have tried most of the products out there and the 3M bottle is easily the best option.

As I said, have done hundreds. If you wish I can help you with it. Only takes roughly 30 minutes total.

I don't know guys........ So far in all the videos I have seen the headlights are in pretty good shape before they even start working on them compared to mine. Like I said, mine are so bad that sitting in front of the garage door in the dark with the lights on, it looks like the parking lights are on only. The lenses are white like skim milk. I don't mind putting in the work to fix them but so far I have not seen any demonstrated that are anywhere near as bad as mine.

Sarge, I'm in the same situation with one of our cars.... a 2001 Expedition. They can be toooo far gone to be salvaged. I am getting ready to sell this one, I'm debating on trying to sand/buff out 13 years of oxidation, buy new headlights, or leave it...

Have done lenses that were literally opaque. Completely shot. They do clean up sarge.

3M has a product that comes in a black bottle. It works awesome with just a slightly moist shop rag. That's all I use. Have tried most of the products out there and the 3M bottle is easily the best option.

As I said, have done hundreds. If you wish I can help you with it. Only takes roughly 30 minutes total.

Over the holidays I'm going to pull it in the garage and go to work with one of the kits and a drill. The black bottle I will have on hand will probably have JD in it. :cheers:

I will take a before and after pic and let you guys be the judge.

3M works great but take the time to mask off your hood and bumper or you'll spend more time cleaning the splatter than you did polishing the lights. You can also go a step further and remove the lenses and after polishing them spray them with a couple of coats of clear coat. I use clear engine enamel as it's pretty tough and resists stone chips well.

Is the clear engine enamel you mention available at auto parts stores? Or is it more of an Automotive paint store kind of product? Thanks!!

Is the clear engine enamel you mention available at auto parts stores? Or is it more of an Automotive paint store kind of product? Thanks!!

I use the Dupli-Color clear engine enamel which is available at any auto parts store.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-engine-enamel-clear-12-oz.-aerosol-de1636/7140673-P

It sprays on cloudy but dries clear so don't worry about the way it looks wet. It's actually better because you can see if you put enough on.

I use the Dupli-Color clear engine enamel which is available at any auto parts store.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-engine-enamel-clear-12-oz.-aerosol-de1636/7140673-P

It sprays on cloudy but dries clear so don't worry about the way it looks wet. It's actually better because you can see if you put enough on.

Got it and thanks for the tip!