Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better grip single stack or double stack 1911s?

BarnSide

What in your opinion provides a better 1911 grip single stack or double stack?

Define better for you? Are you talking better feel or something else? With VZ type grip panels, you can certainly build a single stack with extremely "grippy" grips. As far as double stack 1911s go, none of the stippled grips felt as "grippy" to me as grip tape and now you can get steel grips with super aggressive micro pockets too.

As far as feel goes, for me, the best feeling grip is the Signature Grip on the Infinity Widebody pistols.

Thanks for the replies

I was just asking generically, as I’m trying to figure out what would be more conducive to a better grip.

Wouldn't the wider body make it harder for most?

If it were simply wider I'd say yes. But the Signature grip is larger in the "right"areas for me, which forces my hand higher into the bevertail.

The wide body feels better to me and I have better results. Not so much in a wider grip, but where the width is.. The wide body grip has a lot more right at the front strap, the extra width there makes for more gripping area at the base of my fingers.

This all probably means crap though as I have easily spent 1000 to 1 more time shooting a 2011 to a 1911.

If that were reversed I'm sure I'd have a similar reason why the 1911 grip feels better.

This all probably means crap though as I have easily spent 1000 to 1 more time shooting a 2011 to a 1911.

If that were reversed I'm sure I'd have a similar reason why the 1911 grip feels better.

Very important point. It's taken me a few months of shooting a tac-sport to really be able to get a good grip on the wider frame. If you have reasonably normal sized hands, you should be able to make either gun work for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought my Trojan grip was nice till I picked up an Edge... Now I want to make the Trojan grips more like the 2011. All that aside though, you have to handle a variety of guns yourself to decide what fits YOU. Go to a range or a gun counter and have someone place grips in your hands while you have your eyes closed... Don't be influenced by marketing and other peoples opinions. Feel what fits YOU.

I used thin grips on a 1911 for years and loved it. One of the things I worried about was the fat grip on a 2011. I bought a Cameron Limited gun and now prefer the fat grip so much I bought a Perlman grip for my 1911.

Go figure.