Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 2-Gun National Championships (USCA)

Given number of registered shooters is there any chance of moving this back to a two day format instead of a three day?

Three days seems like an overkill.

I would also be interested in some alternatives for the safety briefing. I live local-ish but will still have an hour and a half drive each direction and if I do that on two fewer days then it would be wonderful.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From an MD point of view if I can. You set the schedule based on number of participants. That number plus number of stages drives the number of days. You are a week out while changing it for a few may be convienant for some but you must consider those who don't live locally that are flying in and have already made plane reservations. Not a perfect situation but take a moment to consider the big picture.

Also, this allows some flexability if there is bad weather such as a storm, you may be able to cancel the whole day and not shoot in the rain......anyone remember in 2006 when the first half day of the Summer Blast was cancelled due to the range being flooded.....had that only been a two day match we would not have been able to get everyone through the match.

From an MD point of view if I can. You set the schedule based on number of participants. That number plus number of stages drives the number of days. You are a week out while changing it for a few may be convienant for some but you must consider those who don't live locally that are flying in and have already made plane reservations. Not a perfect situation but take a moment to consider the big picture.

Also, this allows some flexability if there is bad weather such as a storm, you may be able to cancel the whole day and not shoot in the rain......anyone remember in 2006 when the first half day of the Summer Blast was cancelled due to the range being flooded.....had that only been a two day match we would not have been able to get everyone through the match.

I can appreciate this but I signed up for the match when it was advertised as a two day match. Furthermore a few weeks ago they seemed to be at less than half capacity so my assumption (perhaps incorrect) was that the schedule could be adjusted based on the actual number of competitors who will shoot. I hope they they have more now and either way I am looking forward to shooting the match.

more on transporting thru maryland:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/FAQ/TransportingFirearms.aspx

Transporting Firearms
DNN-minus.gif
Q. Can we travel to other states for competitions and return with our already owned banned firearms? Can someone come from another state, for competition in Maryland, with a banned rifle?
A: A Maryland resident who lawfully owned the firearm prior to October 1, 2013 may travel
with the firearm to other states and return so long as it is not a violation in the state you are
traveling to and the firearm is being transported in accordance with the law. A person may not
transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully
possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013.
Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland
but not to Maryland if the
firearm is not in compliance with state law.

Q. Can I legally transport my regulated firearm to the range?

A. Yes, however, Maryland and Federal laws require specific conditions be met while transporting a handgun. Please refer to Maryland Annotated Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203 for a detailed account of wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun. You may access the Maryland General Assembly website at
can access the Federal requirements through www.atf.gov and conduct a search for “27 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 178” and then
look for “Transportation of Firearms.”
The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from
the locations listed in the statute.

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate?

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible
from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

more on transporting thru maryland:

Q. Can we travel to other states for competitions and return with our already owned banned firearms? Can someone come from another state, for competition in Maryland, with a banned rifle?

A: A Maryland resident who lawfully owned the firearm prior to October 1, 2013 may travel with the firearm to other states and return so long as it is not a violation in the state you are traveling to and the firearm is being transported in accordance with the law. A person may not transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013. Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland but not to Maryland if the firearm is not in compliance with state law.

Ah, thanks. This is the first time I have seen MDSP addressing the issue. Personally, I would still be wary about declaring such a rifle at BWI if I were from out of state, but that's just because I know the MDSP has something of a history of arresting first and sorting out later when it comes to firearms enforcement.

http://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/usca-prod/3-3-2/images/pdf/2015USCANationalsStageDescriptions.pdf

stages posted.

round count based on that is 208 pistol and 232 rifle (assuming two shots per target, some pistol and rifle targets are steel so might only require one shot if no misses, but for some of us might require more than that...).

either way, somewhat less than the proposed round count of 300p 400r

max range 500 yards.

bmiller-can't imagine any need or requirement for lights at this match. this facility doesn't have any indoor ranges.

Quick rules question. Why does the rifle safety need to be on when the chamber is empty, and what will be the penalty if the gun is empty but the safety is off?

I did note an exception for firing the gun until it locks open but I could see this additional step of having both an empty gun and requiring the safety to be engaged as something that could trip a lot of people up.

Edited by alma

Not intended to be a walk through. Intended to be some more examples of the types of stages, terrain and challenges this match will have to offer.

Great stuff! thank you for sharing.

basically if you pepper the bad guy but just wing him, you get a failure to neutralize penalty. your shots (best two per target) are then scored based on how near or far from center of mass/target they are. two separate scores at work.