Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Blue Dillon" color code

some auto body supply places or body shops have a optical reader that can read the color and give out a paint mix code. They use it to match faded paint. or at least they used to. Its been a few year since I have seen one.

some auto body supply places or body shops have a optical reader that can read the color and give out a paint mix code. They use it to match faded paint. or at least they used to. Its been a few year since I have seen one.

The problem with automotive paint, unless it is in a premix rattle can, it is SUPER EXPENSIVE. The government has created so many regulations that even the cheap enamel isn't so cheap anymore. I had to buy some last year and would have spent almost $300 on the cheap stuff, so I just bought a decent grade base/clear and spent $500 instead. :surprise: Should be able to get the blue from the local parts store, and if that fails, a place like Summit racing would have it.

Why don't you let Dillon restore it? They might even replace the frame with a new (painted) one. Worth a call to see what they say.

I'm in Italy, I think it could be very expensive to ask for a restore, not to mention a full body replacement. God only knows how much I'd like to live in US... :-)

• 1 month later...

Legend claims Dillon Percision blue is old ford motor blue. Dillon even claims this is their touch up paint.

I tried it and it's not even close.

It is blue, but that's it.

It's a tightly held secret on the color code as the frames are powder coated and the plastics are injected molded.

There is a code for both.

You will not get it from Dillon.

You can computer color match it with around 95% accuracy and have Sherwin Williams make it for you in rattle can form.

As far as plastic parts, die boxes and Akro bins color, forget a paint code.

They all vary depending on vendor producing them and they are injected molded with the plastic media colored.

Akro-mills will not even sell you the Dillon color bins they make for them.

Your cheapest, fastest non custom and locally sourced paint I found that is a extremely scary close match is Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Paint Satin Oasis.

Remember if your trying to match a powder coated frame or injected molded plastic part with enamel spray paint, your chasing the dragon.

This is the best match off the shelf enamel spray paint out there and compliments both coloring technology's perfectly in the middle.

Not 100% match of the powder coat color, (lighter)

Not 100% of the injected molded plastic parts color, (darker)

And by lighter and darker I mean so slightly off that different angles and lighting I can barely see any difference.

Found on the shelf at your favorite large chain home improvement center store.

My quest has ended after many failed attempts and my hope is someone else will not have to suffer the trials tribunes and pains I have.

I am now satisfied with the end result and can sleep well.

And I don't care what anybody says, this is my story and I'm sticking with it.

Old ford motor blue in middle.

post-51186-0-09614400-1423414239_thumb.j

Good luck and live long.

Edited by Prebaned

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I thought I’d update this thread with my own experience today. I fabricated a bullet tray from something else that was plastic and painted it with Rust-Olium 2X primer/paint in Oasis Satin Blue. This is my observation: it’s close, and it’s a near match for the plastic boxes the Dillon conversion kits and dies come in, but it’s a fair bit lighter than the color of the press itself. Perhaps the press really is painted in old Ford motor Blue:

Edited by trickg

Well if you want exact, powder coat is the only way.

The cats out of the bag.

Mollycoddle blue PWS-3016/Wrinkle  Prismatic powders.

The twist is, they have "discontinued" this color.

Read into that as much as you like, but it's pretty obvious they have been tapped by the powers to be.

bf59b3850f5fcb499dac720f511441c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

From what I see with the things on my reloading bench, even Dillon isn't consistent across their product line on the color of blue they use.  I have the press mounted tool kit that includes the die wrench and allen wrenches, and the blue rubberization on the angle of allen wrenches isn't the same color of blue as the press, nor are the plastic boxes that the dies and conversion kits come in.

I mounted my bullet tray solution this morning, but I didn't take a pic of it yet - I'll do that and post it up here later.  It's not so far off that it's distracting, but it could stand to be a touch darker.