Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Releasing the Thumb Safety on a CZ Tactical Sport

Bart Solo

This year I am going shoot a CZ Tactical Sport in limited. I picked it up this PM. Working with it a little I realize that my strong side thumb isn't long enough to smoothly and quickly reach the thumb safety. It seems to me the best alternative move would be to release the safety with my weak side thumb as I obtain my grip while extending the pistol. Is there a better technique?

Edited by Bart Solo

Used a CZ Checkmate for a couple of months and found it to be a challenge to learn how to release the thumb safety. And I developed a huge blood blister on my strong hand where the ambi thumb safety rubbed. Loved the gun but was glad to give it back when my 2011 was fixed and back in my hands... Not a fan...

My hands are average size but my thumbs are a little short. The thumb safety on a 1911 isn't a problem but on the tactical sport it is a challenge. After the suggestion above I visited the CZ Custom site. They have a replacement that solves the problem.

Edited by Bart Solo

Do people who have difficulty with reaching thumb safeties have problems reaching the mag release with the same thumb?

I had to put the extended safety on my Tac Sport too, but have no problem reaching the extended mag release that comes on the gun. I'm thinking that the problem is that being an old Single Stack guy I'm used to the 1911 safety and resting my thumb on it. The larger CZ Custom safety puts my thumb in the same position that it "remembers".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a CZ TS before, but I had problem with the safety as well. First of all, the grip was just too big for my hands. I installed the extended grip safety, and it helped, but I don't shoot with my thumb over the safety, but rather next to it (its not comfortable for me to put my thumb over the safety) so... Anyway, I ended up bumping the safety up when I'm shooting sometimes, because the CZTS safety was really smooth and easily to be moved (no lock/click, like 1911), so I ended up selling it.