Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 for deer hunting

AWLAZS

I want to deer hunt with an AR-15. What should I chamber it in? I live in the north east a 200 yard shot would be a long one.

I am currently dragging around a Winchester model 70 in 30-06 around. It weighs a ton.

Edited by AWLAZS

223 with a solid copper or gilding metal projectile, something like the Hornady GMX loads would be perfect. If 200yds is your max distance you won't need anything more than that. Add in a low powered scope, decent marksmanship, stir well and that's your recipe for success. And this is based on personal experience, no armchair commando talk here. If you believe you could run into some longer shots and still wanna stick with the ar15 platform, 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would be next. I won't open any ballistics argument worm cans here though, that's been done plenty elsewhere.

I like the 6.5 better, but that's an opinion formulated around longer range steel ringing, for responsible game shooting ranges I would consider the 6.8 and 6.5 too close to call. I like to think of the 300 BO as a modern 30-30 with the same limitations. Perfectly useful inside of 250yds, after that not so good. If your interested in playing the wildcat game the skies the limit on what you can do, and Black Hole Weaponry has a pretty good selection of barrels in oddball ar15 wildcat chamberings.

I bought a 16" 300blk barrel just for hunting. With my prismatic on top it rings steel all day from 200yds and in. I wouldn't mind dragging it through the woods its super light.

I also just finished a 20" 6.5 Grendel. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it has really good ballistics for the size of the cartridge and i would rather use it for anything larger than a white tail.

300blackout is nice because you just need a new barrel.

6.5Grendel & 6.8 SPC require barrel/bolt/mags.

Edited by legacy

Don't put too much stock in all those comments about the BO not being a long range caliber. I have shot mine out to 600 with a 6.5x scope, and I'm sure we have all seen the Travis Haley video of him making hits at 750meters with nothing but a dot.

Anything can be a long range caliber with proper dope and practice.

I hunt deer with a blackout. It's plenty for deer. I would also be fine with 6.8. I am ignorant of hunting projectiles for the 6.5 but I'm sure they have to be out there. Build one, shoot it, and be merry.

It suddenly occurred to me that I remember reading in the FAQ's or somewhere about this being a competition based forum and hunting threads being frowned upon, I could be wrong though....

You are not wrong. The mods are asleep at the switch.

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

Randy,

If you aren't looking to shoot a lot of what ever caliber you choose, I'd look at the 6.8 first, .300 Black Out second, 6.5 Grendel third. I put the Grendel third only because factory ammo may be scarce and what is available may not have the best bullet for hunting. If you plan on loading your own ammo, I'd probably go with the Grendel first.

It suddenly occurred to me that I remember reading in the FAQ's or somewhere about this being a competition based forum and hunting threads being frowned upon, I could be wrong though....

You are not wrong. The mods are asleep at the switch.

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

Guess I messed that one up. Sorry about that.

B45C22: I've rang steel out to 550yds with 5.45 and a Vortex Sparc. A hunting cartridge does not that make. Bullets fly a long ways past their effective range, just because they can get out there doesn't make it a good idea to hunt with them. If your talking about hunting paper or steel, by all means push the limits of your chosen cartridge and have fun, I know I have with 22lr out to 300yds and 223 out to 900 and all sorts of non optimal things like that.