Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"CZ 75 SHADOW RAIL" USPSA production legal?

librarian45

Hey, total noob here so if this post is janky just nuke it.

I'm thinking of buying a CZ-custom gun for USPSA production.

I carry a SP01 and love it, so i figured and SP-01 shadow would be an ideal choice.

Well those are in short supply, but this is available

CZ75 Shadow Rail

***i'm not allowed to link it**

decribed as:

"This is a factory shadow with no firing pin blocks.
We have a very few on hand, same specifications as a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow but with a slide marked CZ 75 Shadow."

Will this gun be good-to-go in USPSA production or will the wonky rarity make it a limited gun?

Thanks

Be gentle! lol

to me, that sounds like a mix and match gun.

any old sp01 frame and with the sear set up with no fpb lifter and then the upper from a 75 shadow (originally a short dusct cover gun) thrown on. could you shoot this locally with no issue? pretty positive but don't hold your breath for any higher level matches.

My last Tactical Sport .40 came from the factory with a 'Standard' rollmark, apparently some came that way. Also they compare to some P01's that arrived to US marked as "CZ 75 Compact D". Seems like it's a factory "SP-01 Shadow" with non standard roll mark to let CZ build the guns based on slide batches they have?

I'm thinking of buying a CZ-custom gun for USPSA production.

I carry a SP01 and love it, so i figured and SP-01 shadow would be an ideal choice.

Well those are in short supply, but this is available

Worse than short supply - no supply. I bought a bone stock 'SP01 Shadow" a year ago last November, and that was the last time I saw one new from CZ. It then dropped off CZ-USA catalog for 2014, so only way to get is to order custom or Accu version from CZ Custom, Automatic Accuracy, or distribution. If you found a non-custom/non-accu one floating around new your were lucky. I'm totally open to being corrected on this, but my experience the last year.

CZ Custom shoots USPSA matches. Call or email Stuart and ask.

When I asked, he said "he would think" (edited/added) USPSA should be fine with it, its it exact in weight, profile, features.

... FWIW, I've personally bought one as a production backup gun for if my Accu-Shadow died at a match :-)

Edited by trgt

man you guys are awesome. THANKS!

I'll call CZC-HQ and ask them for the skinny on USPSA.

That said, I'm pretty "not-good," at this point, so I don't think I'd get too much hassle at matches.

If it's not production legal, maybe I'll try limited minor...

CZ Custom shoots USPSA matches. Call or email Stuart and ask.

When I asked, he said USPSA should be fine with it, its it exact in weight, profile, features.

... FWIW, I've personally bought one as a production backup gun for if my Accu-Shadow died at a match :-)

Actually I wrote. " I would think USPSA .....

but I can't speak for USPSA or IDPA.

Best to call them directly.

Edited by eerw

From the description I don't see why there would be an issue as the pistol is factory and was designated as a shadow. It would have a shadow serial number as well. The fact that the factory stamped the slide differently should not matter as long as it was this way from the factory. The slide appears to be the same, with the exception of it not being marked SP-01. I would think this may be common among manufacturers as model lines get changed. (I've seen an M&P model with 9m barrel marked with a 40S&W slide.)

<edit> Now that I've taken a look at the gun I wish I would have noticed it before ordering an SP-01 on Sunday.

Edited by mikeinctown

I looked at the gun a while back ... Decided that it should be legal ... But proving it would not be worth the hassle !!! Besides were these not a limited run of factory ooops ... No longer available???

Kingman - see attached if this helps - the gun from CZ factory is labeled and specified as "CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow", that's the same as normal. The factory simply used some slides they had with different roll mark for a batch.

post-48463-0-28745000-1416933995_thumb.j

Here it is from his E-mail

Yes, it's legal.

Please don't use this email address for any official USPSA business. Most of the questions I get on here go to spam.

Regards,

Troy

Edited by gary2232

Well I emailed Troy to get my own email to put in the range bag. Not the same response.

Troy,

I heard that the CZ Shadow Rail is approved for production. It is a SP01 Shadow without "SP01" marked on the rail. Will it be added to the production lists? Also, I assume will be at the same weight as the SP01 Shadow of 42 ounces.

Link of the pistol http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowrail9mm.aspx

Andrew

A82790

His reply.

This is the first I've heard that it was legal, but I'll inquire of the custom shop.

I would not assume the same weight, and until it's published on the production list, it's not legal.

Troy

Well I emailed Troy to get my own email to put in the range bag. Not the same response.

Troy,

I heard that the CZ Shadow Rail is approved for production. It is a SP01 Shadow without "SP01" marked on the rail. Will it be added to the production lists? Also, I assume will be at the same weight as the SP01 Shadow of 42 ounces.

Link of the pistol http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowrail9mm.aspx

Andrew

A82790

His reply.

This is the first I've heard that it was legal, but I'll inquire of the custom shop.

I would not assume the same weight, and until it's published on the production list, it's not legal.

Troy

Andrew, you may have asked the wrong question and perhaps caused confusion?

- the gun is designated "SP01 Shadow" from the factory just as a normal one, so there is no need to update the production list, it's a production approved gun, it's a "SP-01 Shadow"

- the label 'Shadow Rail' I believe is something CZ Custom does to keep this special batch separate in their inventory

- (you can see both of these from picture on mine above)

So the question, which my understanding Troy did reply to above, is that when it comes from the factory as a SP-01 Shadow, but the roll mark is different, are we OK? And that was yes, I believe.

The fact that Troy responded to you 'I would not assume the same weight' means that he doesn't understand what was asked, it's a SP-01 Shadow so the exact weight of a SP-01 Shadow :-)