Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which primers are easier to set off?

ES13Raven

I voted WSP, mostly because they seat in my press much easier than CCI for me, but Ive never had any problems with either of them going bang, even with the reduced power spriker spring in my XDM. For what its worth I believe Federal has the reputation of going bang when nothing else will.

I think I am going to buy some new cci and actually calculate this for all of us. I have a shadow with such a light spring that it will only set off federal reliably and even Winchester only go off between 70-80% of the time depending on conditions. I will load 200 rounds of practice 100 win 100 new cci and just count the light strikes in a practice session see if we can get a real answer. I am starting to develop the feeling that its not as clear cut as we may think from just shooting some random ammo I have had that I did not load since some of it must have been cci and it didn't seem to have any more or less light strikes than the practice ammo I loaded with win.

I think I am going to buy some new cci and actually calculate this for all of us. I have a shadow with such a light spring that it will only set off federal reliably and even Winchester only go off between 70-80% of the time depending on conditions. I will load 200 rounds of practice 100 win 100 new cci and just count the light strikes in a practice session see if we can get a real answer. I am starting to develop the feeling that its not as clear cut as we may think from just shooting some random ammo I have had that I did not load since some of it must have been cci and it didn't seem to have any more or less light strikes than the practice ammo I loaded with win.

That would be interesting to find out.

In my setup, federal is always, and cci is most of the time, but not reliable. But I have heard that win are just above federal in sensitivity. I once saw a chart that rated them but have not been able to find it again.

Edited by Mahlsan

I run primarily Glocks with reduced striker springs (ranging from 3.5 - 4.5# depending on the gun) with an extended/lightened striker. Out of all the other platforms I run my Glocks have the worst record of not setting off primers. Federal is my go to choice, but if I cant find them at my local shops, Winchester is next with CCI as the last go to choice. Having loaded them all, Federal has a better track record for me with a once in a blue moon failure. Winchester, I would maybe get 1 every match or so (so a ratio of 1/300), but CCIs I have had issues where I would have 3-4 in a single match (100-150 rounds).

Now this is only out of my Glocks, M&Ps I have ran usually don't have an issue, neither do my 1911/2011 platforms.

Edited by KTKlaus

Since you can find .45 ACP brass with both small and large primer pockets now, I did some experimenting with my 625 revolver about a year ago. To start off, Winchester Large primers weren't part of this, because something about the geometry of the 625 results in about 1/3 of Winchester Large primers not firing, in either a stock 625 or one with an extended firing pin and action work. That same ammo with Winchester Large would work perfectly, with zero failures to fire, out of any .45 ACP semi-auto I own.

So I made large quantities of .45 ACP ammo with the following primers: CCI Large, CCI Small, Winchester Small, Federal Small, and Federal Large. I'd fire test batches of 18 rounds of each (fortunately, training and primer testing mesh together perfectly). Then I'd back out the strain screw 1/4 turn and repeat, documenting the order in which primers would stop firing reliably.

From Hardest to Softest:

CCI Large

CCI Small

Winchester Small

Federal Large

Federal Small

Yes, there is a point where Federal Large won't always fire, but Federal Small always would. Obviously, Federal Small primers made up my match load for IDPA/USPSA after that.

I use only Federal for everything other than an emergency I might try WInchester. Only an act of desperation would get me to use CCI in any kind of handgun. Need a sledgehammer to set them off compared to Federal. I had used CCI for loads in a Garand and an AR. Since Federal came out with their match primer for AR's I've switched to that.

I prefer CCI. they work great in the dillon's and have never failed in my Glocks. I dont want a gun that requires Federal primers to be reliable. Federal makes a great primer and they have never failed me. However I believe CCI primers are no longer as hard as they were 20 years ago.

I am one of the lonely who voted CCI as softer. I had some issues with a few Winchester primers not going off and just assumed they were harder. They were definitely harder to seat in cases with my 550. I switched to CCI and have had no issues with primers not going off and they seat much better in my press. Thanks for the info guys.