Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 40 for limited and production?

DRichardson

I'm looking at trading a sti trojan 40 and the associated gear for a stock 2 40 and gear. On the surface it seem the stock 2 in 40 would be a great multi purpose gun. Shoot it as is with minor for production, add a magwell, extensions, and possibly a flat single action only trigger and shoot limited with major. Other than giving up a little sight radius over a tanfoglio limited gun is there anything I'm missing?

the only real difference between the limited that you can't easily change (apart from barrel/slide length which you mentioned) is the pre-drilled optic mount holes which on a limited gun can be used to mount a thumb rest.

otherwise there's nothing in it. it's a bit different in other markets where the limited comes with the lightened slide but from what I understand the US market guns just have the regular slide same as the stock 2.

magwell is easy to get and fit

SAO trigger is easy

bases for mag

away you go.

probably 99% as good as an actual 'limited'.just missing a tiny bit of length and some in the frame.

I'm looking at trading a sti trojan 40 and the associated gear for a stock 2 40 and gear. On the surface it seem the stock 2 in 40 would be a great multi purpose gun. Shoot it as is with minor for production, add a magwell, extensions, and possibly a flat single action only trigger and shoot limited with major. Other than giving up a little sight radius over a tanfoglio limited gun is there anything I'm missing?

You're not missing anything. I did the same thing.

How often do you think you would switch?

Not often. Usually I pick a division and shoot it for a year or so. I actually shoot open mostly but would like to get classified in production and limited at some point.

Most of my experience is with 1911 and 2011 guns but do the tanfos run ok on regular length ammo or is it best to long load 40 like for most 1911 and 2011's?

Edited by DRichardson

I do this as well. I use K40 mags for production and 10mm mags for limited.

[/quote

May I ask why the 2 different mags? I know you can load longer in the 10mm mags but if the K40 mags feed in production would they not feed in limited? I'm not being critical I'm just asking to learn. Thanks.

May I ask why the 2 different mags? I know you can load longer for 10mm mags but if the K40 mags feed in production wouldn't they feed in limited? I'm just asking to learn not to be critical. Thanks

May I ask why the 2 different mags? I know you can load longer for 10mm mags but if the K40 mags feed in production wouldn't they feed in limited? I'm just asking to learn not to be critical. Thanks

I was wondering this too. Only reason I can think is to be able to use really fast powders like clays or n310 at longer lengths?

"Load as long as you can" is a popular word of wisdom which I belive is rarely tested empirically, but is certainly rational enough given what is known about OAL, burn rates and bullet weights. There are some pushing the envelope to see where the limits are for their particular equipment:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205116&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

To me, loading long with non compensated pistols seems to run counter to the goal of a softer load since the longer the load the more powder it takes to make the same velocity.

• 4 months later...

My Stock II that I used to have in .40 shot soft in minor for production. Converting the trigger from SAO to DA/SA is not a pain at all. The Stock III in chambered in .40 does well too. It's production legal and I used it as a backup limited gun and the extra weight at the front helped with recoil running major loads

This whole concept of using a .40 for production is very interesting. Should have thought about that before buying my 9mm stock II. Nah, I like the 9!!!!

I know a few shooters who shoot .40 minor out of their Stock II's and love it. With the right load it's soft but I liked 9mm after all said and done better.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am shooting .40 Minor with my Stock 2. I am shooting Extreme 165 gr's seated at 1.135 with 4.0 grains of Titegroup. I was using BBI's with the same powder load, same weight but they ended feeling a little too soft in the gun.

Before when I ran 180's they were alright but super slow and felt very sluggish in the gun. The 165's from Extremes just are better for my gun in my opinion.

WJM

Edited by WJM

Right now I am shooting .40 Minor with my Stock 2. I am shooting Extreme 165 gr's seated at 1.135 with 4.0 grains of Titegroup. I was using BBI's with the same powder load, same weight but they ended feeling a little too soft in the gun.

Before when I ran 180's they were alright but super slow and felt very sluggish in the gun. The 165's from Extremes just are better for my gun in my opinion.

WJM

I'll have to try that load. Right now I'm using 180g Extreme's at 1.14 with 3.4 grains of Titegroup. Plenty accurate, but a bit sluggish as you mentioned...

• 2 weeks later...