Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between CZ75 Shadow and SP-01 Shadow

Supranatural

Is there anything that I would need the light rail for in a competition gun (thinking the production division of IPSC and USPSA)?

Other than the added weight, with some like and others don't - I can't think of anything.

If you ever wanted to use it to shoot a night/low light match the rail would be beneficial.

The SP-01 shadow is a SP-01 that has the Shadow marked slide (and no firing pin block IIRC) and been gone though by the CZ Custom shop already and has all the work done. This is why you will see it at $1200+ From what I understand, the frame is the same as the $670 SP-01 but the slide is different, plus all the custom shop work.

The regular shadow is a gun that was supposedly discontinued by CZ but the custom shop still sells them. It does not have the rail like the SP-01 has and does not have all the work done to it. It has the shadow slide and no firing pin block. It has a diferent hammer and an 85 trigger. Since the custom shop technically doesn't manufacture guns, I can only assume that CZ still makes the shadow but passes them to the custom shop for work so that CZ can then sell them as shadow targets and accu shadows, or whatever other model they use that combination for.

The shadow comes with 16 round magazines and the stock SP-01 comes with the 19 round IIRC. Either one can be had with 10 round mags substituted for icky state laws.

I've been going round and round in my head for the last few weeks on whether I wanted a base Shadow or the SP-01 base. The difference to me is about $200, but one has more weight at the front than the other. Right now I'll probably just get the standard SP-01 and do the work on it myself. If I want the higher end Shadow model then I'll just buy another one like a Tactical Sport.

The regular shadow is a gun that was supposedly discontinued by CZ but the custom shop still sells them. It does not have the rail like the SP-01 has and does not have all the work done to it. It has the shadow slide and no firing pin block. It has a diferent hammer and an 85 trigger. Since the custom shop technically doesn't manufacture guns, I can only assume that CZ still makes the shadow but passes them to the custom shop for work so that CZ can then sell them as shadow targets and accu shadows, or whatever other model they use that combination for.

There are two Shadows, the 75 Shadow (no light rail) and the SP-01 Shadow (light rail). The CZC Shadow Target and Accu Shadow are modified SP-01 Shadows.

There are two Shadows, the 75 Shadow (no light rail) and the SP-01 Shadow (light rail). The CZC Shadow Target and Accu Shadow are modified SP-01 Shadows.

OK thanks. The sites are blocked where I am and could not verify. Perhaps the regular shadow frame is made into the tactical sports?

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is the Shadow designation is no firing pin block, shadow style hammer, and a different roll stamp on the slide. The 75 and SP-01 can both be had in Shadow configuration. Mainly, the attraction is this denotes no FPB, which is one less spring to overcome if you are trying to lighten the trigger as much as possible. While ommission of the FPB from a 75B would put it out of production division, these come this way from the factory - much like the pre-B 75s.

The differences between the SP-01 and 75 are: the SP-01 has the 1913 style accessory rail under the full length front dust cover, while the 75 does not. There are a few other cosmetic differences on the SP-01: back strap checkering, front strap checkering, additional front slide serrations, no tapering of the slide towards the muzzle, full length guide rod, larger diameter barrel, longer beaver tail, and longer slide stop lever,

Most who like a heavier gun go for the SP-01 design for the added weight farther forward to mitigate muzzle flip.

So you can have a 75B (with firing pin block and ring style hammer, but no rail)

The SP-01 (with firing pin block and ring style hammer with rail)

The 75 Shadow (no FPB, shadow hammer, no rail)

The SP-01 Shadow (no FPB, shadow hammer, with rail)

This is why the most typical/sought after combo seems to be the SP-01 Shadow. The lack of FPB makes the trigger as light as possible while the SP-01 design has the added weight over the 75B design.

There may be other subtle differences that someone like kneelingatlas will, without a doubt, know of (*bows in respect*). At least that's how I've always understood the difference.

My understanding is the Shadow designation is no firing pin block, shadow style hammer, and a different roll stamp on the slide. The 75 and SP-01 can both be had in Shadow configuration. Mainly, the attraction is this denotes no FPB, which is one less spring to overcome if you are trying to lighten the trigger as much as possible. While ommission of the FPB from a 75B would put it out of production division, these come this way from the factory - much like the pre-B 75s.

The differences between the SP-01 and 75 are: the SP-01 has the 1913 style accessory rail under the full length front dust cover, while the 75 does not. There are a few other cosmetic differences on the SP-01: back strap checkering, front strap checkering, additional front slide serrations, no tapering of the slide towards the muzzle, full length guide rod, larger diameter barrel, longer beaver tail, and longer slide stop lever,

Most who like a heavier gun go for the SP-01 design for the added weight farther forward to mitigate muzzle flip.

So you can have a 75B (with firing pin block and ring style hammer, but no rail)

This is why the most typical/sought after combo seems to be the SP-01 Shadow. The lack of FPB makes the trigger as light as possible while the SP-01 design has the added weight over the 75B design.

There may be other subtle differences that someone like kneelingatlas will, without a doubt, know of (*bows in respect*). At least that's how I've always understood the difference.

that is a very good explanation.

it's on the models like 'shadow custom, shadow target, etc' that are modified by CZC (or another customer shop). The CZ SP01 Shadow is a standard production gun from CZ UB. they are just harder to find in the states since there is demand for the customised models. So when CZC gets a shadow in stock they have a choice. They can sell it as is and make a few bucks, or they can customise it and make a few more bucks and fill the orders they have for custom stuff.

and yes, of the factory models the SP01 Shadow is generally the most sought after. to confuse things further CZ UB do produce tuned/upgraded models of the SP01 shadow in other markets like the SP01 Shadow 2012, the SP01 Shadow Mate (Canada and Australia versions). They have all the factory tuned parts (comp hammer, stainless guiderod, cerakote frame and slide instead of polycoat, tighter hand fitted slide and barrel, different sights etc) and come in a fancy case with some accessories.

it's on the models like 'shadow custom, shadow target, etc' that are modified by CZC (or another customer shop). The CZ SP01 Shadow is a standard production gun from CZ UB. they are just harder to find in the states since there is demand for the customised models. So when CZC gets a shadow in stock they have a choice. They can sell it as is and make a few bucks, or they can customise it and make a few more bucks and fill the orders they have for custom stuff.

and yes, of the factory models the SP01 Shadow is generally the most sought after. to confuse things further CZ UB do produce tuned/upgraded models of the SP01 shadow in other markets like the SP01 Shadow 2012, the SP01 Shadow Mate (Canada and Australia versions). They have all the factory tuned parts (comp hammer, stainless guiderod, cerakote frame and slide instead of polycoat, tighter hand fitted slide and barrel, different sights etc) and come in a fancy case with some accessories.

Great explanations gentlemen, but I'm still a little confused regarding a particular model of Shadow. The CZC site offers a "CZ 75 Shadow", #91700. This does not have SP01 marked on the slide and the description indicates the serial number is on the frame only and not the slide. How is the CZ 75 Shadow, different from an SP01 Shadow?

Great explanations gentlemen, but I'm still a little confused regarding a particular model of Shadow. The CZC site offers a "CZ 75 Shadow", #91700. This does not have SP01 marked on the slide and the description indicates the serial number is on the frame only and not the slide. How is the CZ 75 Shadow, different from an SP01 Shadow?
Post 14 sums things up nicely

The model you are referring to is not "normal". That is a sp-01 shadow marked as a cz 75 shadow. It's explained in the description on the website.

Being a relative newbie to the whole CZ SP01 Shadow line and after reading Gussers great post, the "CZ 75 Shadow" was definitely "not normal". Would I be correct in assuming there would be nothing wrong taking this gun and building it up to the specs of a CZC SP01 Shadow to shoot in Production?

The model you are referring to is not "normal". That is a sp-01 shadow marked as a cz 75 shadow. It's explained in the description on the website.

Being a relative newbie to the whole CZ SP01 Shadow line and after reading Gussers great post, the "CZ 75 Shadow" was definitely "not normal". Would I be correct in assuming there would be nothing wrong taking this gun and building it up to the specs of a CZC SP01 Shadow to shoot in Production?

You can't really go wrong with any of them. The only difference is the lack of a full dust cover on the 75B or 75 Shadow series. Some may care about this and some may not. I run a standard 75B in production class and I have my trigger down to 2.5lb SA/ 8lb DA courtesy of Cajun Gun Works. It's beautiful and I love it! It really gets down to splitting hairs as they are all the same host and the firting ping block (FPB) adds a minuscule amount of additional trigger weight. If you want the 75 Shadow, get the 75 Shadow. You'll love it.

Thanks for the replies and great info. The "CZ 75 Shadow", #91700, is a long dust cover with rails. The absence of the "SP 01" designation on the slide threw me off. CZC provided a brief explanation on these guns:

CZ 75 SHADOW RAIL 9mm FACTORY GUN

This is a factory shadow with no firing pin blocks.

We have a very few on hand, same specifications as a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow but with a slide marked CZ 75 Shadow.

Frame only is marked with serial number.

(This is a very similar situation the CZ P01's that arrived in the USA marked as CZ 75 Compact D, Same pistol just different nomenclature on slide)

With that info, seems like the only difference between the CZ 75 Shadow and the CZ 75 SP 01 Shadow is the slide markings and the rubber grips. Otherwise it appears to me to be the same gun. Would that be correct?