Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Burned by Hot Brass?

Hotchkiss

I'm curious what others do here to avoid getting burned by hot brass particularly while timing someone else? Certainly a wide-brimmed hat helps to some degree as does buttoning the top of one's shirt, if one is wearing a collared shirt.

Does anyone here wear turtlenecks or neck wraps of some kind (maybe a kerchief?), especially during the winter? When I time others I reflectively put my hand up to guard my throat, but it should be placed to control the shooter so it would be nice to hear what others do/use?

I used to stand a little to the left - more behind the shooter - to avoid the brass tho not so much that I couldn't see the gun. I'd move to the right when the shooter cleared the gun / holstering. Didn't have to do it very much. Just a few threw the brass in a backward direction. Only took me one round to figger it out when it did. ( ^_^)

I used to stand a little to the left - more behind the shooter - to avoid the brass tho not so much that I couldn't see the gun. I'd move to the right when the shooter cleared the gun / holstering. Didn't have to do it very much. Just a few threw the brass in a backward direction. Only took me one round to figger it out when it did. ( ^_^)

That helps too, but different guns eject brass differently and sometimes what you suggest isn't enough.

In fact, you as the RO don't want to be too close to the shooter. If the shooter changes direction or otherwise does something unexpected and the RO makes contact, it is probably grounds for a reshoot from the interference. Besides, no RO really wants to get all that close to my open gun with a Dawson comp and two poppel holes. For the most part, being within a few steps is going to be just fine. :devil:

I didn't say anything about being "too close to the shooter" or "making contact" with the shooter. You know what they say about assumptions... I wonder why some feel compelled to insert extraneous information into threads? To gain attention?

Hot brass can be flung a long way depending on the individual gun. Even firearms of the same make/model can fling brass quite differently. An RSO is expected to "make contact" if there was a safety matter such as an overzealous shooter breaking the 180. Being "a few steps away" (or 10') is hardly optimal in many situations.

I would never be "a few steps away" or "even up to 10'" when starting a shooter -- and it's typically that first or second piece of hot brass that finds the neck opening of my shirt. In some cases a shooter wouldn't even hear the start signal from "a few steps away" let along "even up to 10'" . In other cases it would keep a timer from picking up at least some of the shots.

Sad how threads like this get derailed.

Edited by Hotchkiss

it's a non existent problem as best I can tell. you should always be slightly behind the shooter for a start and most guns eject straight out to the side or even slightly forward with some slightly back. It only takes a second to figure out if the particular guys gun you are RO'ing is going to eject brass into the space you normally occupy and you just move a little.

If you're regular getting burned by other shooters brass something aint right!

I'm fairly sure Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch recommends always wearing a wide brimmed hat/cap and buttoning the top of one's shirt to guard against being burned by hot brass. Only problem is in my case that is that my collar won't always button due to the size of my neck and sometimes I don't wear a collared shirt. I posted here to see if someone had another solution that worked for them?

It's interesting how Mr. Smith felt the need to pass on some advice rather than suggest getting burned by hot brass (one's own or another shooter's) is a "non existent problem." Talk about pure bunkum.

The comment "It only takes a second to figure out if the particular guys gun you are RO'ing is going to eject brass into the space you normally occupy" is ridiculous. My response is that it only takes one piece of brass to get burned and it might well be the first...

Edited by Hotchkiss

You'd be amazed how far a timer will pick up shots. There are times a shooter needs to go down a corridor or branch of the shooting area, shoot some stuff, and come back out. If you're following them in there, you better make sure you are able to get your butt back uprange so they don't run into you or even outrun you.

http://youtu.be/DLKHAX1JZrY?list=UULwj2bUm7BLsxE8OCkGwnTQ

Edited by robb315

You'd be amazed how far a timer will pick up shots. There are times a shooter needs to go down a corridor or branch of the shooting area, shoot some stuff, and come back out. If you're following them in there, you better make sure you are able to get your butt back uprange so they don't run into you or even outrun you.

http://youtu.be/DLKHAX1JZrY?list=UULwj2bUm7BLsxE8OCkGwnTQ

No, actually I wouldn't. Once or twice per match (sometimes far more) the timer (even with the sensitivity turned up) doesn't pick-up the shots or at least some shots. Happens most often with longer barreled rimfire rifles using Competition Electronics Pocket Pro timers. This is far less common with CED 7000 timers and in fact it's common for someone within the squad to pull out such a timer to use in place of the CEPP.

IF, your as experienced as you say you are, and still haven't figured out which side of a gun the hot brass comes out of, or where it's going . . . . . . . . .

Do you honestly have any idea what you're talking about?

Most (not all but most) semi-automatic pistols/rifles that I am aware of eject spent brass to the right or top/right. Are you actually suggesting you always time those shooting semi-autos from the left because you have "figured out which side of a gun the hot brass comes out of"?

No, actually I wouldn't. Once or twice per match (sometimes far more) the timer (even with the sensitivity turned up) doesn't pick-up the shots or at least some shots. Happens most often with longer barreled rimfire rifles using Competition Electronics Pocket Pro timers. This is far less common with CED 7000 timers and in fact it's common for someone within the squad to pull out such a timer to use in place of the CEPP.

Well why didn't you say it was rimfire. Those can be very problematic registering on a timer. Even if you are standing right next to the shooter. I guess I need to ask, what kind of matches are you shooting using rimfires?

Control the shooter? I was cautioned when I first started to RO to not try to control the shooter, except with verbal commands, because if you aggressively grab most A type people they may react badly. I will put my hand out when I see a gun swinging around so they will run into it and that seems to work well. Most people don't mind running against an obstacle (like the RO). Staying behind and to one side of the shooter with the clock held high and in front of me seems to pick up the shots. The other RO with the I-pad watches the other side. Haven't been burned by brass yet, but I don't show much cleavage.

Maybe you and the shooter should both wear these....just to be on the safe side.

Those are just ridiculous.

They don't have enough ventilation..... better use a beekeeper's suit like I wear. If it can stop a bee it can stop a brass.

Those suits were obviously made for shooting...but they may not have enough ventilation. ..I will get in touch with the manufacturer and point this out.

Do you think they could add a rule that would state which angle the brass can come out? That would make it easier for you. Maybe even a rule about max temp of expended brass?

Of course, just getting out of the way is probably the simple approach.

Edited by forddriver

Control the shooter?

I distinctly taking the RO class with Amidon and he specifically telling us NEVER to try to physically control the shooter, the chances of an AD skyrocket.

But hey, what does he know. You seem to have way more experience in RO'ing...

Some great recommendations here. OP, let us know what you end up with - I've added a fencing mask to my range bag. My first wife divorced me due to the disfigurement I've suffered as a result of hot brass to the face, but I never thought about taking control of the issue until this thread.

Control the shooter?

I distinctly taking the RO class with Amidon and he specifically telling us NEVER to try to physically control the shooter, the chances of an AD skyrocket.

But hey, what does he know. You seem to have way more experience in RO'ing...

Malarkey.

If a shooter is doing something dangerous -- say breaking the 180 rule, it's the role of an RSO to stop the shooter. That might well include (for example) a hand on the shooter's back to stop their rotation along with the appropriate verbal commands

If an RSO training class failed to cover this then yes, I would suggest it was defective.

Edited by Hotchkiss