Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm cases resizing out of spec when reloading on XL650

OP I had the same issues with just a small percentage of cases not going through a case gauge. The problem was the case not being sized down far enough. Changed to an EGW under size sizing die and those problems disappeared. The Dillon die won't size the case down quite far enough.

It's Glock brass, plane and simple. Brass that has been fired in a Glock will occasionally develop a bulge at the bottom. I get about 10 of those per 1000 loaded rounds. I had one just this Saturday. .. fortunately it was the first round in the magazine and would not chamber so I was able to clear it BEFORE the beep. And I've had all my brass professionally deprimed, resized, and steel-pin tumbled, which has REALLY reduced the number. Often I would get 5 to 10 per 100 reloads. Made for some slow chamber checking sessions!

It's Glock brass, plane and simple. Brass that has been fired in a Glock will occasionally develop a bulge at the bottom. I get about 10 of those per 1000 loaded rounds. I had one just this Saturday. .. fortunately it was the first round in the magazine and would not chamber so I was able to clear it BEFORE the beep. And I've had all my brass professionally deprimed, resized, and steel-pin tumbled, which has REALLY reduced the number. Often I would get 5 to 10 per 100 reloads. Made for some slow chamber checking sessions!

Are you talking about 9mm? I personally don't believe "Glock bulge" pertains to 9mm.

How exactly does "brass professionally deprimed, resized, and steel-pin tumbled" reduce brass that is bulged?

And that went through the process, then again through my resizing and depriving die, and through the chamber check gauge, but not into battery!

"through the chamber check gauge, not not into battery" ... this is most curious, as chamber gauges are built to tighter tolerances than the gun's chamber. 90% of rounds that do NOT go into my chamber gauge still work in my gun (I use "failed" chamber gauge rounds in practice, not in a match).

-ivan-

Edited by ivan

Another thing to keep in mind is that you are using mixed brass.

Manufacturers of brass cases use slightly different procedures / materials causing the walls of the case to be thinner / thicker, so after sizing them they may be fine, but once you seat a bullet, the extra material will give you a larger outer diameter, causing cases not to fully go inside a chamber checker.

Dillon chamber checkers are made to the MAX of SAAMI specs, so it will usually fit loosely, where as Sheridan or EGW gages are made to the MIN of SAAMI specs and fit tight.

My recommendation, use an EGW U-Die (made by Lee specifically for EGW) and that should take care of the issue.

Also, make sure that your die is all the way down to the plate and than turn 1/8th back up.

And that went through the process, then again through my resizing and depriving die, and through the chamber check gauge, but not into battery!

What gauge and what gun? Very unusual to gauge ok but not work in your barrel.

Where did you get that piece of brass? Sometimes it is a good idea to cull some of your range pickup, looks like this case may have been eligible. Who knows what some range brass has been through, someone could have shoot 200 PF with it or it could have been fired out of battery or whatever other potential issue.

Dillon chamber checkers are made to the MAX of SAAMI specs, so it will usually fit loosely, where as Sheridan or EGW gages are made to the MIN of SAAMI specs and fit tight.

While I agree with the rest of your post, I believe your wrong about the "chamber checkers" unless you do not mean case gauges by that. If you follow the ling below you will see that:

Dillon handgun case gages allow you to check your handgun ammunition to ensure it will fit a minimum sized chamber.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages

Try seating the bullet much deeper.The shoulder of the bullet should only be about .010"- .020" above the case mouth. This might well be the cause, if the shoulder of the bullet contacts the forcing cone.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! That bullet appears to be seated too far out.

The rest of your problems are probably unsupported chamber bulge not getting hit with the sizing die. Roll size or a Lee die will help. The Dillon die has a large funnel that doesn't size all the way to the web. Some use a lee fcd to battle this problem, I roll size and use a Lee U die...99.99% pass the gauge.

jmho

jj

THIS ^^^^^^ and your problems will be solved.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I purchased an EDW U-Die after the initial discussion here. While waiting for it to be delivered, I pulled all the bullets from my prior session. I did a little more research, and found a recipe for the Hornady 124gr XTP with a shorter OAL. I readjusted my dies and powder measure for the new recipe. I then installed the EDW U-die in station1. I just made 20 test rounds, and they all passed the case gauge!! I will be off to the range next weekend to test them, and make adjustments if needed.

Thanks to ALL for their input!!

post-56223-0-26329400-1416779498_thumb.j

You definitely have a problem. It is not associated with Glock or your gauge. If it passed the gauge it would go into the gun. Since I have loaded over 100,000 9 mm cases shot through 5 different Glocks, I have never seen such a case. Many of my cases have been reloaded over 25 times. You are definitely doing something wrong and it could hurt you unless you get some help and fix it.

When you find that loaded ammo is not fitting in a gauge you need to find out where the problem is; sizing, expanding, seating or crimping. size a few cases and try them in a gauge. I think that you will find that you were sizing enough with the old die. Now expand and seat bullet and take the bell out of the case but don't crimp and make sure the bullets are seated so that they will chamber, this might be too long for your gauge but ok for your barrel. Provided this is all ok, now crimp, or should I say remove the bell on the mouth. Too much bell or too much crimp can cause a bulge in the case. Those hornady HTP bullets have a bearing surface that's far forward and you have to seat them deep for them to fit in a gauge. A lee factory crimp die also helps at the end, especially if you are using lead bullets as it kind of sizes/ crimps the whole case and bullet at the same time.