Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Bullet for Tac Sport

Smitty79

I am looking for a 40 cal 180 gn, coated bullet for my Tac Sport. In the past, I've ordered 10 different bullets to find the best. Limited isn't my focus right now so I just want something that will run well in my gun. Experimenting will come later. I've generally had good luck with Blue Bullets and Bayou Bullets and all other things being equal, I will just call Donnie.

I would just stay with Donnie, bullets. There is little difference past the profile you select. Ive been running a mix of Bayou Bullets and Gary's GAT (just lead) through mine for a couple of years now.

I put 4.6 of WST and it comes out to 167.?? every time. Purrs like a kitten. I do use the shock buffers in mine though, never had a problem with as some people have. They def help if your gun will run with em'

I'm running 180 grn Blue Bullets at 1.130 with 4.45 grn of titegroup in my TS. Making about 174 PF. Shoots great. Soft, almost no smoke. Best thing about Blue Bullets is you can get 5% off for just being a forum member and 10% off if you get their jersey for the contingency program. Jersey pays for its self after you order 10 boxes.

Are there bullets that *don't* work in a tacsport? I just ran the same OAL that I used in my 40 production gun (and in my m&p), and whatever bullets I have laying around. My tacsport only has 1500-2000 rounds through it, but it hasn't really cared whether I use xtreme 180fp, or zero 165jhps, or a bunch of MG freebies I got in various weights and configurations. I don't think the gun is that sensitive.

I have problems with some bullets in my 9mm CZ. It has a short chamber and there are some head stamps that, when I seat the bullet deep enough to keep the bullet from engaging the rifling on feeding, the bullet is hitting the area where the case wall is thickening and the rounds won't pass case gauge.

Tony,

I've used Manson, and they're good. However, I recommend you buy the finish reamer. The throating reamer only moves the leade forward.

However, this still doesn't fix any high spots or taper in the chamber which can still affect proper bullet chambering. The finish reamer cleans/trues the chamber-up, removes the taper, and moves the leade slightly forward. After doing this, you don't have to worry about OAL anymore. You can pretty much use any bullets you want.

The finish reamer costs around $70.00 IIRC, and you'll need a decent tap wrench and cutting oil. If you're not comfortable with this, better just send your barrel to a competent smith.

Good luck.