Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on 220 gr bullets for the 40 S&W, in the 1911

GBertolet

Has anyone tried this weight bullet in their 40? The recoil impulse should be pretty soft. 750 fps will make major PF. My slide has been lightened somewhat, which should offset some of the cycling sluggishness. SAECO and some of the semi custom mold makers have this weight available. I have a 1911 barrel (Nowlin), that is throated a good bit, so the extra length won't be a problem. This is a fairly long bullet, so accuracy and stability in the standard 40 cal barrel twists comes to question. Are there any success or failure stories on this bullet use? Not much is ever said about this weight bullet.

Edited by GBertolet

Hello: I tried some in my 6" 2011 and did not like them at all. They do feel very soft but it took a while for the front sight to come back into the notch for me. Another problem I had was the timer would not always pickup all the shots since the load was very quiet. I am shooting 165 grain bullets and really like how they feel since they react quickly like an open gun. Thanks, Eric

I tested some but was too scared to load them with Clays so I used what I had on hand at the time (700X, Longshot and HS-6); the 700X was way over pressurized so it was downright nasty and the other two gave a pretty stout impulse. Now that I have some 10mm mags for my Tanfo I might try again loading over 1.2" with Clays, TG and Bullseye.

I've been looking at the Xtreme plated 220gr. If you feel the cycling is sluggish try a lighter recoil spring but note that might result in FTF issues - or not. Depends on how light you go.

Speaking of heavy for caliber, I've been trying out 165gr 9mm Xtreme's. Stupid soft and I do notice a difference in cycle speed but I'm not waiting. I would expect the same for 220gr 40 cal but I'd be ready with a 12lb or 13lb spring.

Yes, it would if you don't have short stroking issues. Even though the PF might be at a Major level, with the heavy bullets you will have much less recoil energy and that is why it cycles slower.

Lots of factors in play. The same spring may or may not work to your liking so be ready to experiment.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I tested some but was too scared to load them with Clays so I used what I had on hand at the time (700X, Longshot and HS-6); the 700X was way over pressurized so it was downright nasty and the other two gave a pretty stout impulse. Now that I have some 10mm mags for my Tanfo I might try again loading over 1.2" with Clays, TG and Bullseye.

Kneeling has 10mm mags for his tanfo? Bet they have a rib down the side and k10 stamped on them :). Kidding aside I will be loading some 200gr coated to major with N310 in the very near future.