Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor in STI edge

Mike41

Shooting 180 gr JHP zero bullets with 4.0gr of VV 320 n.

Getting some jams (fail to eject, some stove pipe).

I have the brown colored recoil spring which I guess is the heavy factory spring , maybe 14 lbs .

Can anyone confirm that the brown colored spring is 14 lb?

Would changing to a lighter spring help? How much lighter, 13 or 12 lb?

How do you change the spring?

Thanks,

Mike

Run a 10lb spring on a guide rod. Make sure the load will lock back the gun, then add .02 grains more for reliability. If it locks back at 3.8, then keep the 4.0 load. That is some soft shooting.....

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

Shooting 180 gr JHP zero bullets with 4.0gr of VV 320 n.

Getting some jams (fail to eject, some stove pipe).

I have the brown colored recoil spring which I guess is the heavy factory spring , maybe 14 lbs .

Can anyone confirm that the brown colored spring is 14 lb?

Would changing to a lighter spring help? How much lighter, 13 or 12 lb?

How do you change the spring?

Thanks,

Mike

What OAL are you loading too? Is it s new to you gun? Does it do it with full power loads?

JMike,

OAL - 1.19. I only shot about 50~100 rds at 4.8gr of 320n when it was new. It had a few jams but I was reloading some bulged glock brass that may have been the cause. Switched to new Starline brass and reduced the powder amount. Recoil is much better and very controlable for me, like a .22.

I have a single jam on about every other stage (1 per 30rds or so).

Gentlemen, is there anyway to get the recoilmaster system to work with .40 minor loads? Or will changing springs be a waste due to the potential of the system breaking later?

If I change to a guide rod, which one to get? I have heard tungston, then steel, one with a screw in it?

Is there a particular model to get that is tried and proven out in competition? Do you get one from Brownell's, Springfield, or a certain one from Dawson?

Thanks for everyone's help. Just need a few more details before spending any money so I know which way to go.

Mike

All I know is that most people unass the recoil master guide rods when they get an STI for competition. Anyone of the builders can supply you with one whether it be Dawson, Brazos, Akai, FGW, Cheely, etc. Shooters Connection would also be a good source. You need to easily be able to change out your recoil spring with common replacements in order to customize the action for whatever load you might be developing. Plus Wolf springs are pretty cheap and plentiful versus anything for a recoil master.

You want to shoot a soft round that's reliable with a tool-less guide rod and a 12 lb spring? Try 3.7-3.8 grains of N320 under a 200 grain Bayou. My STI loved that load, it cycled perfectly and man was it soft.

How do you know if you needed a shok buff or not? Does each spring weight have a majic power factor that once you go above you need a shok buff?

How many of you that use a 10lb spring also use shok buff? What PF are you shooting ?

Thanks,

Mike

Shooting over major loads with a light recoil spring can lead to premature wear, but with the minor loads, you should be fine. Shok buffs are not a universally accepted item. They change the length of the recoil/slide cycle and can negatively affect function. That said, I run a 6" .40 and use a 12lb recoil spring on a tungsten guiderod for major and minor. I also run a thin aluminum shok buff over a polymer one to change recoil feel, shorten the recoil cycle and cushion the frame a little.

ETA - minor ammo around 130-135PF; major at 165-170PF...

Edited by wgj3

major at 165-170 PF. Careful there unless u don't mind shooting open. I recommend adding 2 to 2.5 times your std to the required PF velocity. This puts u at about 170 to 175 PF and very little chance of going minor.

shok buffs: you mileage may vary. Some guns will run them ad infinitum. Some guns will chew through them in 100 rounds.

Keep an eye on them if your gun hasn't used them before.

-ivan-