Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited v Limited Pro

Iggy42

Ok someone help me out here.

I keep eyeballing Tanfoglios for USPSA Limited and 3 Gun, which isn't a bad thing outside of the fact that I do not reload as of yet.

However what I cannot figure out is if a Lim Pro that looks like it was converted to SA only (the Tanfoglio that Rich at Canyon Creek has) or a standard Limited is a better way to go. Since I run a flat blade in my AR for 3gun (Hiperfire 24c) I am very interested in a flat trigger for my pistol as well for a similar feel.

Price wise a standard Limited looks like a better way to go, even after giving it a work over with replacement parts from Henning.

Just trying to figure out what is best for me in the end

Stock for stock, the Limited is about $300 more, before any aftermarket work. It will also likely be the better choice for USPSA Limited division at the end of the day due to the heavier overall weight of the cone barrel and longer dust cover, and you'd want to be shooting .40 major obviously.

For 3gun, I don't know.

One question: heavy or light?

If you want a heavy gun to soak up as much recoil as possible, go with the Limited, if you like a lighter (not exactly Glock light) gun, save some money and go with the Limited Pro. The SAO conversion is too easy to justify sending it off to a smith, if you need help, just ask :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Since I am still in this dilemma, what are the magwell choices for a Limited Pro? If I understand right my only choice is the weld on from Canyon Creek. That said I am still really confused as to what models have what frames and what is compatible with what.

I love the aesthics of a long dust cover, but I am leaning toward the lim pro since it will be a dual purpose gun

I thoroughly enjoy my Limited. I had a stock 1 previously and it was like the limited pro as it didn't have the full dust cover and I sold it because I like the heavier pistol such as the Stock 2. Just my opinion but the full dust cover guns seem to have easier recoil management

I thoroughly enjoy my Limited. I had a stock 1 previously and it was like the limited pro as it didn't have the full dust cover and I sold it because I like the heavier pistol such as the Stock 2. Just my opinion but the full dust cover guns seem to have easier recoil management

I am running a XDm with a Tungsten guide rod and Stainless Magwell in USPSA Limited and 3 gun currently. While is does a pretty good job of soaking up recoil any of the all metals I assume will be a noticeable difference to me, long or short. Visually the LDC looks better to me, but for some reason the pre-drilled holes just bother me. I understand why they are there, I just wish I could get a LDC without mount holes.

I am running a XDm with a Tungsten guide rod and Stainless Magwell in USPSA Limited and 3 gun currently. While is does a pretty good job of soaking up recoil any of the all metals I assume will be a noticeable difference to me, long or short. Visually the LDC looks better to me, but for some reason the pre-drilled holes just bother me. I understand why they are there, I just wish I could get a LDC without mount holes.

IMHO going from an XD to a Tanfoglio would be a huge difference.

I've owned and shot XD's, and the muzzle flip on those is pretty significant. Plus with the large heavy slide and light frame you get a lot of sight disruption when the gun cycles. Tanfoglio and CZ (1/2 slide pistols) are some of the flattest running pistols made.

Also you could pick up a Stock II, which is basically a 1/4" shorter version of the Limited, but with a DA trigger. Since you are switching triggers anyway, that would be a good option for you.

As for LimPro vs Limited vs Stock II; they all handle very similarly. I don't feel much difference shooting a short DC gun vs a long DC gun. I notice my long DC 6" .45 does transition a lot slower, but it also runs flat as hell when lighting up an MGM spinner.

for what you want to do I think the limited is the way to go.

it comes with a magwell out of the box (sure not as nice as the henning one, but still quite usable)

it's SA out of the box too (time or money saved vs the lim pro)

it has the long dust cover which you seem to like

in 40cal or 9mm it will be a good choice. if you do plan to shoot USPSA limited as well as 3gun then the 40 is probably a better choice so that you can shoot major PF if you want to.

maybe see if you can find someone local with a lim pro or a lim (or both!) you can have a shot of.

for what you want to do I think the limited is the way to go.

it comes with a magwell out of the box (sure not as nice as the henning one, but still quite usable)

it's SA out of the box too (time or money saved vs the lim pro)

it has the long dust cover which you seem to like

in 40cal or 9mm it will be a good choice. if you do plan to shoot USPSA limited as well as 3gun then the 40 is probably a better choice so that you can shoot major PF if you want to.

maybe see if you can find someone local with a lim pro or a lim (or both!) you can have a shot of.

Yeah my plan is .40 major for USPSA and .40 minor for 3 gun

While there are a couple CZs that pop up at the local matches, Tans are non-exsistant. I think I have seen one.........ever. All STIs, Glocks and M&Ps around here, although CZ is gaining. My first USPSA Limited gun was a Tanfoglio Limited, and I did like the way it shot. Never shot a match with it as I ran into some financial issues and could never get kitted out so I sold it off and went down the Tupperware road. It's why I am looking at them again, and trying to correct my ignorance from the first time around. Especially on things like converting DA/SA to SAO, what all needs to be done for a trigger job. You know all the standard stuff come along with the Italian Unicorns

well it sounds like the 40cal limited will be the best option.

for the games you want to play bits like the magwell, bigger safeties and the fact it comes SA out of the box are a bonus.

with the lim pro you could leave it DA/SA and just start cocked and locked (SA) or even shoot it in production in USPSA. in which case you could get a 9mm and enjoy a few extra rounds in 3gun... the downside is - short dustcover (some like it though), smaller safeties, no magwell (and if shooting production you can't fit one either).

If budget is tight and limited is where you want to play then the limited makes more sense. both make a good 3gun pistol I think.

it just depends:

40 major in limited and soft 40 loads for 3 gun - free magwell, SAO trigger, nice big safeties, long dustcover (potential to mount a thumb rest or an optic later with the pre-drilled holes)

9minor in production and shoot it in 9mm SA in 3gun - cheaper gun price but no magwell, smaller safeties, shorter dustcover and no holes.

either choice seems like a good one. toss a coin?

oh and to throw a spanner in the works a CZ Tactical Sports in either 9mm (will be minor only in limited though) or 40 cal makes a good multi purpose USPSA limited/3gun pistol.

they are really nice shooting guns and the SA trigger on them is very nice right out of the box....

oh and to throw a spanner in the works a CZ Tactical Sports in either 9mm (will be minor only in limited though) or 40 cal makes a good multi purpose USPSA limited/3gun pistol.

they are really nice shooting guns and the SA trigger on them is very nice right out of the box....

Yeah I have looked at them, and CZ Customs can do some amazing things with them. Unfortunately all the holsters need to be modified since there are no TS holsters. In the end not a huge deal, but something about taking a dremel to my DAA Racemaster to get it to fit gives me the willy's. Plus I am a huge stainless fan, so Tanfoglios just plain look better to me.

Its part as to why I was looking at a Limited Pro, since in the end its very close to a CZC TS minus the grip reduction. It is still on the table to a point, but I find that I keep coming back to Tanfos.

Yeah I have looked at them, and CZ Customs can do some amazing things with them. Unfortunately all the holsters need to be modified since there are no TS holsters. In the end not a huge deal, but something about taking a dremel to my DAA Racemaster to get it to fit gives me the willy's. Plus I am a huge stainless fan, so Tanfoglios just plain look better to me.

Its part as to why I was looking at a Limited Pro, since in the end its very close to a CZC TS minus the grip reduction. It is still on the table to a point, but I find that I keep coming back to Tanfos.

It's hard to best a tango in the looks dept. Not to mention they're cheaper and more versatile, 38 super, 45, 10mm.

There are a few ts holsters. I just got a blade tech speed rig for my ts from midway for $21.

I'd argue the limited is close to a TS than a lim pro as both the lim and the TS are SAO and long dustcover and made for limited/standard division. the lim pro is DA/SA and short DC. unless you mean the CZC built CTS which are short dustcover and reduced grip etc.

oh, and yeah I agree the tanfoglio's are nice looking pistols. in many ways my CZ shadow's shoot better than my tanfoglio stock II but it just looks so good and feels so nice in the hand. my open gold custom on the other hand... :)

you will be most likely happy with either. and I have to say of the CZ's the TS is one of the best looking.

oh, and yeah I agree the tanfoglio's are nice looking pistols. in many ways my CZ shadow's shoot better than my tanfoglio stock II.

What makes your cz's shoot better than the stock 2? Edited by Prov1x

Mainly the trigger. Don't get me wrong I love both and it's very subjective and a very close race between them. I think the trigger setup on the cz (no fpb, different trigger bar spring setup, long strut and hammer spring) makes it a nicer feeling gun to shoot. But then the stock 2 feels nicer etc. this is why I own and shoot both. :)

Mainly the trigger. Don't get me wrong I love both and it's very subjective and a very close race between them. I think the trigger setup on the cz (no fpb, different trigger bar spring setup, long strut and hammer spring) makes it a nicer feeling gun to shoot. But then the stock 2 feels nicer etc. this is why I own and shoot both. :)

I've had 2 shadows and have sold both of them. The trigger in double action mode extends too far forward for me. Even after trying the new style trigger it was still a bit too far out front.

The cz trigger is definitely more crisp but my tanfo triggers are not bad at all. They aren't as crisp as the cz but they are pretty nice. That and the overall feel of the gun, while shooting as well, gives the tanfo an edge to me.

I like my stock 3 just a bit better than my stock 2 but can switch back and forth without missing a beat.