Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is Grauffel so good?

boudreux

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, all divisions are on the same page. You need to scroll down to Production section.

Ok, got you, appreciate your hard work on that! Kind of interesting to see folks like Dave S. Doing that much better with a second bite at the Apple

I agree with Atilla. I understand the trend and dont need that explained. I'd like clarification on Leatham's "needs to be addressed" comment? What exactly does that mean? That only striker fired guns should be allowed in Production, like an XDm for example?

I agree with Atilla. I understand the trend and dont need that explained. I'd like clarification on Leatham's "needs to be addressed" comment? What exactly does that mean? That only striker fired guns should be allowed in Production, like an XDm for example?

No, that's not what I mean. Why, do you think that? Or do you think that's what I mean?

Not speaking for anyone else, but IMHO, what "needs to be addressed" is IPSC's 5 lb. trigger pull rule. It is the prime reason why DA/SA guns have the advantage. A Tanfo or CZ only needs to have a 5 lb. pull for the first shot. The rest of them can be 2 lb. Single-Action shots.

A striker-fired gun, like a Glock, XDm, or HK would have to have a 5 lb. pull for every shot, since the trigger pull is the same for shot #1 thru shot #15.

This rule pretty much says "Get a great trigger job done to your Tanfo or CZ, but plastic guns must run factory stuff".

No, that's not what I mean. Why, do you think that? Or do you think that's what I mean?

I have no idea what you meant by your comment? That's why I was wanting clarity. Is USPSA addressing DA/SA guns in Production? Or is their a faction of shooters in USPSA that feel it needs to be addressed? The comment of "needs to be addressed" regarding DA/SA makes me think that might be the case. USPSA isn't going to listen to me, but they will listen to someone of your stature and accomplishments within the sport. I shoot a DA/SA gun in Production, so some clarity on the comment would be appreciated.

In case anyone interested, here are match results on PractiScore:

IPSC World Shoot XVII 2014 (Unofficial, recalculated in PractiScore)

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=fb758bb0-3daf-4742-938c-8bbf2ab58fd1

2014 US IPSC Nationals

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=66450e61-23a2-4206-bf5a-dfbcda04ef38

Combined IPSC World Shoot XVII 2014 + US IPSC Nationals 2014

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=a97bef10-27f3-4f87-be6e-b2d4c5e263bc

The last one combines stage results from both matches and overall results are recalculated based on the best stage HFs from two matches. Competitors marked with "*" have shot US IPSC Nationals match.

Thanks for pulling that together. That shows some interesting data points. Most of the guys that shot the Nationals portion did better on their second go around. I wonder how much of this performance improvement is attributed to simply getting a second chance to shoot the stages again and deploying different tactics or just being more comfortable with what to expect for the stages, or if the pressure of performing was a lesser magnitude so they performed better in a more relaxed mental or physical state?

I don't think its a realistic comparison to validate imaginary "Wins" for shooters performances on their second go around. I am sure that many other shooters would be able to perform better if they got a chance to reshoot the match under conditions that were a lot less pressure.

In case anyone interested, here are match results on PractiScore:

IPSC World Shoot XVII 2014 (Unofficial, recalculated in PractiScore)

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=fb758bb0-3daf-4742-938c-8bbf2ab58fd1

2014 US IPSC Nationals

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=66450e61-23a2-4206-bf5a-dfbcda04ef38

Combined IPSC World Shoot XVII 2014 + US IPSC Nationals 2014

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=a97bef10-27f3-4f87-be6e-b2d4c5e263bc

The last one combines stage results from both matches and overall results are recalculated based on the best stage HFs from two matches. Competitors marked with "*" have shot US IPSC Nationals match.

Thanks for pulling that together. That shows some interesting data points. Most of the guys that shot the Nationals portion did better on their second go around. I wonder how much of this performance improvement is attributed to simply getting a second chance to shoot the stages again and deploying different tactics or just being more comfortable with what to expect for the stages, or if the pressure of performing was a lesser magnitude so they performed better in a more relaxed mental or physical state?

I don't think its a realistic comparison to validate imaginary "Wins" for shooters performances on their second go around. I am sure that many other shooters would be able to perform better if they got a chance to reshoot the match under conditions that were a lot less pressure.

I agree. It's certainly not valid to give much credence to a "win" on a second go-around, such as KC beating Max on his second go-around or Dave beating Nils.

However, I remain impressed that Eric beat Max by such a wide margin. Sure, it was his second attempt at the stages, but he did it with an Open gun which is a different beast than a Production gun, with a different sighting system, different stage plans, etc. There is little doubt in my mind that Eric could have, and would have beaten Max in Open if he shot the WS with an Open gun, not that it takes away from Max's accomplishment in any way.

It's weird how outcast TDA guns used to be in production.

Now because good shooters are using them, they are stirring up all kinds of feels.

Not really. Have you compared one of the "outcast" Sig / Beretta / S&W / etc DA triggers to a CZ or Tanfo? The DA triggers in the CZ / Tanfo are much better, and frankly aren't that much harder to shoot than a tuned Production-legal striker trigger. I would rather shoot my CZ DA trigger for every shot than a stock Glock trigger.

Then when you compare the CZ / Tanfo SA triggers to the SA triggers in the Sig / Beretta / S&W it gets even more "unfair."

In other words, the DA/SA guns used today are much, much better than those that were shunned.