Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is Grauffel so good?

boudreux

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They shot different guns so it's not an apples to apples comparison. Nils shot a 2011 with a bad ass trigger. Eric shot a stock 2 with a better than Glock but still shitty DA/SA trigger. Not a good comparison

that's the whole point. Despite the inherent disadvantages in scoring and capacity, EG still would win.

Plus 9mm minor is way more accurate than 40 major

What? Is that how it is on your planet? Here on earth, not so much.

So is there a way to figure out if Eric beat Nils in combined results? That would be incredible.

by the above stats...

Eric's match HF is 6.035

Nils match HF is 5.861

Which doesn't mean Eric beat Nils, but it could be a clue. Anyone done the stage by stage comparison yet?

Your math is off for Nils because you calculated his non-A hits using Minor Scoring. Nils total match HF is 5.932. This narrows the gap a little bit, but Eric still beat Nils by 1.69%. That is pretty impressive given that Eric was shooting Minor and slightly reduced magazine capacity verses Standard (15 rounds vs 19 rounds). I am not sure how many stage performances would have really negatively impacted Eric's stage time due to needing an extra reload or not. Measuring the impact of that can be tricky because most field courses have enough non shooting movement to do a reload while moving and it not impact the stage time.

Edited by CHA-LEE

They shot different guns so it's not an apples to apples comparison. Nils shot a 2011 with a bad ass trigger. Eric shot a stock 2 with a better than Glock but still shitty DA/SA trigger. Not a good comparison

that's the whole point. Despite the inherent disadvantages in scoring and capacity, EG still would win.

Plus 9mm minor is way more accurate than 40 major

What? Is that how it is on your planet? Here on earth, not so much.

Trouble with sarcasm, eh?

Trouble with sarcasm, eh?

lol. musta skipped my afternoon coffee. :cheers:

There are so many outrageous things posted here seriously that it's not always easy to tell which outrageous things are sarcastic.

Edited by motosapiens

The fact that he would have beaten Nils, with less rounds and minor scoring is just unbelievable.

Really goes to show you that he IS the best.

He has proven it in Open.

He has proven it in Production.

And he has proven it in Standard without ever actually shooting the division.

And because I was curious, here are the results of Eric and Max being the only people at the match

Eric- 2170.650359

89.409%

Max- 2427.757

And Eric and Rob being the only ones at the match

Eric- 2490.41

Rob- 2132.56

85.6311%

edit: yea not 10 rounds in IPSC production :P

Edited by amish_rabbi

And because I was curious, here are the results of Eric and Max being the only people at the match

Eric- 2170.650359

89.409%

Max- 2427.757

And Eric and Rob being the only ones at the match (they both had 10 shots and minor, so this isn't a terrible comparison)

Eric- 2490.41

Rob- 2132.56

85.6311%

Eric had 15

Not to drag everyone away from all the above number crunching but the 'natural talent' excuse has always bugged me WRT competitive activities. When was the last time you heard a national/ world champion use 'I just have more natural ability" to explain their success? Sure, you could argue that they are ALL just being polite but I don't buy it becuase theyvusually go out of their way in most cases to talk about all the years of hard work and the talent which they developed, not were born with.

Saying that you or me could shoot 250,000 rds/yr until we're blue in the face and not be world champions is not an appropriate comparison becuase we didn't start at the same time, with the same resources as those Champions we are talking about. The only way to "prove" the "natural talent" argument would be to take a bunch of people and provide them with the same access and resources at the same age and see what happens. Even in this case you couldn't eliminate all the variables since an individual's emotional makeup, drive, will and determination would also factor in.

Now that I think about it I might be willing to consceed that THOSE things constitute natural ability but not the physical skills you can be trained to perform ...

Edited by Nimitz

I went through college athletics as did my brother. We both saw even at that level individuals who worked every last bit as hard as anyone but who simply were not as good as the first stringers. Guys who were the first in, last out. Ate right, didn't party, were stone cold devoted to being a starter. No matter what training they did they never made it.

Saying natural talent doesn't play into it at all is an insult to lots and lots of men and women who poured themselves into the effort but in the end didn't measure up. (Gee, if only you had just tried harder) Conversely, natural talent without an incredible amount of work will get you to a certain level but never to the top.

Edited by Neomet

maybe people have a natural ability to learn faster and analyze what they are doing better than most. They shoot 50-250k a year and it works for them. The people who lack this natural ability to learn…they can shoot 50-250k a year and not learn much. Some people just practice wrong. I have no clue I have only been shooting for 15 months

Edited by TrukSnave

The natural ability thing is real. Everyone has some, some just have more. It's what is done with it and how it is developed that matters. I have trained many, many shooters and not all have the same basic tools, plus not everyone is wired the same. A really top level shooter, as in champion at the top of any discipline has incredible physical co-ordination, and not just hand eye. They know where their feet are, and what their weight distribution is at all times and have excellent balance. They are physically strong, and I do not mean fit. Few are exceptionally light or small. There are some who are exceptions to some of these observations, but not all of them. All have a drive to train and excel while training. All are driven to excel under pressure and hate failing. All see the sacrifices they make to reach the top levels as acceptable, when many others would not. Those that stay relevant for extended periods of time truly love the equipment, practicing and the environment at the matches and feel very comfortable around others like them. They almost all do what they do out of an insatiable desire to perfect and perform the skills they need.

Speculation of what it takes to get to this level seldom centers around the core elements. It is natural ability, but that is a starting point. Natural ability undeveloped will not create a champion. Interestingly, I see natural ability frequently, it is not uncommon. Having the "heart and commitment" is most rare.

By the way, another curious observation; when an exceptional shooter performs at an exceptional level, it isn't special to them. They have of course experienced the feeling many times before and are expecting greatness to happen, not surprised by it....

This comes from one of the most talented shooters our planet has ever known. I'm very thankful he shares what he knows with those who defend our County and our way of thinking.

I honestly can't believe people are debating the importance (or even existence) of natural ability.

This.

To argue that we are all somehow born with the same aptitudes is ridiculous. There are plenty of people on this forum that put in hours of practice and dry fire each week, but they will never finish ahead of others that can count their yearly practice sessions on one hand.

There is nothing wrong with this, it is just a fact of life.

I honestly can't believe people are debating the importance (or even existence) of natural ability.

This.

To argue that we are all somehow born with the same aptitudes is ridiculous. There are plenty of people on this forum that put in hours of practice and dry fire each week, but they will never finish ahead of others that can count their yearly practice sessions on one hand.

There is nothing wrong with this, it is just a fact of life.

Yep.....

Round count won't mean anything unless each and every round has a purpose when fired. Going to the range and shooting 500 rounds and half of those were misses, charlies, or deltas is just a waste of ammo and time.

Rich

This statement is spot on. When I started shooting 15 years ago I went to the range 4 to 5 days a week. In 3 years over 100 k went down range. It was all bad practice. The skill level at our local matches was not that high, and to win all it took was speed. I shot a lot of misses and noshoots, and would still win the match. After being stuck in b class for along time me and wife took a class from Max, and Travis. In 1 month of the right practice I made a class in limited. Unfortunately a few months after that I was promoted at my job and work 60+ hours a week. No time for practice. And for the natural talent doesn't exist crowd, I have none. Just a love for shooting.

Round count won't mean anything unless each and every round has a purpose when fired. Going to the range and shooting 500 rounds and half of those were misses, charlies, or deltas is just a waste of ammo and time.

Rich

Unless that was the point, to learn what would cause those results so that you can avoid repeating. Never be afraid to fail when practicing. It's necessary in fact to regularly go beyond limits of control in order to push those limits further.