Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need some help being convinced

I have a Glock 34 rigged out for production. I have done realistically everything you can do to the gun to race it out. I recently got into a range where I can do some real practice, so I started back up with my dryfire once a day for 15 minutes and live fire once a week. I've got a BOSS holster and mag pouches specific for this gun.

I'm struggling with one thing. I REALLY want a CZ. I've never seen, held, or shot one, but I have gun envy bad from these forums. I know it's not the gun holding me back. I have a good load worked up for my Glock. If I think about this logically, it would be ridiculous for me to switch. I've spent time and money that I won't get back if I dump the Glock.

In summation, please help to convince me that my Glock is what I should stick with.

Get the CZ.... You know you want it. :D Seriously though. The gun may not be holding you back at all, but the simple thought that it might be can be enough to throw your game off. I had buddy that literally went through the same issue. He started off with a G 17 in production but was always eyeballing my Shadow. He eventually broke down and got a Shaodw for himself. Since then the Glock has been gathering dust in the safe. He would have done just as well with the Glock, I have no doubt. But the CZ is what he wanted and now the constant nagging "what if" has left his mind and he can focus only on the shooting.

I would be a poor benchmark as a compettion shooter. However I grew up in the early days of IPSC where a customized 1911 in .45 the "gun". The cools kids ran .38 Supers. A crisp single action trigger pull of 2.75-3 pounds was easily attainable though any number of gunsmiths. Shooting a 1911 was pure joy.

I like my Glocks and understand their role as tools. But I still really have to work at shooting well with the factory Glock trigger. Yesterday I am the range enjoying comparing several different loads and a fellow shooter ask me to try his M&P in .45. The trigger had been replaced by the Apex unit and it was light and crisp. With even thinking about it, I put all of the rounds into a single large hole on the target. Then to make it worse, guy asked if a lady can shoot my 17L. She picks up my gun, with my ammo and shoots five rounds into one ragged hole on the target. The whole experience made me laugh.

I know I can shot better than I do with the Glock and I also know it is an unrealistic expectation to ever expect the trigger to be something it is not mechanically. But I still dream.....

CZ's are popular for a number of good reasons. But deep down I think it comes back to the trigger. Just one old guys opinion. And yes I owned a CZ at one time.

Indeed, it is all in your head.

However, part of this sport involves actually having fun. Shoot what inspires and interests you. Shoot what keeps you coming to matches.

I shoot an open gun decently and is my main division, but have always liked revolvers. When the 8 shot rule change came about I fixed up a 627 good enough to use for USPSA. I suck at revolver...but I really enjoy it and plan on shooting the revolver for at least a few more months because it makes me smile. It also gives the folks I shoot with a good laugh, so it is a win-win proposition. :D

BTW - KneelingAtlas's response shocks me. (heavy on the sarcasm!) :ph34r:

I agree with Bamboo, we're all out here to have fun and if you're not in love with shooting your Glock, shoot something else. You don't have to feel like you're betraying the Brotherhood of Glock Shooters, it's just a gun. In fact, I'm picking up my first 38 super 2011 Open gun today :ph34r:

Naturally I'm curious about the most popular platform and (arguably) the most popular caliber so when I had the chance to try both at the same time I jumped on it :goof: The best part about buying used is that you can reasonably expect to sell used with little risk, so you can buy it, try it, if you don't fall in love, sell it off to the next curious shooter :cheers:

The trouble is if you're quick to fall in love, you end up with dozens of high end competition pistols :devil:

and.... completely from personal experience....

please consider that ANY other gun offers you an out into "what could be"

run what you have without further thought.

AND!!!!

look into having a CZ.

I have found any flimsy excuse is a good one for not attending a match.

miranda

It sounds like you're committed to sticking to one platform. This is good.

Can you borrow someone's shadow? This will probably give you clarity in your dilemma.

I switched to a Shadow from a G17 and G21. I like my Shadow but I still like my Glocks. They are different guns but there isn't anything I can't do just as well with one over the other.

I think for production USPSA it all comes down to preference. If it was only just a matter of recoil recovery and accuracy the heavier, single action gun wins but there's so much more like transitions, reloads and large target zones etc. so all that gets equalized between guns.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

It's not that I'm not having fun; I am. I'm excited to be improving and gaining a new skill. I may not shoot any matches until January, but it's not due to the Glock. That's more the fault of hunting season. I plan to continue practicing through this time though.

I won't feel like I'm betraying anyone. I have no loyalty to any one company. I carry a Glock, so when I started it made the most sense to shoot a Glock. I bought a 34 and raced it out. It never felt anything was wrong in matches. Once I started dry firing, I noticed how hard it was to get a high grip without having my fingers on top of the finger grooves. It just seems like it would be easier to get a consistent grip on a gun that doesn't have finger grooves.

I think I'm going to stick it out for a few more months. I don't think I've given enough serious training time to the Glock to write it off yet. Also, there is no way I will get anywhere near what I paid for the gun and the modifications if I tried to dump it. That's a good enough reason right now to stick with it.

When/if the time comes to switch and you want to sell the G34, return it to stock configuration and sell it and the race parts separately. You will recoup more of your money that way. I did the exact same thing when I switched over to another platform.

That depends how much difference $500-$1,000 makes in your budget.

That really depends on how much awesome comes with that $500-$1,000. If it's worth it, I will save up for longer. If it's not, I get a new gun quicker ... if I decide to switch.

That actually makes the idea of switching more bearable. If it's not a $1700 proposition, I may just do this shortly. I'm sure anyone following this thread sees how much I waiver on this in such a short period of time lol. I go back and forth about this all day long. I have about 1.5k rounds loaded up for my Glock, and I have a case of Bayou Bullets I was going to start loading up with the load I have for the Glock. I don't want to load up the new case only to be stuck with bullets that may not work in the CZ. So many decisions and dilemmas...

Borrowing a gun is NO way to actually decide whether or not you want to make a permanent switch. You either need to do it and wring BOTH guns out against a known set of standards, ie classifiers or you need to just switch and not look back.

I shot well over 200k rounds through Glocks in the span of four years with one G17 shooting 70K plus rounds. I LOVED that gun, absolutely LOVED it but developed some pretty wicked wrist tendinitis. I decided to find a gun with a more natural grip angle and settled on the Shadow.

I put about 20k rounds through the Shadow platform and hated it. The gun was simply too narrow in the beavertail area. Yes, i fought, and fought and fought and figured it was just ME and that eventually i would figure out how to shoot the gun to the same performance level as my Glocks. It never happened. I could shoot them well enough but i was always working against the gun instead of having it work with me.

I ended up stumbling upon the P09 and have been more than pleased with that platform at the low cost of entry of 445 bucks. Shadows are great guns but there is WAY too much hype surrounding them these days...

Methinks you came to the wrong place to get talked out of a CZ. More than a few of us have lighter wallets and shiny CZs. I shot a G17 in production, now the CZ. Are my scores higher, no. But, that's not the gun's fault. The Glock likely isn't holding you back. But, and there's always a but--the CZ is a dandy gun and you won't be sorry you purchased it. If you can afford it, rock on. If not, glock on and don't open any posts about CZ. :)

Borrowing a gun is NO way to actually decide whether or not you want to make a permanent switch. You either need to do it and wring BOTH guns out against a known set of standards, ie classifiers or you need to just switch and not look back.

I went and held one at the LGS on Friday afternoon, and I really liked the way it felt in my hand. There is a range nearby that has one for rental. I plan on going to shoot that when I'm no longer on call. I think you're right. If my initial impressions are good after renting it, I need to pick it up and not look back.

Methinks you came to the wrong place to get talked out of a CZ. More than a few of us have lighter wallets and shiny CZs. I shot a G17 in production, now the CZ. Are my scores higher, no. But, that's not the gun's fault. The Glock likely isn't holding you back. But, and there's always a but--the CZ is a dandy gun and you won't be sorry you purchased it. If you can afford it, rock on. If not, glock on and don't open any posts about CZ. :)

I think you have all done the opposite of what I was hoping for here. I think I'll have one of these monsters before the end of the year. GEEZ, thanks a lot guys!

I know what the OP is going through. About the only cure is to stop reading about CZ's etc. if you don't you will drive yourself nuts. I would like a CZ but it would be a major switch for me to do so. I'm too heavily invested in S&W stuff.