Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5' at the Shoulders

Luv2rideWV

Help! The classifiers say the metric targets are to be 5' at the shoulder. If we cut the stakes to a 5' length, then the top of the shoulder is about 5'2" whereas there is some wood showing if we actually lower the target down to 5' at the shoulder. I don't have a picture to post, but can someone offer some guidance? Is it ok to have any wood showing near the top of the target? Should the stakes be cut at 58"?

Help! The classifiers say the metric targets are to be 5' at the shoulder. If we cut the stakes to a 5' length, then the top of the shoulder is about 5'2" whereas there is some wood showing if we actually lower the target down to 5' at the shoulder. I don't have a picture to post, but can someone offer some guidance? Is it ok to have any wood showing near the top of the target? Should the stakes be cut at 58"?

Yup, shoulders a 5' so the stakes end at 4' 10"...

Don't worry about cutting sticks for a club match.

i disagree. Classifiers especially need to not have distractions such as 3feet of target stick sticking up in the air. Looks like crap too

Don't worry about cutting sticks for a club match.

i disagree. Classifiers especially need to not have distractions such as 3feet of target stick sticking up in the air. Looks like crap too

Agreed. Classifiers, especially, are universal and are supposed to be the same everywhere. It's the only way to keep them even and fair to everyone.

And where did we get the idea that we can slack off on the rules at "local" matches? If it's an official, Level 1 USPSA match, it's in the rule book, and there are several exceptions (also in the rule book) for Level I to help clubs that don't have as much equipment and props, to allow for some coaching of new shooters, etc.

Use 4' sticks and have a couple of 5' sticks set aside. Place the 4' sticks in the stands and use the 5' stick to do a quick and accurate 5' measurement to the shoulders as you staple the targets in place.

You can also do like us and have stands that are open to the ground on the bottom. Place 5' sticks in them and staple the shoulders flush with the top of the sticks. We will buy 10' 2x8's and rip them down into 1x2's after cutting the 10' pieces in half. Cheaper than buying bundles of 1x2's, especially if you have people with industrial table saws.

And where did we get the idea that we can slack off on the rules at "local" matches? If it's an official, Level 1 USPSA match, it's in the rule book, and there are several exceptions (also in the rule book) for Level I to help clubs that don't have as much equipment and props, to allow for some coaching of new shooters, etc.

I may have failed in my RO education. Is there a rule stating that sticks must be cut off flush?

Also, what kind of leveling measures do you use in your bays to verify the altitude of the shooting box is the same as the targets? Laser? GPS? What do you do if there's a discrepancy?

:devil:

Edited by motosapiens

I may have failed in my RO education. Is there a rule stating that sticks must be cut off flush?

Also, what kind of leveling measures do you use in your bays to verify the altitude of the shooting box is the same as the targets? Laser? GPS? What do you do if there's a discrepancy?

We use laser actually

No "rule". But, look at Appendix B1.

While agree that Level 1 matches must follow the rules and I agree that it is best not to use the Level 1 exemptions unless absolutely necessary- I also feel it is important not to call something a rule that is not. It is a suggestion at best- Appendix B1 "Cutting the tops off the stakes provides an improved visual presentation and prevents the stakes from obscuring downrange targets"

This! Most of the club bays around here are pretty uneven. If it's within a couple of inches, it's good to go!

What a slippery slope that is. With a classifier strict attention to detail is key to making sure we all shoot the exact same classifier across the country. No such thing as a couple of inches being close enough. I have seen classifiers tossed for less than that!

What a slippery slope that is. With a classifier strict attention to detail is key to making sure we all shoot the exact same classifier across the country. No such thing as a couple of inches being close enough. I have seen classifiers tossed for less than that!

I think a couple inches between targets is a totally different animal than a couple inches of sticks protruding (or a bay that is very slightly inclined).

We do the best we can with common equipment (tape measure, etc...). We don't break out the computer/gps guided dirt leveling equipment.

There are all sorts of issues with how the classifier diagrams are draw, It would serve us best if ALL measurements were to the centers, not edges especially with Poppers. Also a diagram with two reference points would allow for more precise target layout; From point A 23 feet, from point B 18 feet 4 inches. with A and B being a standard set of coordinates. Properly laid out A and B could be used for all of the various classifiers. At one point I started to draw this up, but flat out don't have the time or the Cad Skills.

For the most part the only couple of inches I deal with are in distance measurements. +/- a couple of inches at 75', 105', or 150' is plenty close enough when laying them out. The distance between targets or for target height are going to be +/- maybe 1/4".

There are all sorts of issues with how the classifier diagrams are draw, It would serve us best if ALL measurements were to the centers, not edges especially with Poppers. Also a diagram with two reference points would allow for more precise target layout; From point A 23 feet, from point B 18 feet 4 inches. with A and B being a standard set of coordinates. Properly laid out A and B could be used for all of the various classifiers. At one point I started to draw this up, but flat out don't have the time or the Cad Skills.

It might be because so many of us are in forms of the construction industry, but it is common for us to stretch a cord to create a center line to base our measurements off of. After marking the various distances we then use that same center line to measure the distance to the left or right of that center line.

We use marker flags to denote the inside corners of the targets so that others can place the target stands as we measure out the classifier.

Always asked Lowes to cut the 1x2s to 5'. The leftovers are used for short targets. Usually end up looking for short sticks before we run out of 5'ers. The short sticks are always good to break up the plain of the stage. Never have to worry about the berm either.

BTW Sarge, If you're still using the target bases we made when I was part of MR&P crew the 1x2s go through the base and touch the ground.

Edited by Ray_Z

Always asked Lowes to cut the 1x2s to 5'. The leftovers are used for short targets. Usually end up looking for short sticks before we run out of 5'ers. The short sticks are always good to break up the plain of the stage. Never have to worry about the berm either.

BTW Sarge, If you're still using the target bases we made when I was part of MR&P crew the 1x2s go through the base and touch the ground.

Hi Ray. We bought metal stands that take up a lot less room. Sticks also touch the ground with them.