Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well Intentioned Gun Suggestions

KJFpdx

I have an HK P30, which I love. I am a lefty. I choose the P30 because it fits my hand and it has a great fully ambi slide lock and mag release -- both of which I can actually reach and operate. I can handle it okay on the range, I've been able to take several classes this summer and I've done a couple Speed Steel matches just for the experience. I'm not an great but I'm competent and I'm progressing.

Here is what puzzles me. I've lost track of the people who ask "What do you have?" And after I tell them, they immediately say I need to get this gun or that gun -- sometimes even before they have seen me shoot or even know that I shoot left handed and why I picked the HK.

I just smile and thank them for their advice, after all it is offered with good intentions. However I wonder if this is normal gun enthusiasm, or people are not familiar with the HK name and they think it's Hi-Point, or maybe they think I don't know how to pick a gun because I am female? Nobody tells my husband he needs a different gun . . .

I don't think it's because gun people don't know what an hk is. Most gun nuts know hk it's top notch. I think it's mostly because your a female and machismo dictates we have to tell you about manly things, like guns, football, and burping! I think the second thing is just human nature. Whatever equipment I use is the best so everyone needs to use it

Edited by ron169

That must seriously suck. But sounds like you are aware of the situation and are handling it so good for you.

BTW, I'm the same as you (except for the woman part) and bought an H&K just because it is so natural in my left hand. Time will tell but it might become my next competition gun. They are great guns so don't make any excuses for what you shoot.

I am sure some of it is because you are female, but I think many people on the range will give unsolicited advise. I think most of it is well intentioned. I started shooting USPSA production with a CZ in 2009, and I commonly got told to switch to Glockfor any number of reasons.

Thanks everyone. There is truth to every comment : )

Based on my two Speed Steel matches, I admit there could be a valid reason to switch to a striker fired pistol that has no thumb safety. Yes I am slower getting my P30 out of the holster, sweeping off the safety, and getting the first round on the steel. I started drawing from a holster this summer so still developing that skill for ANY handgun. I'm most interested in improving my defensive shooting and I see the Speed Steel matches as good experience for a new-ish shooter. Maybe later when I've improved my speed I will try some of the other defense-oriented competitions.

And I really don't mind the gun advice as much as I think it's funny. After all, the HK people know that WE have the best and everyone should be shooting HK ! ! !

Here comes some more of that male advice.......go shoot IDPA!

Shooting steel is fine but if you really want to shoot defensive style competition don't wait till you are 'good enough.' Dry fire practice will help improve your speed with draws, target acquisition, reloads, etc. But then shoot the matches you want to. There is a feeling of accomplishment that goes with shooting your first match, making all the rookie mistakes and coming in dead last then x number of months later placing in the middle of the pack or higher.

Go shoot!

There is some advice I just take on doing an IDPA match sooner than later!

On my first Speed Steel last month I wasn't the very lowest score, but very near the bottom. I shot from the low ready position, used just over 300 rounds, and average string was in the 16 second range.

This month I was a tad higher from the bottom. I shot drawing from the holster, used 219 rounds, and average string was in the 11 second range. Not great by any means, but better than last month. Our club has an IDPA next weekend. I'm planning to go watch if I have available time. If it doesn't look too scary I may just give it a try before the year is out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't care what anyone's gender is. If I see someone with an H&K at a local, for-fun match that involves speed and they are open to communication, I'm going to suggest a CZ, Glock, M&P, Tanfoglio (This would be much higher if the factory started using better quality materials and upped their QC) , or Beretta, in that order.

There's a reason. I'm likely going to be faster than anyone else there, and I'm not going to be using an H&K.

I like H&K's a lot. I've always been enamored with them. They're too quirky to be as competitive as other guns. From the high bore axis to the unusual magazine release, there are better options, and they likely will, or can be made to fit anyone's hand just as well.

That being said, I'm hot to try the VP9.

That also being said, odds are, at a local steel shoot, with the right kind of practice, you can be faster than anyone else there while using the H&K.

My take on the reason that you are getting all the unsolicited advice is that the p30 v3 double action single action trigger is particularly difficult to use and is not suited for fast action shooting. The ergonomics are amazing but the trigger just sucks to put it mildly.

I have an HK P30, which I love. I am a lefty. I choose the P30 because it fits my hand and it has a great fully ambi slide lock and mag release -- both of which I can actually reach and operate. I can handle it okay on the range, I've been able to take several classes this summer and I've done a couple Speed Steel matches just for the experience. I'm not an great but I'm competent and I'm progressing.

Here is what puzzles me. I've lost track of the people who ask "What do you have?" And after I tell them, they immediately say I need to get this gun or that gun -- sometimes even before they have seen me shoot or even know that I shoot left handed and why I picked the HK.

I just smile and thank them for their advice, after all it is offered with good intentions. However I wonder if this is normal gun enthusiasm, or people are not familiar with the HK name and they think it's Hi-Point, or maybe they think I don't know how to pick a gun because I am female? Nobody tells my husband he needs a different gun . . .

Maybe they are flirting with you. HK makes some of the best guns on the market.