Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production platform for open shooter?

DrLove

Guys, I’ve been thinking of trying production for a while. The question is, what is the ultimate production platform for an open shooter? That is, what is the closest production legal gun to a 2011 platform?

I'd say pick CZ SP01 Shadow Custom / Accu-shadow or Tanfoglio Stock II 9mm (since there's not a 1911 production gun to otherwise share parts, ability to work on gun ...)

I'm going the other way CZ (Accu-shadow, also some things similar Stock II) to open, a few observations FWIW (from ~B class, maybe different insight from > B :-)

The grip angle doesn't seem to be much different (for me), also I've heard the XD has similar grip angle to 1911/2011.

The single action of a tuned SP-01 Shadow with short reset may be as close at you are going to get to a 2011 trigger in terms of crisp 2# like or so pull

A stock II will have a little larger frame for your hand maybe like 2011 grip width, with maybe a little less crisp SA trigger pull compared to CZ

A 90 degree c-more mount for your Open gun seems to make it easier to switch back/forth to any production gun, its lower to slide like iron sight vs normal upright c-more.

The grip angle and 'safe-action' trigger are going to make a Glock about the least closest to a 2011.

Edited by trgt

Forget the striker fired guns, as an Open shooter you will hate them. Embrace the DA/SA. There is a maximum of 1 DA trigger pull per stage. The SA's make it all worth while. CZ or Tangfo are the logical choices

Hello: Those that have done this always come back to shooting open or limited. I will suggest you save the cash and buy a 2011 limited gun instead. For me it was not the trigger so much as all the reloads and looking at stages totally different than limited or open. I actually have more fun shooting a revolver or a single stack than a production gun. Saying all that pick one, for me it is actually a Glock 34. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Those that have done this always come back to shooting open or limited. I will suggest you save the cash and buy a 2011 limited gun instead. For me it was not the trigger so much as all the reloads and looking at stages totally different than limited or open. I actually have more fun shooting a revolver or a single stack than a production gun. Saying all that pick one, for me it is actually a Glock 34. Thanks, Eric

Eric, I love open, I'm not going away any time soon, I just want to play with production for a while but open remains for sure!! I hate glocks so it's for sure not a glock. Maybe a CZ or an XDM but I'm still collecting feedback.

Hello: Having had a CZ Shadow, XD, XDM, M&P and some Glocks. The CZ is the most accurate and best SA trigger. I did not like starting with the hammer down(thought of a AD) every time. I also did not like the DA trigger much either. It did feel good in the hand, better than the others. Maybe you should try Limited 10 minor, with a 2011 9mm 6". Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I had a shadow, a 2011 standard gun and a 1911 all at once. Switching between the 3 screwed with my reloads. I think it was the grip angle Of the shadow that caused it. I would slam the mag into the back of the mag well on the shadow quite often.

The other problem was ad's when going from the shadow to the 1911 platform. Getting in the habit of taking up that da slack was bad for business.

I sold the shadow to fund an open gun.

Smith M&P has a similar grip angle.

I shoot one for a year plus and it never had a problem. Was plenty accurate out of the box, and there are all sorts of legal mods for the trigger etc

One thing you may notice early & often is how light a polymer-frame Production gun is compared to any 2011-type Open gun. It really bothered me a lot, especially when doing mag changes or empty-start stages. With a CZ or Tanfoglio that problem goes away, the guns weigh the same as a 2011 just in a more compact package. The grip angle and mag changes are a little different, it's tough to load any gun without a magwell although Glock, M&P might be the easiest in that regard.

The Para LDA has always been Production-legal, one of the first Prod nationals was won by Todd using an LDA after he gave it a try-out that season winning Limited at the Florida Open with an LDA 40. But two big problems with it are: mag changes are like putting a very square peg in a very square hole with no flare to the mag tunnel at all, AND, various people had lots of problems with them. And you can forget about detail-stripping one. That was so long ago that a search of the current Benos forum engine might not even find them, just like I couldn't find a decent Youtube video of a full-size LDA in 40 or 9mm. If it wasn't for those issues, yeah, the LDA would be the closest to Open by a mile.

I would recomend the M+P with a trigger job the ones I have handled (by Gene Morin) have better triggers than my 1911

I tried an M&P with a trigger Gene worked on and I was very impressed and my gun has the drop in Apex parts.

Then I shot my friends CZ Shadow and want one of those now.

XDM 5.25 for me. With 5 grand in an Open gun, I'm not dumping another 2 grand into a Production gun just to "play" with if my Open gun is down or something. I put a PRP trigger in the XDM, lightened the recoil spring, and put some lead in the guiderod and called it good. The grip angle is pretty good compared to my STI. I loved my G34 but could not get the hang of grip difference once I went Open.

One thing you may notice early & often is how light a polymer-frame Production gun is compared to any 2011-type Open gun. It really bothered me a lot, especially when doing mag changes or empty-start stages. With a CZ or Tanfoglio that problem goes away, the guns weigh the same as a 2011 just in a more compact package. The grip angle and mag changes are a little different, it's tough to load any gun without a magwell although Glock, M&P might be the easiest in that regard.

The Para LDA has always been Production-legal, one of the first Prod nationals was won by Todd using an LDA after he gave it a try-out that season winning Limited at the Florida Open with an LDA 40. But two big problems with it are: mag changes are like putting a very square peg in a very square hole with no flare to the mag tunnel at all, AND, various people had lots of problems with them. And you can forget about detail-stripping one. That was so long ago that a search of the current Benos forum engine might not even find them, just like I couldn't find a decent Youtube video of a full-size LDA in 40 or 9mm. If it wasn't for those issues, yeah, the LDA would be the closest to Open by a mile.

Good point, forgot that mag wells are a no no. Paras kind of suck to reload without one.