Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgunning headaches

jborzo

I never spent much time shooting shotguns until I started 3-gunning about 2 years ago. I find that during the match I develop a dull headache - pretty much just enough to be irritating. I believe it is caused by my shotgun as I can shoot a rifle a lot without having this problem. I also believe that it is recoil related and not from the report as I wear plugs and muffs and the problem still occurs. I do not find the recoil itself particularly bothersome, other than the headache it seems to cause of course, as I am shooting a gas gun (FN SLP) with light loads and I am not a small dude.

I am assuming that I am doing something wrong - stockweld probably - but I have not had any luck fixing this.

Has anyone ran into the same thing? Any tips on how to avoid this from happening would be appreciated.

If it were your checkweld, I'd think you'd feel it there too. I had a pretty bad headache after a local match last weekend, but I also know I can off the stock for at least a few rounds on my last stage (really quick classifier-type stage). My cheek was pretty sore for a few days. FWIW, I shoot an 870 with Wally World Federal loads.

That's normal. It'll occur less and less as your form improves. Make sure your shotgun is well seated in your shoulder, your face naturally rests on the stock, and that the shotgun has some semblance of fit to your body.

One of the things I like about my M2 is that I have never gotten that feeling from it, no matter how fast I've shot it or how sloppy my technique may have been. Now, my over/under, or some other folks' shotguns (SLP, I am looking at you) that I have occasionally shot, can leave me feeling like a mule kicked me in the cheekbone...

Yeah, it's cheek weld and stock fit.

Looks like i should focus on my technique. So is it just that if your stock weld is loose that this occurs? I suppose that makes sense.

I could try another gun to see if it makes any difference.

It's a combination of technique and fit. If the stock does not fit you, it will be much harder to have proper technique. Check out Pat Kelley's article on shotgun fit (sorry, don't have a link handy).

From a Chiropractor's perspective....if you are craning your head further forward than you would shooting rifle or pistol, it's easy to get spasms in suboccipital muscles. Most of my patients with bad headaches have some sort of issue in the relationship with the top two vertebra in their neck and the base of their skull. If that area is already prone to insult, you're adding fuel to the fire. A guy with short arms shooting my shotgun might have to crane his head forward to get into the same spot to shoot, but if I swapped a 1/2" shorter recoil pad onto the stock, he wouldn't have those issues at all. A properly fit shotgun isn't just good for being a better shooter. The least amount of drop, with cheekpad one size taller than factory, and standard recoil pad on my M2 was the cure for me to shoot the scattergun comfortably.

Thanks for the link to the article. I will experiment and see what I find.

Funny you should mention the chiropractor...I saw one for the first time on Monday and have already had a few adjustments. I am a programmer so I ride a desk A LOT and have been having some discomfort in my neck and back recently.

So...what are the chances that this is what is causing my problem?

I also shot a USPSA match on Sunday and still noticed slight headache (never noticed one previously) so it seems like it is not isolated to my shotgun.

Maybe once I get straightened out and check my shotgun fit this issue will be resolved. (Fingers crossed.)

Great info here, and probably all you need to fix your issue. However, I'll throw another monkey wrench in based on "it happened to me!".

When was you last dental checkup? I had a small cavity in a back molar on my shooting side that ended up impinging on a part of the maxillary nerve and causing bad headaches that would get worse after shooting the shotgun. Got it fixed, the headaches went away.

Jborzo, just something to check... When you said you ride a desk a lot this came to mind b/c this was the case with me during certain times of the year.

If you are not use to being outside all day long in the sun and you are not taking care of yourself when you are out there (water, food, sunscreen) then it could very well be a case of sun poisoning/dehydration.

I'll keep the dental health in mind. I had a checkup a few months ago so I think I am good but until I get it resolved who knows.

The sun poisoning/dehydration was the first thing that I thought of. I always keep hydration in mind at when outdoors, that's one good habit I picked up in the military. I carry sunscreen in my range bag and sometimes I even remember to use it.

So I think I have those covered. I still seem to have the problem at events that are only a few hours and when sun/heat are not a problem. So that is what led me to believe it wasn't those.

I shot a Beretta 1301 awhile back and I really liked it. Seemed like it was about 2 lbs lighter than my SLP and still shot softer. My SLP is barely broken in though so I gotta stick with it for awhile at least.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...