Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster draw time

rmj339

I have started working on my holster draw time trying to clean it up. Just using a open top blade tech for idpa. 7 yds draw and fire one round in the a zone. Started 1.5 then got to 1.25 now down around 1 and sometimes a little under. Are there any suggestions on how to speed it up and with this holster is there going to be a limit on how fast I can go?

Thanks

Here you go. The target is closer than 7 yards here though. Let see how fast your draw is. I don't go this fast in matches but I can consistently hit in the .6x's from hands at sides in practice.

Edited by RussellM

Not sure why so many people spend so much time worrying about how fast their draw is .....? I don't know about you all but in my typical monthly match I do 5 draws. So even if I cut my draw from 1.5 secs to 1 sec I've only cut 2.5 secs off my match total, and that assumes all 5 draws we're at nice, close 7 yd targets. Compare that to the number of transitions you do in a match, or reloads if you are a Production shooter or the typical run to position, stop, setup, shoot then run to the next array that most shooters do vice shooting into and out of positions, shooting targets as soon as they can be seen, etc and you'll see you're probably wasting ten times what you save by having a GM sub sec draw ....

Not saying this applies to anyone here but show me a B/C class shooter with a sub one sec draw and I'll show you someone who is focusing on the wrong things in training ....

Not sure why so many people spend so much time worrying about how fast their draw is .....? I don't know about you all but in my typical monthly match I do 5 draws.

that's a reasonable point, but remember that many folks also participate in steel challenge, or care about their classifiers, and in those activities the draw is pretty important. I think it's also just a good warmup for building your grip properly and consistently and getting the sights to show up in the right place subconsciously.

I will say to the OP however, that I *always* do my live fire draws to 2 shots, and more often I just pay attention to the first split on a more complex drill. It's not really beneficial to be able to draw really fast and get 1 shot on paper if your gun is not ready to fire another shot within a competitive split time. I think you are probably going to build some bad habits by drawing to only 1 shot.

I can vouch for RusselM, btw. I watched most of his stages at nats and he seems to draw faster than your garden-variety GM, also extremely accurate.

Edited by motosapiens

Here you go. The target is closer than 7 yards here though. Let see how fast your draw is. I don't go this fast in matches but I can consistently hit in the .6x's from hands at sides in practice.

:cheers: Nice scoop!!

Not sure why so many people spend so much time worrying about how fast their draw is .....? I don't know about you all but in my typical monthly match I do 5 draws. So even if I cut my draw from 1.5 secs to 1 sec I've only cut 2.5 secs off my match total, and that assumes all 5 draws we're at nice, close 7 yd targets. Compare that to the number of transitions you do in a match, or reloads if you are a Production shooter or the typical run to position, stop, setup, shoot then run to the next array that most shooters do vice shooting into and out of positions, shooting targets as soon as they can be seen, etc and you'll see you're probably wasting ten times what you save by having a GM sub sec draw ....

Not saying this applies to anyone here but show me a B/C class shooter with a sub one sec draw and I'll show you someone who is focusing on the wrong things in training ....

Because in the grand scheme of things, every bit counts.

That's badass fast. 10 in a row cold I will believe. 1 video on a 3 yard target is not enough to convince me.

I will see what I can do. My live fire practice is done for the next few months so it might have to wait.

I spend a lot of time practicing my draw because I shoot a lot of still plate matches. Even in USPSA, a bad grip on the draw will make everything after that slower. To me, a good draw gives a solid high grip, consistent times, and lastly speed. I work on my draw a lot because I am not dependable on any of those three things.

Because in the grand scheme of things, every bit counts.

But if you are spending excessive amount of time/effort on the draw, to the detriment of other valuable skills, you may be doing *worse* in the grand scheme of things.

I find it useful to constantly reassess my skills, determine what skills I suck the most at, and train hardest at those things (while trying not to neglect the things I suck less at).

Edited by motosapiens

Motosapiens,

I agree to a point.

By the time someone is doing 0.6 second draws consistently, they will have figured out they should be working on other parts of the game.

If a 0.6 second draw can be done subconsciously by a shooter, that's more they can use from their "library" of skills.

And I've seen shooters with really good draws, but their target to target transition just sucks!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to spend a lot of time on my draw. I got it to where I was "proficient" but I kept on working at it. I always thought of it as something that wasn't worth as much time as I put into it but I liked doing it. One of the biggest problems i faced when getting a crazy fast draw was getting the follow up shots under control or seeing the sights. I would have a really good first shot but then it would take what I thought was an eternity to get to the next shot (mostly in steel challenge). I then focused on fixing this lag on the second shot. Which turned into a different emphasis than the draw. So I guess my point is the draw is a good thing to practice because it creates a base or sets the tone/pace for the rest of the stage/drill. The problem with me was my draw was more developed than the rest of my skills hence the perceived problem with the follow up shots.

As for gaining time on the draw. Where I gained the most time was getting to the gun faster. Being aggressive with this movement will net the easiest gains. The next thing I worked was something people sometimes overlook (I call it aiming speed) The time it takes you to line up the sights. The faster I would present the gun the slower my aiming speed would be. So I worked on smoothing out the last few inches of the presentation of the gun which in turn increased my aiming speed.

Just my 2 1/2 cents for whatever that's worth!

Edited by naim

To the OP, nothing wrong with a little dry-fire. Like others have said, a 1 second to first shot draw is nothing to sneeze at by any stretch. There are so many layers to this "onion" that everything can be worked on. Draws are "cool" so they get a lot of focus, but they are not the most important skill. Work on some others while putting in some dry fire and see what happens. Just don't stress about 1 second draws.

I think the following two posts highlight the most important part of the draw SIGHT PICTURE.

I used to spend a lot of time on my draw. I got it to where I was "proficient" but I kept on working at it....The next thing I worked was something people sometimes overlook (I call it aiming speed) The time it takes you to line up the sights. The faster I would present the gun the slower my aiming speed would be. So I worked on smoothing out the last few inches of the presentation of the gun which in turn increased my aiming speed...

Get your draw to an A at 25 yards to 1.25. Point shoot draws aren't skill builders, but they look cool.

"Acceptable sight picture" part of the draw right before the shot that is the most important. Mr. Dry-Fire Steve Anderson stresses this by having his first seven drills you don't pull the trigger but confirm a sight picture for an A hit.

Here's Bob Vogel's explanation of draw speed and how distance affects the time to the first shot. He's 1.02s at 7 yds and 1.21s at 15 yards with 1.39s at 25.

http://youtu.be/0vNdH5J2T8I?t=3m15s

DNH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is your reload time? Depending on division you may be reloading 1-4 times per stage. Instead of shaving a .25-.5 seconds off a draw, why not focus on trying to shave. .5 off each reload and save 2 seconds of total time?

How are your target transitions? with 8-10+ transitions per stage, shaving .25 seconds off each one of those can add up too. Here's another 2 seconds off your stage time.

How's your footwork? Moving a bit faster from position to position or being ready to shoot .5 second earlier when you enter a new position on a stage (roughly 3-4 positions on most field courses) can save a couple seconds overall too. 1.5-2 more seconds off your time.

Fast draws are cool and we do them every stage but we only do them once per stage. Don't worry about too much focus on something you do once when there are a lot of other things you do multiple times that can add up as well. Work on getting a SOLID and CONSISTENT grip each time so the rest of the your stage can be shot well.