Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw question

ToddKS

When you draw your 1911 how do you manage your strong side thumb with regard to the safety?

For years I have established my grip with the thumb below the safety and then once the pistol is clear of the holster I move the thumb around to the top of the safety. I disengage the safety as I am indexing the pistol to the target.

Because of the extended thumb safety on my Springfield, the move with the thumb has always seemed akward. I am wondering if there is a better way.

I tried to search for some video on the topic but the word "draw" brings up art videos. Not exactly my thing.

I have been shooting 1911's for 20 years, just wondering if I have been doing it wrong all this time.

Feedback or link to videos would be appreciated.

On 1911s I've always indexed the safety with my thumb as I establish my grip on the gun (position 1). Then as I draw and clear the holster I disengage the safety (at position 2) and "roll" my thumb off the lever into shooting position for lack of a better term. By the time I'm at position 3 safety is off, I'm on the trigger and starting to push out while looking for the front sight. By the time I'm at position 4 I'm engaging targets.

No links to any video though, sorry.

Edited by LegionShooter

On 1911s I've always indexed the safety with my thumb as I establish my grip on the gun (position 1). Then as I draw and clear the holster I disengage the safety (at position 2) and "roll" my thumb off the lever into shooting position for lack of a better term. By the time I'm at position 3 safety is off, I'm on the trigger and starting to push out while looking for the front sight. By the time I'm at position 4 I'm engaging targets.

No links to any video though, sorry.

My draw is very similar to this except I don't take the gun off safe till it's pointed down range as I'm pushing out and I don't take my thumb off the thumb safety, I ride it while shooting.

Very similar for me too. Thumb goes on the safety while in the holster. For me, as soon as the gun is pointed downrange (about the time my weak hand is on the gun) the safety goes off.

I also ride the safety while shooting. Always.

Good luck!

Thanks to all who replied. I have been working to see what I need to change in my approach to allow me to comfortably establish my grip with the thumb already on top of the safety. It is not comfortable (not unexpected as I have been using a differnt technique for 20 years) but I will keep working on it. I may need to change out the safety. There is a Wilson model that puts the paddle lower that looks like it might be more comfortable.

Draw with thumb on the safety, disengage safety when extending and leave the thumb on top of the safety until you want to engage it again. No chance you will accidently engage safety during fire that way. Cheers.

like this :tup:

Draw with thumb on the safety, disengage safety when extending and leave the thumb on top of the safety until you want to engage it again. No chance you will accidently engage safety during fire that way. Cheers.

Ditto !!!

I had the opportunity to take a class with Todd a couple years ago. Having just switched to a single action gun in Standard (Limited) after starting and shooting in Production for 3 years, I make every conscious effort (which I'm sure will become second nature after some time on the gun) to disengage the safety after my support hand is in place, shortly before I'm ready to break the shot.

Todd has a very sombre story explaining why he uses that method, and it stuck in my mind.

• 1 month later...