Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to take off flash hider with set with rockset?

open67

Flash hider on a DPMS rifle set with rockset. DPMS said to use heat. Vortex ( their flash hider ) said deffinately not. Requires to much heat, immerse in water overnight. Thought I would try the collective knowledge. Thanks.

It is a high heat resistant adhesive, which is why it's used for muzzle devices. IIRC, you are supposed to be able to just remove it with a wrench and a good twist. Soaking the threads in water will help remove the residue.

I actually separated a barrel from the barrel extension trying to do this with the upper in a clamshell vice block. So you cannot just remove it with a wrench.

I was going to say use a hacksaw but then saw it was a DPMS so just throw the whole upper away and start over

Just kidding

Good luck :)

Oddly enough, the barrel that this happened on was a DPMS, and I did just throw it away lol.

Heat is useless, water helps some. Rockset is not impact resistant, so even with no water an impact driver or even an impact rated crows foot will create the fractures allowing you to remove it. I like to impact a few times, then let it soak overnight. Doing it that way, it comes off real easy in the morning.

Hopefully.......you will be able to clamp the barrel in a vise......they do make special aluminum jaws for that, otherwise, pine boards will work in a pinch.

The NOT to do is holding the upper.....you could spin the barrel out of the extension or ruin the upper.

Tim

I have removed several flash hiders installed with Rockset. I start by clamping the barrel in my vise with aluminum barrel blocks and then using an open ended wrench. I'll strike the wrench near the end with a mallet. It usually only taken one or two impacts with the mallet to loosen the flash hider.

Plasma cutter. That'll get er off, I promise.

I would like to second this, and present a couple other options including oxy-a torch, C4, and using a mini gun to shoot it off.

You could also lay it across a train track and just wait a bit.

Water is the way to get it off. I use rocksett on almost all of my guns. I run the water till it gets as hot as it is going to get out of the faucet and then I fill up a bucket. I put just the barrel in the bucket and let it soak for a few hours. Usually it only takes a few hours to get it to break down enough to unscrew it. I have put on and taken off countless adapters using rocksett.