Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to thank generous shooters?

I'm posting under a pseudonym, I'm a regular contributor here, but I don't want my plan to be discovered.

I've been shooting IPSC for several years. Many of the more experienced shooters in my local club have been very generous to me in terms of helping me navigate the sport. Two of them in particular have been very generous to me and also shoulder a lot of the responsibility for putting on the matches. I want to thank them in some way. But I'm not sure how. Spending some money is certainly doable, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this sort of thing, thanks.

IMO, any thanks, especially monetary, is unfortunately rare, and as such, something as simple as a free lunch I would think would be greatly appreciated by the recipient. Obviously, they are doing it for reasons other than monetary, so anything at all would go a long way.

Speaking as a former MD, I'd be very happy if an appreciative sort of person showed up early to help setup, and stayed late to help teardown. I'm pretty sure these folks would be happier to have your physical help instead of a gift.

Clay, I share your experience of having been mentored by people that I feel are among the very best. I really can't describe the feeling of gratitude in words, but many people know it. This is a debt that cannot be repaid. Instead of trying to find a way to return the gift, simply pass it on. Find someone who is newer than you and begin to mentor them. In this way, the knowledge of the ones you seek to honor never dies, but grows.

Clay, I share your experience of having been mentored by people that I feel are among the very best. I really can't describe the feeling of gratitude in words, but many people know it. This is a debt that cannot be repaid. Instead of trying to find a way to return the gift, simply pass it on. Find someone who is newer than you and begin to mentor them. In this way, the knowledge of the ones you seek to honor never dies, but grows.

Words from a wise man. As usual, I was too literal in my response. Pass on the knowledge.....

I think that the best "thank you" you can give them is an honest, "thank you for helping me".

I personally feel uncomfortable if someone thanks me by giving me a relatively expensive gift, I'd much rather have a meal or go out tp play some pool as a thanks token.

Clay ... pseudonym? C'mon! We know you want to "thank" Reuben Studdard for his help with your career!

:lol:

I agree on all counts. A nice folding knife is a great gift for anyone. Helping with match duties is an even better gift. Helping another up-and-coming shooter is greater still. Do all three!

Speaking of knife giving ... I used to do it frequently ... but I've learned from some European-American sub-cultures consider it bad luck to give a knife to a friend. Don't know why, since you're giving them the most fundamental survival tool known to our race. To me it's a very serious message "I care about you and your life" kind of symbol.

Or you could sing for them!

Please don't sing for them... just go out and be a target stand. ;)

Clay, Aren't you the one that sings that ' Invisible' or something song? That's not too bad. Go ahead and belt out that one, then get to the target holdn'

:P:DB)

I agree with the handshake and time for next match set-up. In our local area folks drive a ways to shoot so most don't go for lunch or drinks afterwards ( unless the hotshots from the east come to visit!!!).

One way I think to best show thanks is to step up and help run the matches. I think most of the more seasoned shooters appreciate the ability to just come and shoot the match. Becoming an RO and or volunteering to run the clipboard is a pretty good payback...

...Of course I RO at most every local match I go to. If someone wanted to drop a knife or two in the beat to crap blue dillon bag with the broken (now missing) shoulder strap I wouldn't be toooooooo insulted!!!

:P:)B)

Speaking of knife giving ... I used to do it frequently ... but I've learned from some European-American sub-cultures consider it bad luck to give a knife to a friend.
The Vietnamese believe that giving a knife to someone means that you wish to sever (cut) the bonds of friendship.......

Yes Nik, there is a very similar belief in Corporate American culture. Knives are often given as a surprise gift and delivered surreptitiously between the shoulder blades, whilst quoting the well known scripture " it is much more blessed to give than to receive". :rolleyes:

Speaking of knife giving ... I used to do it frequently ... but I've learned from some European-American sub-cultures consider it bad luck to give a knife to a friend.  Don't know why, since you're giving them the most fundamental survival tool known to our race.  To me it's a very serious message "I care about you and your life" kind of symbol.

My grandfather always told me it was bad luck to "give" someone a knife. You can "let them carry your knife" or sell it to them. He was not European-American, he was pure Texan.

He let me carry his knife for what turned out to be eternity. He even made me give him a penny for the knife he gave me for Christmas one year. I still have both of them and they will some day go to my sons...for a penny each.