Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micrometer Powder Bar Kit for Dillon Presses

Anyone have any experience with this kit? Good tool or gimmick? It's a micrometer that goes where the powder adjustment bolt is on the powder measure. Evidently I can't put the link here but it can be found by googling "uniquetek micrometer powder bar kit for Dillon presses." It's on the uniquetek website and on eBay. Just curious if anyone has used it before.

Cheers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any experience with this kit? Good tool or gimmick? It's a micrometer that goes where the powder adjustment bolt is on the powder measure. Evidently I can't put the link here but it can be found by googling "uniquetek micrometer powder bar kit for Dillon presses." It's on the uniquetek website and on eBay. Just curious if anyone has used it before.

Cheers.

It depends on how often you change powder/charges on the same toolhead. I have different quick change toolheads for different calibers, but I always use the same load on each one. I put the Lowes plastic knob on the adjusting bolt for the rare time I have to tweak the load, but never saw a need for the micrometer kit.

Thanks guys. I have one toolhead for the 9mm I load but I go between different bullet weights so it sound like this might be a helpful upgrade. Especially working up the loads. Is it hard to install? I've seen the instructions and all but I'd like your opinions and experience. Thanks.

Edited by Deaconfrost

It depends on how often you change powder/charges on the same toolhead. I have different quick change toolheads for different calibers, but I always use the same load on each one. I put the Lowes plastic knob on the adjusting bolt for the rare time I have to tweak the load, but never saw a need for the micrometer kit.

I know there are other threads discussing the plastic knob but would you by any chance happen to have the Lowe's part number for the knob you're using? I recently tried to find one at Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace and came up empty. I guess I should just go grab one from eBay.

They are not difficult to install at all. They come with precise instructions that are easy to follow. If you don't want to install it yourself uniquetek has powder bars with the micrometer installed.

Edited by Nugget

Zack, I don't know the part number but I'm getting mine from a guy on another forum. Carolina shooters club. You can search "knobs for your dillon powder measure" and it should come up. $7 shipped I figured it was worth a try and if I want something more exact then I'll get the micrometer.

I know there are other threads discussing the plastic knob but would you by any chance happen to have the Lowe's part number for the knob you're using? I recently tried to find one at Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace and came up empty. I guess I should just go grab one from eBay.

This was one that I read about in another thread. I didnt buy or it, so I cant verify personally that it works, so please double check before ordering. Just wanted to give you a starting place

http://www.amazon.com/Flowerette-Thumb-Screw-Knob-pieces/dp/B003R2VZAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1410896830&sr=1-1&keywords=thumb+screw+knob

ETA - Post below says you need the 7/16 size, not the 5/16 that is linked

Edited by JWil

Check the boxes of assorted hardware in the same isle that has the nuts,bolts they should have boxes with a couple of different styles. In any of the bog box stores.

Edited by glenr

The post with the Amazon link shows the knob, although you need the 7/16" not the 5/16" size as shown. It appears Lowes & Home Depot have discontinued the part number, but it might be worth a trip to the store to dig through the parts boxes in the hardware aisles.

I thought the Micrometer was a great idea UNTIL it came time to use it.

Now I have somewhat old eyes, and this thing is a bear to read! Even with a magnifying glass it is not much better.

I found the plastics knobs just too Mickey Mouse. So I ordered a nice big SS one with readable graduations on it from EBay. -10X better!

Edited by Reinz