Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheapest way to ship a glock grip in for stippling

3djedi

I'm sending a glock grip into ZEV for a stippling job and was wondering the best way to ship it. The instructions that ZEV gave was to use UPS or FEDEX Next day or second day air. It's about $30 for second day air. I was wondering if it would be "legal" to ship priority post office. The cost would be around $9. But since the grip is considered a "firearm" is it legal?

If you are sending the FRAME, that is THE firearm according to ATF and only FFLs can mail (USPS) them.

You can send a handgun frame via UPS or FedEx but their policies require them to go via some expensive tariffs.

If you are sending something other than the frame, then you can send it via the mail all day long.

Unless something has changed recently, both UPS and FedEx require overnight shipping. You can ship it 2nd day or slower through them but if the package gets lost, they won't need any other reason to deny your claim.

Zev sent me instructions that said to send ups nda or sda. They said I don't have to declare it a firearm just that if they ask to say parts being sent for warranty service.

Doesn't matter what Zev says (unless they're willing to reimburse you if they're wrong.) I've seen incorrect advice given by vendors on this board.

UPS has restrictions on shipping firearms. Again, unless something has changed recently, it must go overnight and there are even restrictions on where you can actually drop it off.

Edited by al503

Out here it is significantly cheaper to use the gun shop (which has an FFL) to send it via USPS. They do charge a fee for that, but the savings in being able to ship USPS is about twice the fee so you come out ahead. I think it cost me maybe $50 to send a gun last time using the gun shop FFL. Out here, sending a gun using Fed Ex or UPS (who require overnight) is at least $100 and they only do it at the "hub" stores which are few.

Edited by bountyhunter

Zev sent me instructions that said to send ups nda or sda. They said I don't have to declare it a firearm just that if they ask to say parts being sent for warranty service.

Yeah, that's the old "call it machine parts" scam and there is one big problem: if it is lost or stolen, the carrier will not replace or pay because the sender lied about the contents.

If shipping UPS , DO NOT use a UPS store in any way, makes your ins. null/void.

They, UPS , destroyed 2 custom shotguns, 1 we were shipping out, 1 was coming in, about 1 month apart.

UPS denied both claims(almost $3500.00) because both guns went through a UPS store at one point in the process.(it's somewhere in the multi page agreement you clik when shipping with them) :angry:

Haven't used UPS since, they've lost much more than that in lost revenue from us.

Hello: Most UPS stores will not ship a firearm or related parts. Nest day at the UPS depot is the best and insure it for the amount if it gets lost. Should be about $40 insured. They will send it back to you after repair USPS. At least that is what most companies do. Again make sure they insure it. Thanks, Eric

It's $30 second day insured.

If you're going to send it second day, I don't see any reason to insure it. If the package gets lost or damaged, you're going to be out of luck unless the UPS person you're dealing with doesn't know their own policy.

They don't..... But I've been using UPS for 30 years never had a lost or damaged package. Knock on wood. But not getting compensated for a lost grip won't kill me....

I'm just following instructions from ZEV.

I'm sure they will make good on their error if needed....

Edited by 3djedi

Zev is wrong. Federal law requires you to declare it to the common carrier. 18 USC 922(e). Check with some FFLs around you. If you can find someone cheap enough, it might be cheaper to send it through an FFL who can use U.S. mail. A small flat rate box is under $6.

For entertainment purposes only, not legal advice. Just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Edited by mpolans

Yeah, that's the old "call it machine parts" scam and there is one big problem: if it is lost or stolen, the carrier will not replace or pay because the sender lied about the contents.

So, I'm just wondering. If you declare machine parts and it's lost, how can they deny the claim? If it's truly lost, they can't verify that it's a firearm.

So, I'm just wondering. If you declare machine parts and it's lost, how can they deny the claim? If it's truly lost, they can't verify that it's a firearm.
Its called taking your chances and living with the consequences. If that's not palatable, you can lie (AKA: commit fraud) and submit a receipt/invoice/PO for something else when they ask for proof of what it was/value. Hopefully the package didn't just fall between the cracks for a while and UPS doesn't find it after you file your claim.
Edited by al503

You think they are going to pay your claim for $1000 or whatever your gun costs if you sent "machine parts"?

That's the point. And you wouldn't believe how many guns get stolen.

Edited by bountyhunter

I'm not worried about it. It's a grip with no trigger assembly. Nothing at all but a piece of plastic really.

If it gets lost and UPS denies the claim then it's on ZEV. If they don't cover it, that would be pretty shitty customer relations since they told me how to ship it and they do this stuff for a living.

Anyway I'm not concerned about it at all....

Edited by 3djedi

I'm not worried about it. It's a grip with no trigger assembly. Nothing at all but a piece of plastic really.

If it gets lost and UPS denies the claim then it's on ZEV. If they don't cover it, that would be pretty shitty customer relations since they told me how to ship it and they do this stuff for a living.

Other than you just violated federal law?

Other than you just violated federal law?

And how is Zev liable for a package lost on the way to them? That's on UPS.

If you want to get the work done, then buck up and pay the fee required to send it overnight.

Or find an FFL to help you out.