Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size is the small primer for .45 acp?

RudyVey

I have several hundred small primer brass for .45 acp. Just tried to reload them, and I am having an extreme problem of getting the small primers in. Measured the hole in a couple of de-primed cases and the primer pocket is 4.35/4.37 mm, but the Remington SP primers are measuring 4.45 mm. Not any problem with 9 mm, but these primers will not seat into the too small pockets of the .45.

What should the size of the primer hole be?? The brass is both Blazer and Federal. Any idea??

Not sure, but I load Federal SP .45 cases with Tula KVB-223 primers and they work well. Same primer in Winchester 9mm cases and also Lake City 5.56 cases. Same primer fits all three perfectly. Have now switched to KVB-5.56M primers in the 5.56 as the primer cup is slightly thicker.

Are the primer pockets crimped?

That's what I'm thinking. A small primer pocket is a small primer pocket so a small primer should fit unless the pocket is indeed crimped. What is the exact headstamp of the brass in question?

Try to hand prime a few and see if that works better. You should really be able to tell if a case is crimped or not by looking closely at the primer pocket, if there is a circle that is slightly depressed around the immediate exterior of the pocket or "stab" looking marks on the edge it was probably crimped. If not, there shouldn't be a problem in priming them with either small pistol or small rifle primers.

Its says just:

Blazer 45 Auto or Federal 45 Auto, nothing else.

From the look of it, it could come from the same maker, letters seem to be identical.

Anyway to use them, or should I dump it?

I have a pile of this vary same brass in SPP and I really hope there isn't an issue. In fact out of the brass I got the only SPP stuff was these two brands.

• 3 months later...

Never seen a blazer crimped. Only time I have an issue seating non crimped primer pockets are if the brass is moving around in the shell holder b4 seating. Just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

i thought I was dealing with crimped primers until I found this to be the problem.

• 3 weeks later...