Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reshoot negates bump to open?

38SuperDub

I'm BACCCCKKKKK

Ok - serious question here:

Production shooter shoots a stage that is unloaded start with 11 in the first mag - gets bumped to open. Later finds out he has to reshoot the stage due to completely wrong start position - gets put back in production. Anything that supports this one way or the other? If that shooter would have DQ'd on the stage but found out he was started wrong - he is still DQ'd.

Not picking on the person this happened to - but looked in the rule book and can't find the answer either way to support it.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10.1.4 does not apply--being moved to Open is not a procedural penalty, because the move to Open is covered under 6.2.5.1.

While I can't find anything that prohibits the move back, I think it's counter-intuitive to suggest that a competitor could be moved back to Production because he's been directed to reshoot the CoF where he bumped to Open. I also find no verbiage which supports a move from Open to the initial division, because the competitor only moves when he fails to prove he's in compliance with his division's requirements.

You weren't DQ'ed, which would mean you could not continue in the match. You could continue, just in open.

As to the reshoot issue...., no opinion. You (you?) did violate the requirements of production, so I would tend to think that still stands, but.... nah, no opinion.

As Frag316 mentioned, 6.2.5.1 supports a move to Open. I see nothing that says a COF to be reshot "never happened". As such, I don't see any reason they could be moved back from Open.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

I'd probably just say to the shooter "you just lucked out" and skip the move to Open. Only, however, if it was a shooter who didn't have a record of committing the original offence a number of times in the past.

Since when do RO's get to judge a shooter based on his past infractions. There was either a rule infraction or there wasn't. The shooter's past mistakes do not apply.

Edited by Ssanders224

I don't care really either way - just more about consistency - it needs to be ruled the same way every time from match to match.

I may write DNROI (I know what way he will rule since he helped make the original ruling) just to get an official ruling

Why do competitors get reshoots? Because there was some type of problem with a stage. Does the competitor get the same penalties on the subsequent run they earned on the first run? No. Why would this be any different.

Kent (Frag 3:16), is right.

A reshoot is a SECOND attempt at shooting a stage. It's not like the first attempt never happened. It is a SECOND attempt to shoot the stage, either mandatory, or at the shooter's option.

If the shooter refuses a mandatory reshoot, the stage is scored as a zero. (2.3.3.3)
If the shooter refuses an optional reshoot, then the previous score stands.

Either way, if they get bumped to Open because of an equipment violation, they stay in Open.

Bumping someone to Open is a complicated issue. If they are found shooting a gun that doesn't fit the division then it's pretty clear cut. But this particular situation doesn't refer to something that blatant.

6.5.2.1 states, in part, "...during a course of fire..." That means that once the infraction is observed, the rule has been violated. It doesn't matter if the stage is reshot or even if it was never finished due to an equipment malfunction. It's technically no different than if they were out there with the wrong gun.

The problem, for me, is that presumably this is a one time error, a mistake, a misunderstanding. Moving someone to open for this is a pretty drastic penalty. I know, that rules are rules are rules. I'm just saying that it's a bit heavy handed and that tends to make us want to give the guy a break. Particularly since I've seen this happen to shooters who didn't know better when there is an unloaded start.

Edited by Graham Smith

Why do competitors get reshoots? Because there was some type of problem with a stage. Does the competitor get the same penalties on the subsequent run they earned on the first run? No. Why would this be any different.

Because bumping someone to Open is not a penalty, (per se, although it will FEEL like it.)

A shooter is bumped to Open because of an advantage over the rest of the Production field, ie gun improvements, more mag capacity etc...

If the stage run in which the violation (advantage) occured no longer counts, then they (in this particular case) no longer have an advantage over the rest of the field.

If I foot fault on my first run, then re-shoot, my foot fault penalty is erased. Same principal.

A shooter is bumped to Open because of an advantage over the rest of the Production field, ie gun improvements, more mag capacity etc...

snip

No, a shooter is bumped to open because they failed to satisfy the the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire.

But that doesn't say anything about negating the bump - if I drop a gun while starting in a wrong start position - am I still DQ'd? See the other argument....

Yes, that's correct, Rule 6.2.6.

This is a good one. However, if you reshoot a COF, the last results are deleted as if it never happened, we don't keep them and say "Run 1, Run 2..." or whatever. It would seem that since that run did not count for score, that the subsequent run should put him back in Production.

snip

No, a shooter is bumped to open because they failed to satisfy the the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire.

Could be both...check out Appendix D4, 21 (failed equipment requirement which could be seen as an advantage) and 6.2.5.1 (Failed to satisfy equipment or other requirements of a division or it's unavailable)

Interesting conundrum and I agree it seems to be a grey area. I'd be interested to hear what NROI has to say about this one.

My first thought was you can't unring the bell, but as was pointed out in the example of a foot fault if for whatever reason the shooter is given a reshoot then the procedural goes away (provided they don't fault the line in the reshoot).