Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro custom 18.9's.. How are they running? Mag set up's?

chanman

If you have one have you put many rounds through it? Hows it doing?

Wondering how I should set up the mags? Dawson pads, but unsure of the spacers and spring changes?

I knew they re designed the new mags so will all para mag parts work?

Anyone tried STI mags in them?

T.i.a

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

STI 9mm 140's run perfect in my Pro Custom 18.9 with no changes at all. I use the modified catch in my 16.40 Limited and run STI 126's in that. Try to borrow a mag and see if it will work.

I was not able to run the Para mags after installing the higher mag catch on an old model P18-9.

The catch was not drop in, but I think it depends on the gun.

I had to squeeze the feed lips a bit to get them to drop free. New style SV mags are pretty tight.

I get more than 10 rounds without nosedives with the Para mags, so very happy now.

Edited by furyalecto

I picked one up recently, it functions without problem but I had pretty big issues with the finish and a mag well that would not tighten up and sent it back. The casting marks on mine were very noticeable, Para's CS looked it over and said they were within their tolerances, they sent it back with a loose mag well. I own several other Para's and, up until my interaction with their customer service, was always a fan but I am finished with them.

Yeah, the price is right, but It would be an on line purchase <from a store>, so it would be hard to return if it was a bad one. Well, not hard, but disappointing. It would be a current production pistol, so it would be interesting to see if it is any good.

Zack I picked mine up thurs. only 50 rds through it so far. but it is flawless so far

Congrats! Need to shoot it more though :)

I'm looking to pick one up. Whats the deal with the mags.....is it an issue of the factory PARA mags not being reliable or simply not being available for separate purchase yet?

Just now available or if they are none of us can seem to find them.

Here are some reviews of my Pro Custom 18.9 that I did on another forum:

I just received a new Pro Custom 18.9 tonight. Here are some quick observations. The gun looks great! Iron bond finish is very nice. Gun locks up tight. Feedramp looks somewhat polished. Magwell is tight on the frame. All safeties work.
Now for the niggles.. There are a few casting marks on the frame but about the same as my 90's para. Couple of small stain/blemishes in the finish on the slide (have to angle it in the light to see them). Some kind of wacky square barcode looking thing in front of the serial number (unsightly). Trigger kinda flops around and is loose. Trigger pull is mushy, heavy and breaks very late. Hammer may be slightly rubbing the slide as it falls. Fiber-optic rod is kind of small. Speaking of small, that skinny guiderod and flatwire spring. Where do you get an 8-9lb flatwire spring? All of this can be worked out except the barcode and blemish. This is going to be my 3gun pistol so a few matches with dumping it in the bucket and in and out of the holster and it'll have more blemishes... Lol. I was going to save up to build a custom STI but the prices on the paras had me put that down the road and jump in! At this price point its a great platform to build up. Here is a pic next to my 90's Para that was set up by Tommy Abernathy in NC. I'll get the 18.9 set up like it once I go to the range and see what it needs.

image_zpscf59d458.jpg

Range Report:

I just got back from the range where I put my first shots down range with the new 18.9 I picked up from CDNN. The pistol performed flawlessly. I shot a little over 250 rounds with 100 being run of the mill pmc and the rest my reloads. No malfunctions, no extraction or ejection problems. All brass wound up in a nice little pile. Slide locked back on the para mags when empty just as it should.

My first 20 or so rounds were a bit of a shocker. The target looked a bit like a shotgun was fired at it. I started to get worried when I couldn't get it to hold a group or kept chasing flyers around with the sight adjustment. Two things happened as I kept shooting. first, the groups shrank and it started shooting nice and tight groups. Next the mushy trigger firmed up. Well maybe a better way to explain it is the crunchiness from the series 80 parts smoothed out reveling a very crisp trigger break. I got to where I could stage the trigger after the initial take up which i'm thinking moves the series 80 parts. My 90's para had those immediately removed so I have no experience with what a series 80 trigger feels like. I ran the para mags with with the full 18 rounds with no trouble and the slide locked back empty every time.

I tried an Sti mag and it worked too. I did notice a quirk with the Sti mag. If I inserted an sti mag with the slide locked back and released the slide to charge a round, the slide would hang on the follower after the last round. It wouldn't lock back (which I knew it wouldn't) but it wouldn't close all the way either. The net result was the mag was pinned and wouldn't drop free. Now if you inserted a loaded mag with the slide closed and charged the gun by pulling and releasing the slide, everything went as expected with the gun shooting empty,the slide not locking back and the empty mag dropping free no problem.

I must admit I was expecting a bit of a fight to get the gun running right but I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it functioned and shot. I'm still getting it set up the way I want it with flat trigger and trigger job but it looks like the platform is solid. I'm sure my gunsmith who builds competition guns on Sti frames will have a few things to point out to me but so far I'm off to a very good start!!!!! Hats off to Para!

None of the older Mecgars and old Para mags will work in the pro custom to the best of my knowledge. The tubes are shorter. They would be fine if you don't run a Magwell. The difference between the STI mags and the Paras is the size of the hole that the mag catch locks into. The STI 's are much bigger and it allows the mag to move some and drop down a little with spring pressure on it. My two STI 140's have Dawson pads and follower/ spacers. They run 100% with no feed issues and drop free perfectly. I have another 140 tube that sticks and has to be pulled out. It looks like the tubes need to be tuned to the gun. I tried dawson pads on the stock mags (I have 5) and the rounds jam in the pad when you load more than 18. I think they are catching under the rib and being pinched in by the follower. I was going to try to figure that issue out but haven't yet. They are totally reliable with stock pads at 18 rounds. If the Para pro shop reopens, mags will be a non issue. All told, this is my new favorite pistol as it shoots awesome and feels great in my hand. I like the platform way more than a 2011 of which I've had a bunch.

post-49587-0-96580600-1419306757_thumb.jpost-49587-0-61681100-1419306782_thumb.jMy pro was waiting for me when i got home but to dark to shoot. The fit & finish is better then my spartan but not like my Edge or apeiro

The gun broker add # is 459660335 for the 21rd mags & 45868434 for 20rd mags . Tried my sti 40 mags the lock in will try a buddies 9 mags tomorrow.

What do you guys think about using his gun as the basis for an open gun for steel challenge? Obviously I'd need a new barrel, comp, red dot and mount but I would think those things should be readily available? I was thinking about it last night. If I bought another one of these and built it as an open gun I should be able to do that for a lot less than an STI Steelmaster and I could share magazines, etc between the two guns.

I have 5 older mags that i got with my 90's para that were pre-ban when all that was going on. I also have some from the 2000's after the ban. They are .40 cal mags so I'll never truly know if they function in the Pro Custom 18.90 but all will lock in and drop free with Dawson base pads. I have one with an old Arrendondo base pad that the magwell interferes with preventing it from locking. .My old Sti made para .40 mags will lock in and drop free too in the new 18.9. If I had to guess, at least in my gun, old Mags, old Sti para mags, new Para mags and new Sti (for Sti) would work in my particular example. I've never tried Megar mags...