Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just bought 8lbs of Promo (for .40 major?)

nitrohuck

NatchezSS has 8lb jugs of Promo in stock.

Just snagged one for myself, figured I would let the word out.

Wanted to probe around for people's opinions on shooting it in .40 Major since there is very little data covering Promo out there on the forums and manuals.

I know the common theme is "just use it as you would Red Dot", but I am just here to double and triple check before I go and start loading up any rounds and putting my otherwise immaculate face in potential danger.

The load books called for a start of 4.5grs Red Dot, working up to something like 5.0grs Max supposedly at 980fps with a 180 bullet @ 34k psi, that would certainly make Major and would make me a happy camper, but I am just looking for some more experience here from you out there who have tried it.

thanks in advance,

Will be primarily shooting my own 180gr lead cast bullets that I powder coat and size to .401"

Then for matches I use Xtreme 180 plated bullets.

I'd say about 80% Lead Powder coated and 20% Xtreme plated.

Edited by nitrohuck

If no one has any experience with this powder (I don't), but I had 8 lbs of it, I'd start to

experiment SLOWLY, with a chrono.

Your lead bullets may need less powder than the coated, so I'd start with the lead, but

then work up the coated bullets, separately, and just as carefully.

I'd try 3.5 grains, and fire just one for velocity - check primer - if that's okay, fire a few more.

Then work up very slowly, watching your OAL and primers.

Good luck. :cheers:

Promo is identical to Red Dot but lacks the consistent density that one always (except with Promo) sees in Canister Grade powders. I guess it also lacks the red dots.

For shotgun shooters the fact the volume for a given charge weight varies lot to lot means checking which bushing throws the right charge weight with every jug / lot as it will vary. For handgun shooters this means you will need to readjust your powder die lot to lot. This is why they don't sell 1 pounders.

You will find ample Red Dot data in older Alliant manuals. If you need some PM and I will email them.

And, if you're smart enough to not trust advice from some stranger on the internet, Alliant will verify the above :)

Edited by peterthefish

I shot some of the rounds that I posted above. I was unable to crono but plan to next weekend. I was very pleased with the accuracy. Shot 5 rounds at 15 yards and came up with a 3 round group of 1 inch with the last 2 touching each other about 1 inch below the first three. No smoke running the plated bullets. Recoil was a little more than my current load of 168PF. Also learned to check for a dead battery in your crono before loading it in the truck!

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news... I blew up my barrel...

Good news... it wasn't using Promo ;)

Thanks to Lee's "Pro" Auto disk, I got a squib round about 1" from my muzzle and my next round ruined the barrel, gun is actually fine other than that...

Once I'm back in action I plan on having fun loading up Promo minor and major loads.

I can help with the Minor loads. I use either a 180 gr lead or a 180 moly. 2.7 gr of Promo with a 180 lead went 715 fps out of a Glock 35. One thing that I have noticed with Promo is a very low SD. I use Promo in 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. All minor. OAL 1.140". in .40, 1.200" in 9mm and 1.250" in .45. I don't find it to be any dirtier than Clays or Solo 1000. I have 8 lbs of Clay Dot on the way. I suspect it will be about like Clays.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to crono some test rounds on a nice 80 degree afternoon

5 shot string 4.5 promo 180 extreme 1.190 oal = avg. 934 for 168pf

4.1 promo 180 extreme 1.190 oal = avg. 850 for 153 pf

I plan to load 50 rounds for further evaluation. so far it looks real promising.

Finally got to crono some test rounds on a nice 80 degree afternoon

5 shot string 4.5 promo 180 extreme 1.190 oal = avg. 934 for 168pf

4.1 promo 180 extreme 1.190 oal = avg. 850 for 153 pf

I plan to load 50 rounds for further evaluation. so far it looks real promising.

Awesome, glad to hear someone is making some headway with this powder. I also plan on using 180gr bullets so this info is very helpful.

How did it feel? Snappy? Managable? 5" barrel?

I am alllllmost out of my other powders and can't wait to start working with Promo, hoping this will be a good powder for dual use (major/minor).

Edited by nitrohuck

Hello: Promo in a shotgun is soft shooting but a little dirty. It is cheap so lots of guys use it. I like Red Dot better and Clay Dot or Extra Lite even better still for 12ga shotgun loads. I'll have to try Red Dot in my 45 to see how it works. For 40 I like Tite Group. Thanks, Eric

The load felt about the same as my current load using ramshot competition and has the same PF. The gun is a para with a brazos LW slide ,barsto bull 5" tungsten guide rod and 10.5 variable recoil spring with 15# main spring. It will be a while before I due any more testing due to my schedule but , so far it looks quite promising.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update to this thread:

I loaded my 180gr Xtremes over 4.5grs Promo and just shot my first match with it.

Haven't had a chance to chrono, but it's gotta be right around Major PF. Will update again when I hit the chrono.

The load worked fine for me, recoil manageable enough, zero pressure signs and I think I've got a go-to load once I chrono it and make sure it makes PF.

Just a quick update to this thread:

I loaded my 180gr Xtremes over 4.5grs Promo and just shot my first match with it.

Haven't had a chance to chrono, but it's gotta be right around Major PF. Will update again when I hit the chrono.

The load worked fine for me, recoil manageable enough, zero pressure signs and I think I've got a go-to load once I chrono it and make sure it makes PF.

It *should* make major. I'm using 4.5 of red dot and 180gr extremes and getting 172-175pf out of cz tacsport.

• 4 months later...

FWIW

Went and finally chrono'd my loads of 4.5grs Promo over 180gr Xtreme Bullets.

came in at about 932fps for a 168PF.

Now loading at ~4.6grs just to be sure I make PF.

probably over 8,000 rounds left in this jug of Promo so looks like I'm set for awhile,

I almost bought some promo but I was overweight on my powder order my buddy and I put in, and that was the one powder I was most unsure of; so I had to drop it from my order

I agree it seems very interesting, especially for the price. What I couldn't find data on was how it meters and how bulky it is, specifically how much case fill you get with the drop. I know it's a denser weight vs red dot, but having never used red dot before I have no point of reference. I like powders that give me at least 1/2 case fill give or take as I don't want a KABOOM from a double charge.

PS on the squib, could you tell when fired that it was a squib or no? I've never had a squib and worry about them :surprise:.

I did pick up some green dot which is a bit slower than promo and I thought more appropriate for 9mm/40SW that I'd primarily use it for. I've been very happy with American select which is a faster powder, so maybe I'm overthinking it too much :ph34r:

Edited by RandyLahey

Great! thx for that info. I'll pick some up next time I come across it :). For the $ I think it'll be hard to beat for plinking unless I really fall in love with green dot, which is about 20% more cost per 8lb jug. American select works well too FYI, but is more towards the green dot pricing.

Great! thx for that info. I'll pick some up next time I come across it :). For the $ I think it'll be hard to beat for plinking unless I really fall in love with green dot, which is about 20% more cost per 8lb jug. American select works well too FYI, but is more towards the green dot pricing.

I too have used AmSelect for .40 but only Minor... did you use it for Major? What was your charge over what kinda bullet?

AMSel was my goto powder for 9mm for awhile, I've hopped between that and red dot/promo depending on what I had on the shelf

I don't shoot competition yet. I think I had 4.4-4.6gr or so of the american select over a 165gr xtreme rnfp bullet and it seemed to shoot well. Was just a plinking load, until my powder order came in. I'll now use green dot at about the same weight and work up a bit. I'm also going to try 180gr xtreme, BBI, and some cast lead 180 to see what the gun likes.

I too like AS for 9mm, shoots softish and fairly clean.

Edited by RandyLahey