Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

limited build barrel ?

Revofan

im looking into getting a limited 9mm built for steel and not sure what barrel to use i know im going with a bull barrel leaning torwards schuemann or SV my gunsmith suggested a kart ? being my first build moving on from being a glock shooter just looking for some guidance

At one time, it was my belief that the AMU used Kart in their guns. Based on that, I had Tripp build my SS with a Kart barrel. It is an excellent barrel.

Based on actual testing with Taran, my Kart was faster than his Schuemann. The SV barrel is based on Schuemann barrel.

All that said, I am not sure if Kart makes a bull barrel. I have a Nowlin bull barrel in my limited gun and it is scary accurate.

I've had schuemann's in two guns and a SV in a third. They have all been more accurate than me and have worked very well. I tend to prefer the Wilson/Nowlin barrel cut so I bought a Schuemann for my latest build.

I have four 1911/2011's with Kart barrels and have been very happy with the results. However, 3 of the four have had to have the feed ramps tuned to feed reliably.

My gunsmith is now recommending KKM for any future builds since none of the guns he's built using KKM have required any tuning other than the usually fitting. Accuracy is on par with Kart.

My new 5.5" and my back up gun both have STI barrels in them. Both are capable of extremely good accuracy. I had a Schuemann in my old 6" and while accurate I can say accuracy was about equal or maybe a little less accurate than my two current guns. I think with barrels in the same approximate price range barrel fitting will be the deciding factor with accuracy.

Kart does not make bull barrels. Period. I have 6-inch Kart bushing barrel in the limited gun I just completed. It is very accurate with lead bullets, which is the projectile Karts built their reputation on in the Bullseye world.

I have a Bar-Sto bull barrel that will go into my next build and it looks fine but the bore does not compare to the Kart to my eyes.

Edited by lawboy

The reason the Bar-Sto bore finish is not as nice looking as the Kart is because the Bar-Sto is button cut rifled and the Kart is ECM. As for which barrel to choose, I would go with Nowlin for ECM or Bar-Sto for button cut. Both are top quality and both will shoot half inch at 25 yards.

The reason the Bar-Sto bore finish is not as nice looking as the Kart is because the Bar-Sto is button cut rifled and the Kart is ECM. As for which barrel to choose, I would go with Nowlin for ECM or Bar-Sto for button cut. Both are top quality and both will shoot half inch at 25 yards.

That sounds right. I did not mean to imply that the Bar-Sto is less quality or less accurate. I am sure it is top quality. I was just saying that the Kart shoots LIGHTS OUT and is shiny inside. :) What's not to like about that?

No doubt Kart makes good barrels. When it comes to barrel choice, the main thing to me is that the specs are what they're supposed to be and quality is consistent from one barrel to the next. Most of the big name manufacturers have that down pretty good. If you pick from a reputable source, I'd say barrel fit is about 90% of the equation and choice of manufacturer is about 10%.

No doubt Kart makes good barrels. When it comes to barrel choice, the main thing to me is that the specs are what they're supposed to be and quality is consistent from one barrel to the next. Most of the big name manufacturers have that down pretty good. If you pick from a reputable source, I'd say barrel fit is about 90% of the equation and choice of manufacturer is about 10%.

That sounds about right also.