Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power in the US: best time to purchase?

You are preaching in the desert...because you're only right IF you want a black front sight.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000186D-1388518386

There are plenty of sight height options if you want a fiber front.

Condemning an entire product line without looking at the entire picture is bad form bud.

I bought the fiber optic front sight from Dawson, not the blank one. It dropped the aim. I then thought "Hmmm... Ok... Maybe I need to get the rear sight as well..." So I did and it went worse.

It is not a good product. Even with the sight covering the bulls eye, it still drops. You end up having to align the dot with the top of the rear sight, AND cover the bulls eye to hit it.

Please, do not believe me, buy their sight for the K100/GP6. Please, go ahead. I am done trying.

So, you bought the wrong size front sight and you're blaming it on Dawson?

Did you group the gun with the factory front sight? If so, was it POA/POI? Dot or tip of blade?

Did you buy the SAME height as factory front sight from Dawson? After the install it changed your POI with the dimensions being the same?

IF that is the case then yes, there is an issue. If you bought a different height front sight then you need to stop calling the Dawson product poorly designed...

You really should clear this up as you're disparaging a retailer/manufacturer and your posts are REALLY confusing as you DIDNT link to the sight you supposedly bought...

I bought the only fiber optic available. It was not well designed as it drops the aim. If you have your slide machined, then maybe sinking a Bomar in your slide will help fix it.

The fiber optic that I bought cannot be found anymore on their web site and there was only one available height, it was the same in design as the blank front sight.

This is why the X-Calibur is such a great gun.

Again: do what you want, be happy. I am only trying to help.

Edited by NicVerAZ

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of modding and ruining a good thing in search of a perfect -- I've done that.

My thumb cannot reach the mag release button without breaking the grip so after I've tried the lever mag release at the factory I bought it on the spot.

Once I got home, I've messed up the install, despite taking a video of how it's done by the GP gunsmith. Caused me a lot of problems with the magazines which I couldn't pinpoint to the mag release. Even when I realized what was wrong it took me 2 or 3 attempts to get it installed correctly. So for my next GP gun I'll try my best to have it ordered with the lever release from the factory.

Do you have a photo of the lever mag release? I am interested.

I am still not the biggest fan of the release button. I find that the more pressure there is (meaning the more rounds left in the magazine), the stronger you have to push.

The GP6/MK7 release button was not as hard. Reversely, I dropped a few mags at the wrong time as a result.

There has to be a just middle.

The lever release is for the Mk6 or Mk7. It's not made for the Mk12. It uses a longer trigger guard tube with stops for the lever. If you install the tube wrong you wind up with the mag catch not extending fully and your mags dropping out.

You are preaching in the desert...because you're only right IF you want a black front sight.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000186D-1388518386

There are plenty of sight height options if you want a fiber front.

Condemning an entire product line without looking at the entire picture is bad form bud.

I bought the fiber optic front sight from Dawson, not the blank one. It dropped the aim. I then thought "Hmmm... Ok... Maybe I need to get the rear sight as well..." So I did and it went worse.

It is not a good product. Even with the sight covering the bulls eye, it still drops. You end up having to align the dot with the top of the rear sight, AND cover the bulls eye to hit it.

Please, do not believe me, buy their sight for the K100/GP6. Please, go ahead. I am done trying.

So, you bought the wrong size front sight and you're blaming it on Dawson?

Did you group the gun with the factory front sight? If so, was it POA/POI? Dot or tip of blade?

Did you buy the SAME height as factory front sight from Dawson? After the install it changed your POI with the dimensions being the same?

IF that is the case then yes, there is an issue. If you bought a different height front sight then you need to stop calling the Dawson product poorly designed...

You really should clear this up as you're disparaging a retailer/manufacturer and your posts are REALLY confusing as you DIDNT link to the sight you supposedly bought...

I bought the only fiber optic available. It was not well designed as it drops the aim. If you have your slide machined, then maybe sinking a Bomar in your slide will help fix it.

The fiber optic that I bought cannot be found anymore on their web site and there was only one available height, it was the same in design as the blank front sight.

This is why the X-Calibur is such a great gun.

Again: do what you want, be happy. I am only trying to help.

So...at the time, you bought something that didnt work for you for whatever reason. Do you have measurements of both sights? How did it change your POI? How much of a deviation?

Dawson offers different sight heights now so you have other options to tune your POI to your load.

Your findings are hardly worth a condemnation of an entire product line, especially considering this phantom product you speak of no longer exists.

I have a Dawson fiber optic front sight on my Trojan and I love it. It is a well designed product.

I have a Dawson fiber optic on my K100. It is not a well designed product.

Do not purchase one: it will drop your aim and, without any possibility to adjust elevation, you will experience issues.

By now you should know that I am fair in my assessments and always correct myself when I realize I was wrong.

So when I give thumbs up to a product like Mr King's holsters, you know damn well it is a good product.

When I give thumbs down to the fiber optic front site Dawson designed for the K100, that means it is really not a good product.

Instead I advise you to contact Eagle Imports or even GP in Slovakia directly and see what they offer.

Holy crap...

Im going to let this one go. Either you dont understand how you adjust elevation/POI with a different height front sight or we are losing something across the span of the interwebs...

I have the .140 Dawson front with the .230 rear on my P1 and it works fine.

The issue is that Dawson states that their rear sight (available in only one height) requires a .180 front, which is flat wrong. I know of no options that would work with their .180 or .195 fronts, unless maybe STI offered some really tall rear sights (I know I remember seeing stuff besides the basic rounded rear GP sight).

The .140 or .150 is going to be what you want.

I picked up my K100 today. It's an amazing gun for $299. Decent DA (I shoot CZC Shadows) and a very good SA with a very short reset.

I'll shoot it this weekend.

I bought it out of curiousity, to mess with polishing internals and a car gun.

I look forward to changing out some springs and lightening things up even more

I'm very impressed.

I picked up my K100 today. It's an amazing gun for $299. Decent DA (I shoot CZC Shadows) and a very good SA with a very short reset.

I'm very impressed.

Did you get it from J&G or is there another source at that price?

I'm very impressed.

Did you get it from J&G or is there another source at that price?

J&G

Sweet! Hey, r0kawn, is that the Springer GP6 grip tape on your X Cal?

It surely is. I took this pic the day I picked up the P1 last week. Since then, I've also added the same tape to it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neato.

I stumbled upon an xcal today on Gunbroker and snatched it up.

I should hopefully have it next week! Now to find a holster for this thing.

Try www.redhilltraining.net

I bought one of his holsters for my X-Cal and it's great.

Neato.

Yep, there should be plenty with this order and another shipping shortly. The importer also got in a healthy assortment of spare parts for those that like to tinker.

Neato.

Yep, there should be plenty with this order and another shipping shortly. The importer also got in a healthy assortment of spare parts for those that like to tinker.

Is there a source for a narrower front fiber optic sight? The current one is a bit wide in comparison to the rear notch for my tastes.

Neato.

Is there a source for a narrower front fiber optic sight? The current one is a bit wide in comparison to the rear notch for my tastes.

Read back a few pages.

Dawson Precision.

Neato.

Read back a few pages.

Dawson Precision.

It is indeed narrower than stock, but I agree with Tyler if he wants a .090 front sight with a 1mm FO.

If your focus is on the target, narrow front sight is what you want. The more daylight, the better.

Neato.

Read back a few pages.

Dawson Precision.

Maybe I missed it, but all I saw were several pages of bickering over the Dawson sight for a GP6/K100. Does the X-Cal use the same sight?