Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power in the US: best time to purchase?

Speaking of modding and ruining a good thing in search of a perfect -- I've done that.

My thumb cannot reach the mag release button without breaking the grip so after I've tried the lever mag release at the factory I bought it on the spot.

Once I got home, I've messed up the install, despite taking a video of how it's done by the GP gunsmith. Caused me a lot of problems with the magazines which I couldn't pinpoint to the mag release. Even when I realized what was wrong it took me 2 or 3 attempts to get it installed correctly. So for my next GP gun I'll try my best to have it ordered with the lever release from the factory.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, the Q100 (striker-fired with external safeties) has been announced at IWA. Who's getting one?

Not me. Seems to be a cop gun. Not really competition minded.

While we don't exclude the interest of the sporting market, the striker fired guns are designed around police and military end users. That said, the trigger on the pre production sample is so light and smooth I'm curious to see what the public think down the road. ?

Anyone have anymore info on this?

Pictures, etc? I scoured the web but its probably too soon after IWA for anything to actually show up.

Expect pictures shortly on the website. For the US, we have to ride out the ATF approval process. The rest of the world may have them a heck of a lot earlier than I initially thought. ?

Got my k100 mk7 today.

Pretty impressed overall seems like a lot of gun for the money. Feels very strong and we'll built for its light weight, very low felt recoil and I'm used to shooting a cz tactical sport with the same load, decent trigger, seems to be accurate.

Negatives so far, sights hit about 4" left at 10 yards out of the box.

The included mag will not drop free and does not seat well. I got 4 extras from jg that all work perfect, the one that doesn't drop is the only one with a black follower.

Stripping it down and putting it back together had me cursing the first time but I did it a few more times with less trouble. Still the worst procedure I've seen.

Got my k100 mk7 today.

Pretty impressed overall seems like a lot of gun for the money. Feels very strong and we'll built for its light weight, very low felt recoil and I'm used to shooting a cz tactical sport with the same load, decent trigger, seems to be accurate.

Negatives so far, sights hit about 4" left at 10 yards out of the box.

The included mag will not drop free and does not seat well. I got 4 extras from jg that all work perfect, the one that doesn't drop is the only one with a black follower.

Stripping it down and putting it back together had me cursing the first time but I did it a few more times with less trouble. Still the worst procedure I've seen.

Windage can be adjusted, even if not very easily. Elevation can't. By the way, don't spend one dime on the Dawson sights, they are poorly designed and will cause a dramatic drop.

Buy 6 magazines from JG Sales right away and keep them for when you upgrade to the X-Calibur, because you will, eventually.

The take down on the MK7 is bizarre but here is the proper order of operation to make it easy:

1. Slide upside down, insert the barrel

2. Make sure the barrel is pushed all the way forward and keep it this way

3. Put the recoil spring on the guide

4. Keeping the barrel upside down, flip the receiver with the grips upwards

5. Insert the receiver into the silde, spring first.

6. Still holding the gun upside down, hold onto the slide and make it recoil

7. Reinsert the trigger guard into the slot in the receiver

The MK12 is similar but the takedown mechanism is much, much simpler than that and also less prone to damage.

Edited by NicVerAZ

http://www.evike.com/products/51927/

Airsoft version. I ordered mine

This may be a good find and may help supplement part of your training regimen. I know some folks who are heavy on the airsoft training, such as Eric Grauffel or Muneki Samejima.

You basically need to dedicate a room for that purpose and use some sort of rubberized drapes as a back drop. I'm considering buying one as well, if not just because I am a fan of everything Grand Power.

just sheets a few inches off the walls at the most regular drapes I would think would work for the back stop. just enough to really slow it down.

So now i can play in limited with my X-trim and not be totally at a loss.

I know that Eagle will be importing 20 round mags at some point, but I am impatient ... and cheap/poor.

https://youtu.be/EQv08pAbWQA

Nick,

What exactly is wrong with the Dawson sights?

They drop your aim. They were not designed properly and I strongly advise against using them. If anything, get a Bomar cut in the slide for E/W adjustment and then, maybe, use the Dawson or even better the Grand Power fiber optic front sight.

Nick,

They drop your aim. They were not designed properly and I strongly advise against using them. If anything, get a Bomar cut in the slide for E/W adjustment and then, maybe, use the Dawson or even better the Grand Power fiber optic front sight.

Im not following you.

Dawson offers multiple heights so that you can adjust your POI...

Are you saying the Dawson sights mechanically affect the gun to cause it to shoot low???

Nick,

Im not following you.

Dawson offers multiple heights so that you can adjust your POI...

Are you saying the Dawson sights mechanically affect the gun to cause it to shoot low???

There is only one height:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001868-1388518386

They have several WIDTH, yes.

Trust me on that one, unless you want to hire a gunsmith to machine your slide to adapt a new rear sight with accurate elevation and windage adjustment, I do not recommend using the Dawson front sight. Even with their rear sight.

I've said it several times but it seems I'm preaching in the desert.

Just to be fair: this only concerns the GP6/K100.

Edited by NicVerAZ

You are preaching in the desert...because you're only right IF you want a black front sight.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000186D-1388518386

There are plenty of sight height options if you want a fiber front.

Condemning an entire product line without looking at the entire picture is bad form bud.

You are preaching in the desert...because you're only right IF you want a black front sight.

Condemning an entire product line without looking at the entire picture is bad form bud.

I bought the fiber optic front sight from Dawson, not the blank one. It dropped the aim. I then thought "Hmmm... Ok... Maybe I need to get the rear sight as well..." So I did and it went worse.

It is not a good product. Even with the sight covering the bulls eye, it still drops. You end up having to align the dot with the top of the rear sight, AND cover the bulls eye to hit it.

Please, do not believe me, buy their sight for the K100/GP6. Please, go ahead. I am done trying.

I just got a K100 mk7 from J&G to try out Grand Power and shot it briefly for the first time last night. I'm a novice shooter, but thought it shot well. I noticed that muzzle flip was very minimal. I have no real experience with hammer fired guns so can't really comment usefully on the trigger. In SA it's not dramatically different from my PPQ's trigger once staged--probably just a bit heavier and a bit more creep. I shot very tight groups of 2-3 (holes touching at 10yrds), but couldn't get past 3 without a 3"+ flier. Not sure if it's me or the gun--most likely me (shooting free hand). At the same distance I can put all (15rnd mag) in the center red circle of the small splatter targets with my ppq.

The mag drops free, POI and POA are about the same, ran 75rnds through it without a hitch (only had a few minutes between work and a work dinner so time-limited there). Mine is is a recall serial number but had the barrel replaced prior to being sold. Aparently that's what comprises J&G's current inventory.

Grip feels hard and slippery. Not disastrously so, but enough that I'll probably do something to make it more grippy.

I managed take-down without much struggle but found getting the slide on very awkward. Will try the upside down method suggested here next time.

I just got a K100 mk7 from J&G to try out Grand Power and shot it briefly for the first time last night. I'm a novice shooter, but thought it shot well. I noticed that muzzle flip was very minimal. I have no real experience with hammer fired guns so can't really comment usefully on the trigger. In SA it's not dramatically different from my PPQ's trigger once staged--probably just a bit heavier and a bit more creep. I shot very tight groups of 2-3 (holes touching at 10yrds), but couldn't get past 3 without a 3"+ flier. Not sure if it's me or the gun--most likely me (shooting free hand). At the same distance I can put all (15rnd mag) in the center red circle of the small splatter targets with my ppq.

The mag drops free, POI and POA are about the same, ran 75rnds through it without a hitch (only had a few minutes between work and a work dinner so time-limited there). Mine is is a recall serial number but had the barrel replaced prior to being sold. Aparently that's what comprises J&G's current inventory.

Grip feels hard and slippery. Not disastrously so, but enough that I'll probably do something to make it more grippy.

I managed take-down without much struggle but found getting the slide on very awkward. Will try the upside down method suggested here next time.

Yes, the upside down method is what works best because you really want the barrel all the way in and with the flat parts (that of the barrel and that inside the slide) against each others. This is very important, as the rolling pin has to meet the bottom section of the barrel in the proper position. Once you have figured this out, you're golden. It takes me less than 5 seconds to reassemble my X-Calibur.

It seems the PPQ also gets a lot of good reviews but I am not really sure I like the preformed grips. As for the K100 grips, there are 4 options delivered with the gun. I am personally stuck with the 3rd fattest because this is what the GP6 used to be delivered with and I am used to that geometry now.

For the slippery aspect, refer to Springer Precision's web site as he has specifically designed grip tape available. I personally like to use the 3M tread tape, I cut strips and customize my grips this way. It's very aggressive and cheap.

Great buy, you cannot go wrong for $300.

Edited by NicVerAZ

I bought the fiber optic front sight from Dawson, not the blank one. It dropped the aim. I then thought "Hmmm... Ok... Maybe I need to get the rear sight as well..." So I did and it went worse.

It is not a good product. Even with the sight covering the bulls eye, it still drops. You end up having to align the dot with the top of the rear sight, AND cover the bulls eye to hit it.

Please, do not believe me, buy their sight for the K100/GP6. Please, go ahead. I am done trying.

So, you bought the wrong size front sight and you're blaming it on Dawson?

Did you group the gun with the factory front sight? If so, was it POA/POI? Dot or tip of blade?

Did you buy the SAME height as factory front sight from Dawson? After the install it changed your POI with the dimensions being the same?

IF that is the case then yes, there is an issue. If you bought a different height front sight then you need to stop calling the Dawson product poorly designed...

You really should clear this up as you're disparaging a retailer/manufacturer and your posts are REALLY confusing as you DIDNT link to the sight you supposedly bought...

this is my own personal experience with my gun and mimics NickAZ. i think it might be gun dependant though, if you get a low shooting one the ,180 that Dawson reccomends with the rear sight will shoot low 2-4 inches with the dot as the impact point. . its better with 147 and worse with 124. the cure is to replace it with the .140 which will leave you with a nub front sight due to the pad that is part of the sight. The best way to figure out what your gun does is to shoot it. if you look under the foam in the case there is a extra shorter front sight that is about .040 shorter than the one that came on the gun. So that tell me they know that there are issues with it.

I liken this to Glocks traditionally shooting high out of the box.

Some guns LOVE the .215 front sight and some need a .235 or .245 front to bring the POI down.

The best course of action is always to group the gun with the factory sights, measure your factory front and then buy accordingly.

Yes, the upside down method is what works best because you really want the barrel all the way in and with the flat parts (that of the barrel and that inside the slide) against each others. This is very important, as the rolling pin has to meet the bottom section of the barrel in the proper position. Once you have figured this out, you're golden. It takes me less than 5 seconds to reassemble my X-Calibur.

It seems the PPQ also gets a lot of good reviews but I am not really sure I like the preformed grips. As for the K100 grips, there are 4 options delivered with the gun. I am personally stuck with the 3rd fattest because this is what the GP6 used to be delivered with and I am used to that geometry now.

For the slippery aspect, refer to Springer Precision's web site as he has specifically designed grip tape available. I personally like to use the 3M tread tape, I cut strips and customize my grips this way. It's very aggressive and cheap.

Great buy, you cannot go wrong for $300.

Nice thanks, will definitely try that method of putting it back together and will check out those grip options. The PPQ preformed grips fit my hand well. I used the medium (the one it ships with) and felt it was perfect for quite a while. A few weeks ago I put the small on for my wife and found I liked that just fine as well so now that stays on. I have the small on the K100 right now and like it pretty well. I'll try the others too. I have medium sized hands but tend to prefer a small grip. The K100 is certainly amazing for the price! I'd love to try out an X-Calibur sometime, great looking gun!