Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long do you keep your Limited 2011s

blaster113

Just trying to see if I'm the only one that has the urge to keep changing guns. I've been keeping my Limited guns on average about 2 years before selling them cause I want to try something new. And also to have a new gun in the holster haha. Do you guys shoot them for a while then try something else, run them till they fall apart, or just keep them and continually tinker and upgrade.

interesting.

i was wondering how they lasts ( svi's, sti's and such...) . do they fall apart over couple years of shooting matches every week ends or they're good for a life time conditional to having to swap internals-barrels on a regular basis....i figure out frames-slides must be good to go for years and years.

i'm shooting glocks exclusively so i'm in unknown territory ,but i'm slowly taking the 2011 direction making my mind along the way lolll.

I know one of one shooter that has both SVI and STI. According to him, the biggest difference between the two (besides cost), is that the SVI frame is on its third or forth rebuild (using STI parts) but the STI frame has developed a fatal crack at the end of its third rebuild. He uses STI parts for his SVI rebuilds because in his words, there's no difference in performance, just cost. Seeing as he's a GM, I'll take his word.

Edit: He gets about 60k rounds between rebuilds. YMMV

Edited by v1911

I know one of one shooter that has both SVI and STI. According to him, the biggest difference between the two (besides cost), is that the SVI frame is on its third or forth rebuild (using STI parts) but the STI frame has developed a fatal crack at the end of its third rebuild. He uses STI parts for his SVI rebuilds because in his words, there's no difference in performance, just cost. Seeing as he's a GM, I'll take his word.

Edit: He gets about 60k rounds between rebuilds. YMMV

3 rebuilds and close to 200k rounds later, I'd want a new gun just to have a new gun ?

I have one I got in a 2 gun buy that I'd love to sell and sell cheap. It literally has had 50 rounds through it. I received it in a two gun buy. I want a CZ SP01 from CZ custom and I'd love to use the money from this STI 2011 40 S&W for it.

I have one I got in a 2 gun buy that I'd love to sell and sell cheap. It literally has had 50 rounds through it. I received it in a two gun buy. I want a CZ SP01 from CZ custom and I'd love to use the money from this STI 2011 40 S&W for it.

Try posting in classified.

Try posting in classified.

He doesn't have enough posts to do that.

I'm with Pete, shoot it til it won't anymore. Just like my 4-Runner. You can make mods to an existing gun. No idea how many rounds Stefan Wiggins put through the 6" .40 that I have now, but I can assure you it was a bunch and I've added at least another 7-8K since I got it from him.

Edited by wgj3

for me running it till it dies means the cost of repairs will make it more cost effective to just buy a new pistol and the gun is no longer consistently reliable. My Limited guns have lightened slides; once a slide cracks then its a major bill to have a new one fit, lightened, and refinished. For me that's a major expenditure that I'd like to avoid on an old gun..

A rebuild would mean having new internals fit, slide replaced, etc. Changing small parts that wear out or break are not a problem.

I've made quite a few changes in pistols the last few years, but for now I've settled on 5.4" Sightrackers. I've got one and a stainless version on the way. I figure I will be shooting these two pistols for the next 10 years at least.

As far as wear goes, my 6" gun has about 17K rounds through it and the only part that has broken is the extractor hook. It's still very tight and the TiN coating doesn't show any wear at all.

Edited by SV-COP