Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good sight pusher for M&P pistols?

Used the Fisher the past two nights. Its alright. My sights came off easy. If you had some tight ones I can see where youd either want a more traditional pusher or mount this one in a vice

I found myself using bits of leather and plastic to give me the right heights. Even then the slide was twisty and not sitting square.

Might have been user error? I was working pretty quickly. I dont regret buying it but im not wildly impressed with it either.

I'm trying to look up the sight pusher I like, but it's a $600 universal one that comes with various inserts for various pistols. It's out of a gunsmith's shop, so needing to do it for like every gun is a consideration.

Don't bother with the $50 eBay specials. The blocks are made of aluminum and the screws are galvanized Home Depot stuff.

• 2 months later...

this will do just about anything.

Nice setup.

Never had a problem with a good vice, punches and hammer

+1

I gave up on sight pushers. You cannot make as fine as an adjustment as you can with a punch. You have to build so much pressure to overcome the friction in the dovetail that it usually overshoots the adjustment you're trying for.

Even night sights generally have a spot where you can tap on them with a punch with no damage. Use an aluminum punch to make the adjustment and take the aluminum smudge off with a little piece of kratex.

I have the FIsher unit. It works well and the price can't be beat. It worked for both front and rear sights on my M&P pros and for rear sights on my Glocks. The "tab" that pushes the sights chipped off when I tried it on my Shield. I cleaned it up with a file and had to make a step to have a flat surface again. It still works for my other pistols, but I had to break out the big hammer and punch for the Shield.

I wouldn't even try it on an XD. I don't know what is used to install those sights, but My XD's were the biggest PIA to change sights. Heat, cold, small hammer, big hammer, all were used to change my XD sights. The aftermarket sights installed easily and the sight pusher worked fine.

Nice setup.

+1

I gave up on sight pushers. You cannot make as fine as an adjustment as you can with a punch. You have to build so much pressure to overcome the friction in the dovetail that it usually overshoots the adjustment you're trying for.

Even night sights generally have a spot where you can tap on them with a punch with no damage. Use an aluminum punch to make the adjustment and take the aluminum smudge off with a little piece of kratex.

I put my M&P's front sight back in place with a brass punch and a vice with newspaper on the jaws. The world didn't explode like I thought it would :D Maybe I'll finally fit some Dawsons this winter after all.

Nice setup.

+1

I put my M&P's front sight back in place with a brass punch and a vice with newspaper on the jaws. The world didn't explode like I thought it would :D Maybe I'll finally fit some Dawsons this winter after all.

I line my vise with aluminum angle iron as soft jaws. Sometimes this leaves an aluminum smear on the part, so I line the aluminum with business cards when I do sights.

• 5 months later...

for the guys that are using the B&J P500, what's the variety of guns look like? And are you running the P500 or P500 Pro? I've been looking into getting a sight pusher and just wanted to see if y'all have run into a gun that it hasn't worked well on. looking to use it on Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, EAA, 1911s. Thanks in advance

I use the P500 and the 2 guns that give me the most grief are the SIG's, really hard set, and the M&P's. The shape of their slide makes shimming difficult but doable.

The tool is good, I've had mine for 14 years or there abouts.