Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rio Shot Shell

dhunt91

Has anyone tried the Rio #7.5, 2 3/4 inch and 2 3/4 dram 1 and 1/8 oz shells for 3 gun? gander had a sale yesterday and i picked up 150 rounds to try. I shoot my first 3 gun match in 3 weeks so wondering if i need to find something else?

Edited by dhunt91

I ran them in my Stoeger M3000 at a 3-Gun match yesterday. They worked perfectly! I was using the 2 3/4 dram 1/1/8 OZ #8 Target Load running at 1150 fps. these were very soft shooting. made it very easy to transition from target to target. I Havent tried them in a gas gun yet.

Hope this helps.

I use the 1-1/8 oz #7.5 1150 fps stuff out of my Supernova. Rarely, the rims are fat and the bolt can't go back into battery. Also, for some reason I hit fewer aerials on the 16y line with them, but whether it patterns differently or less consistently I don't know.

Mid 1980s I was out of school, had my first good job with a little spare change (and spare time), and was looking for something, anything, to shoot! The local gun club shot Trap every Friday night so I took up Trap shooting. Picked up a trap grade 1100 and a few cases of Winchester AA shells to get started. 22-23 out of 25 came easily enough and I thought I was on my way. I was also going broke buying those AA shells at a whopping $5 per box. When the later summer dove season promo shells hit the local Wal~Mart for $3 or so a box I thought things were looking up for the bank account again. The next Friday night I was struggling to hit 15 out of 25 and wondered what kind of slump I was in, next Friday the same thing. One of the old timers asked what was up, then noticed the shells I was using, We cut open a shell and looked at the cardboard wad, plastic wrapper and soft shot and he explained what was happening with the (lack of) pattern. Back to AA shells and the broken targets returned.

The point is …today’s cheap shells are better than cheap shells of yesteryear, but there is still a reason they are cheaper.

• 3 months later...

Wildly varying quality from one lot to the next. Sometimes they run in Stoegers and Benellis, and then the next batch you get 10 ejection failures out of a box. Marginal in inertia guns, I have no experience running them in gas guns. From previous posts it looks about the same for them. Cheapest shells I will run in a real match are Federal 100rd boxes, 1-1/8oz 1200fps #7-1/2 or 8 shot. I agree about running good stuff at the majors though. I use club matches purely for training and trying new gear, so I don't care about the occasional hiccup.

• 2 weeks later...