Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai vs. Infinity (svi)

jstagn

Over the course of the last 10 years I have owned/own pistols built by every major builder out there, including SVI. They have all been great guns but no modification (i.e.-stroking) is going to make you a better shooter. Proper instruction and/or practice is going to do this. Buy a used gun or have a custom gun built, spend the rest on ammo and head out to the range.

That video has absolutely nothing to do with the OP post. Waste of time. Shay builds awesome guns, really. But Infinity guns are in a class by themselves. StraightUp_OG has it right.

I have nothing against Shay. Just wanted to show him that because he mentioned it on his post.

That video shows the creators complete lack of understanding of physics. I will say he does give a pretty nice history of how stroking started.

Shay builds a nice gun but if money and time were not in play (must be nice) I would be shooting an SV. As both money and time are in play I shoot an Akai.

What if I am getting a gun built by an SVI distributor who uses all SVI parts including SVI frames and AET barrels...

What is it?

If Infinity sells your distributor frames, they have a lot of trust in them. Kodiak Precision is about the only one I know of in the US, but there may be others.

That is a pretty bold statement to make, if that is indeed what people are asserting. Also "best" is very subjective. My criteria for best may be different than someone else's.

Is an SV frame superior to a PT or STI frame?

If you don't need the interchangeable breech face, is an SV slide "better" than a Caspian?

I've had communication with both Brandon and Shay and both seem very knowledgable and put out a great product.

If you are a big fan of a bar stock, all in house manufactured custom you have one choice.

If you are after a pistol with all the race built in it you can get, excellent accuracy, function etc you have choices.

If you are a big fan of a bar stock, all in house manufactured custom you have one choice.

If you are after a pistol with all the race built in it you can get, excellent accuracy, function etc you have choices.

Pretty much how I see it too.

Owning an SVI requires a commitment to "price is no object". Everything you buy from Infinity will cost more. I recently took mine apart to clean it at 20,000 rounds. The quality of every part is impressive. I don't doubt it will last a long time and many 10s of thousands more rounds. It will not improve your points per second. Maybe a little from the psychological boost. If you are looking at any of the top builders you can't go wrong.

That is a pretty bold statement to make, if that is indeed what people are asserting. Also "best" is very subjective. My criteria for best may be different than someone else's.

Is an SV frame superior to a PT or STI frame?

If you don't need the interchangeable breech face, is an SV slide "better" than a Caspian?

I've had communication with both Brandon and Shay and both seem very knowledgable and put out a great product.

Mike I definitely wasn't making a statement, I was asking the question because I always struggle understanding why "People say there is nothing like an SVI" to me parts are parts and some are better than others but to me they either have better parts or the "best" gunsmith in the world that makes the SVI stand above all others.

So my question is always is it the parts or the guy putting them together that makes them what they are?

An SVI is made by SVI. If a smith builds a gun using SVI parts it is not an SVI.

My Limited guns are from SVI and the quality is second to none, I am a big fan.

Two local shooters have Akai Open guns and they look and run great. The design, fit, and finish looks to be very good. I have not had a chance to shoot one but would love to.

I have shot several IMM Open Guns and they are awesome! I don't think it can get much better.

I don't think you could go wrong with either a SVI or an Akai gun.

EG

Brandon and Sandy will tell you they are not gunsmiths, they are engineers and are extremely proud of that fact.....

That is interesting and good to know. I definitely don't have a horse in this race just trying to get educated so thank you

What if I am getting a gun built by an SVI distributor who uses all SVI parts including SVI frames and AET barrels...

What is it?

If Infinity sells your distributor frames, they have a lot of trust in them. Kodiak Precision is about the only one I know of in the US, but there may be others.

I am in Australia, our distributor has spent time with Sandy & Brandon and been trained by them.

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of being able to buy guns built by SVI :(

I would say SV is like a Rolls Royce (Premium) and Shea Akai is a master tradesman that builds F1 race cars. I am about a month out on my Akai to arrive... Can't wait. The build should only take about 6weeks since timing worked out on an abandoned build I picked up and was able to make the build changes I wanted. I couldn't wait the 12 months for SV

I would say SV is like a Rolls Royce (Premium) and Shea Akai is a master tradesman that builds F1 race cars. I am about a month out on my Akai to arrive... Can't wait. The build should only take about 6weeks since timing worked out on an abandoned build I picked up and was able to make the build changes I wanted. I couldn't wait the 12 months for SV

Seems like a pretty nice compliment to both.....

I started this post and after all I got a SVI. It was a gun that someone apparently ordered and then cancelled, it was a 5.4 sight tracker, which is what I wanted. Got to pick the rest of the details including the two-tone finish. Best of all it should be ready by Nov. 2014. If I had to wait 12-18 months I would have bought an Akai. I have shot both and can state that they are both top notch guns. The SV is more money, but since I did not get a firm price on an Akai, my GUESS is that the SV is ABOUT 10-20 percent more. Everyone has different needs and for me the extra cash was not an issue, since its my kids inheritance money anyway. So they get less, but a really nice gun in my will. Thanks to all who responded..............

Edited by jstagn

I have 3 SV Infinity Guns built by Don Golembieski of Kodiak Precision.

Don is one of the very few gunsmiths that builds SV guns.

Sandy is a member of the Pistolsmith Guild. You have to be invited to join the Guild. It has very strict standards.

SVI rebuilt my Open gun and added the steel grip. And I have a fourth Limited gun with a SV frame.

Obviously, I have a preference. My Limited gun has over 60,000 down the pipe with the same trigger job. All my guns are gnats ass accurate, now only if I was that skilled.