Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pelican #1750 Rifle-Shotgun Case Too Big

I purchased a Pelican case #1750 for my rifle and shotgun for SSM3gun. Looking over my airline regulations the pelican case is too big and will be subject to a over charge. Has anyone with a 1750 pelican case flown and had to pay additional charges???

My first time flying with guns and would like to know how strict airlines are on baggage size.

Thanks for info

Louie

I ship Pelican 1750 and 1720 regularly (the guns inside have funny safeties that go waaaay around, and the people to whom the bags belong are going to strange places far away), and don't have any problem with either American or United. As those are the only two airlines out of this one-horse town, those are the only two I use regularly. I have never been charged oversized baggage fees for either size case.

An aside: if you want to save taxpayer dollars, never put a shooter in charge of buying gun cases...the junk we were using before I took over the program...whew... My Airmen now deploy with decent cases and wearing real body armor. My Colonel is broke, but my Airmen are safer and happier :)

Alex

I have had no problem with Delta, or Continental either. I am sure that is not due to the case being OK but rather the general incompetence of the personnel working the ticket counter.

Does it bug anyone else that they ask you to declare the gun unloaded when there is very little chance that the person asking you could determine the difference?

Craig

I have limited experience with airlines and firearms cases (I always "try" to drive to matches no matter where they are). But I do have mucho experience with video and production equipment on airlines and the basic tenet is "If it looks grossly oversize. or is grossly and obviously overweight" then extra charges will "sometimes" apply and "sometimes" you will even be steered to airfreight services where the restrictions will just plain kick your ass.

Just over the limit (weight and size) is almost never a problem with checked baggage. In fact, checked baggage is usually only a problem if your case is "fragile" and even obviously outa line stuff is usually just passed along.

Carry on baggage is another story, especially nowadays and because this does not apply to firearms I will stop now.

--

Regards,

• 1 year later...

revisiting this thread-am planning on flying to the 3gun nats, and noticed most carriers limit size of checked baggage to 62 linear inches-this makes most double sided cases too large, and are subject to $50 additional fee, each way! weight is still under the 50 lbs, even with 3 guns.

so, anyone have any experience with another type of case that get's in under the 62" limit? my double sided winchester case exceeds that...i'm bummed.

revisiting this thread-am planning on flying to the 3gun nats, and noticed most carriers limit size of checked baggage to 62 linear inches-this makes most double sided cases too large, and are subject to $50 additional fee, each way! weight is still under the 50 lbs, even with 3 guns.

so, anyone have any experience with another type of case that get's in under the 62" limit? my double sided winchester case exceeds that...i'm bummed.

I am flying to Mesa for SMM3Gun in 3 days with a Pelican #1750 case. Last year I was not question as to the size of the case. I think they are a little nervous over the contents more than the size. Have your credit card ready for the over charge just in case. When I get back I will let you know. Different airlines handle these things in different ways. be prepared.

Thanks

Louie

Edited by hockeydadnu27

The Starlight double rifle-case which is 6" deep x 13" wide x 52" is airline compatable and when fitted with a 20" AR, a 21" M1S90, and a 1911, doesn't exceed the airline's checked baggage weight limit. They can be had on eBay for much less than dealer price.

The question here is about the size limit and that clase has a H+W+L limit of 71", which is above the limit of 62" - the real question to ask is "are there any high qualify rifle+shotgun cases which come in within the 62" limit"

I was thinking of using a Pelican 1650:

http://pelican-case.com/1650.html

But it looks like it's combined is just over 64" and that could be a deal buster.

The 1650 would have to have the AR broken down and the bbl removed from the shotgun, but that didn't bother me. Not looking like a gun case was what I liked about the setup.

Might hafta' look elsewhere if that Dimensional limit really is a hard cap?

called 3 different carriers today(southwest, american and delta) and they all say 62" max linear dimensions. anything in excess, up to 80", is $50. the $50 is for each time you check it, so round trip non-stop-add $100. if it's over 80", price doubles. so, be prepared to spoon out some coin from now on.

The Starlight double rifle-case which is 6" deep x 13" wide x 52" is airline compatable and when fitted with a 20" AR, a 21" M1S90, and a 1911, doesn't exceed the airline's checked baggage weight limit. They can be had on eBay for much less than dealer price.

The question here is about the size limit and that clase has a H+W+L limit of 71", which is above the limit of 62" - the real question to ask is "are there any high qualify rifle+shotgun cases which come in within the 62" limit"

feel sorry for the guyz flying into SMM this week. rob-i found one that squeaks under at 61 1/2", by a company in canada called mezzi. looks nice, but does not have latches for a padlock-only the built-in combo lock. size is 44x13x4 1/2". anyone have one of these that could advise?

IMHO stay away from the Starlight cases. They are cheaper for a reason. Their quality control sucks. One latch will operate OK and the next will need a hammer, two midgets, and axle grease to get it to close. Initially I thought I may have gotten a lemon case but I have heard this problem discussed several other times on a couple other boards.

Take care, Craig

OK, I'm confused. I've taken the above-mentioned double-rifle Starlight case on numerous different airlines and not one has said anything about it. Do the airlines really make an issue of the H + W + L must not exceed 62" rule?

Golf club case. They see 'em all the time and don't care.

Most airlines are vague about whether or not "sporting goods" have to fit in the size & weight limits, but I just recently (as in got home at 2am today) travelled around on Delta with a hard-sided snowboard case that's probably 62" just in length, not counting W or D and none of the counter people blinked or charged me extra.

I noticed I wasn't clear about this before-- be sure to check the airlines' baggage requirements under 'sporting goods' and not regular baggage. The size/weight limits there are sometimes very different and thats where firearms, skis, golf clubs, surfboards, bicycles and such get to play. Typically the oversize fees are listed right there if there are any.

Not to stray off topic but I was looking into buying the Pelican 1750 case but haven't seen one in person. How are these cases? Are they made of plastic or aluminum? All the websites I've seen about them seem very vague about description. From what I can see it looks like a great case. If you don't want this topic to sway feel free to PM me or send me an email at black96cobra@comcast.net

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Pistol Pete -Try PELICAN.COM for detailed info .

I have traveled with both pelican and SKB cases, my pelican 1750

is by far a better built case.

SKB

The SKB has cheap locks that uses a universal

stamped key and the foam cannot be removed

the outer shell can be easily punctured (I know because mine was)

PELICAN

I can't think of a better built case. the only negative thing to say

about Pelican is it weighs more .

Its one of lifes purchase's you won't look back on. :D

Craig

• 2 months later...

Kind of off topic but...

Can you put your own locks on your gun case when flying or do they have to be "TSA" locks and exactly what does that mean?

Do you just "show clear" at check in then lock it up and your good untill they arrive or are others opening the case along the way?

Thanks

GIO

GIO - I use "magnum" model locks by master lock

they are rated medium security .

I have had the TSA pick these locks open at Phoenix

Usally they ask for the keys first so Iam not sure it matters.

TSA locks have a key slot for their quick access and a three digit

roller combo lock for your use , they look very small and weak.

When you check your baggage you declare you have firearms

and ammo , then you fill out a unloaded firearms declaration form

and place it in your case.

The cases are then run through the "CTX" x-ray machine

and most often opened and checked .

check the TSA web site and your airline for more specifics.

Craig S.

• 2 months later...

FWIW, I use a Pelican 1700 case. It's a little shorter than the 1750 or 1720.

A 16" AR will fit diagonally in the case, or you can fit a rifle & shotgun if you remove the upper (from rifle) and barrel (from shotgun).