Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super and Super Comp compatibility...

Dranoel

If I have a barrel chambered for .38 Super, will .38SC headspace correctly? Would the smaller rim cause other issues with with supporting the case?

The reason I ask, I have used Briley barrels for a long time and I am looking to order a barrel from them for a new build. They do not offer a .38SC chamber. But I was thinking that since both cartridges headspace on the case mouth and not the rim it could work. It would also give me a little flexibility in brass.

Any thoughts?

I have a SC I shoot super or comp. I don't seperate them. Point of impact is exactly the same, feel the same, eject the same ( a little 2foot pile) the only diff is I can get 30 plus 1 of comp. 1 to 2 less of super. YMMV.

How old is your barrel?

If it is more-or-less modern, the SC should headspace correctly as most all chambers today are cut to headspace on the case mouth. Barrels that are 20-30+ years old might be a different story.

If you have some SC brass you can test it yourself.

How old is your barrel?

If it is more-or-less modern, the SC should headspace correctly as most all chambers today are cut to headspace on the case mouth. Barrels that are 20-30+ years old might be a different story.

Well, it should be fairly modern as I haven't ordered it yet. :P

I wanted to make sure of the compatibility before I ordered it. And actually I did a little research on the rim specs and it seems there is only a few thousandths difference in diameter, which was my biggest concern. And if a matt is using it reliably and not having case head failures, I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

You can use either super or supercomp in modern barrels as superdude says. There is no significant difference in the case body (which actually is what interfaces with the barrel), the difference is mainly with the rim and extractor groove. The same finish reamer is used for either one - .38 Super Nonte, which headspaces on the case mouth.

So, generally you set the gun up to run with one or the other by making adjustments/swapping out the extractor, and depending on the slide possibly some breech face clearance adjustments. It is possible to hit the sweet spot like Matt and be able to run both, but that isn't a sure thing.

I have a caspian with a standard extractor that doesn't seem to care whether it is fed super or supercomp, and another with an Aftec extractor that chokes with supercomp because the smaller rim will rise above the extractor during feeding. I set my guns to run super anyway, and trade the SC cases I get with another shooter for super cases.

BTW - I really like Briley barrels. Good choice.

How old is your barrel?

Well, it should be fairly modern as I haven't ordered it yet. :P

I wanted to make sure of the compatibility before I ordered it. And actually I did a little research on the rim specs and it seems there is only a few thousandths difference in diameter, which was my biggest concern. And if a matt is using it reliably and not having case head failures, I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

I guess I should read more closely. :blush:

The Super Comp (and other rimless versions) is perfect for your new barrel.

Biggest problem is.....

Super will not fit in a Dillon SC shellplate. The stray Super case can be a real pain in the but on a 1050.

That's what you get for rockin a 1050. It fine in my little 550. Just sayin lol.

Biggest problem is.....

Super will not fit in a Dillon SC shellplate. The stray Super case can be a real pain in the but on a 1050.

That's what you get for rockin a 1050. It fine in my little 550. Just sayin lol.

Nah, what I get is about 1000 rounds an hour.

I have shot interchangeably 38 Super, 38SC and 9mm in the same barrel without any issues, thousands of rounds.

YMMV.

You're shooting 9mm in a 38S barrel without any issues? That I'd like to see. I would think the tapered 9mm wouldn't even chamber properly.

I have shot interchangeably 38 Super, 38SC and 9mm in the same barrel without any issues, thousands of rounds.

YMMV.

You're shooting 9mm in a 38S barrel without any issues? That I'd like to see. I would think the tapered 9mm wouldn't even chamber properly.

I've shot with Foxbat for years, he's not making it up. It's doable if you so desire

I'll take your word for it. I've never had a gun chambered for 38S to try it in but I would have thought the staight wall chamber would be too tight for the tapered 9. Good to know, though. If I get desperate for ammo I can always shoot 9s. :)

I'll take your word for it. I've never had a gun chambered for 38S to try it in but I would have thought the staight wall chamber would be too tight for the tapered 9. Good to know, though. If I get desperate for ammo I can always shoot 9s. :)

The chamber dimensions have enough extra room built in, so 9mm ammo fits without any issues. It head spaces on the extractor, and the brass is still perfectly reloadable - not distorted in any way.

• 1 year later...

I have a SC I shoot super or comp. I don't seperate them. Point of impact is exactly the same, feel the same, eject the same ( a little 2foot pile) the only diff is I can get 30 plus 1 of comp. 1 to 2 less of super. YMMV.

What is your extractor setup for this?

Have you loaded both interchangeably? Or have you separated the super from SC brass and swapped out the shell plates for each?

I am in process of picking up a used 38 super with an Aftec extractor, and currently looking into what the restrictions really are on loading both and shooting both. I guess I can try the shooting thing in practice, but an above poster mentioned he did not have good luck with a super extractor dealing with SC.

The gun I have that shoots Super or Supercomp with no issues has a regular extractor. The two guns I have with 38 super Aftec's only will shoot what they were tuned for, which is .38 super. If I try to run 38 supercomp it may run 80% of the supercomp rounds, but sooner or later I will get a round that is pushed up above the ejector (and doesn't eject) and jams when the next round tries to feed. It is a b----- of a jam to clear on the clock, too. Basically this is caused by insufficient extractor tension on the supercomp cases.

Maybe with Aftec extractors if the gun was originally tuned for supercomp it wouldn't be so fussy and would feed Supers, I donno.

I run a STI trubor that came as a 38 Super gun. I replaced the extractor with a 9mm/38SC extractor and run nothing but 38 Super Comp in it now. 2 reasons to go to super comp...one is it's rimless and stacks better in the mags and secondly you can use the same Dillon shellplate with 38 SC and 223.

I do have to cull out any picked up 38 Super as they will lock up my 1050, fixable but a real PITA. On the 550 not so bad.

I run a Caspian top on an old SV frame. It's got a very tight breech face, so it will not feed 38 Supers.
Fortunately, the few Super empties that make it to the brass bin also will not feed in the Dillon 1050, so no probs there.
The extractor is Aftec for SC. (If you run a conventional extractor, it'll likely work with both cases, as mentioned above.)
It'll feed 9mm too, but I wouldn't recommend this, as a distinct mark emerged in the chamber after a few hundred rounds. Couldn't get it off, either, and while the gun still functions flawlessly, and there seems to be no effects on feeding and precision (can't actually feel it, but it shows, though) the chamber is not made for anything but 38 S/SC, so I've given it up.

• 3 years later...

I think the extractor may be what’s holding the 9mm bullet against the 38’s breach face. The extractor won’t hold the bullets tight or with any consistency. Personally I don’t like inviting troubles I don’t need and some open guns can be finicky on good days, so I’ll stick to running ammo the gun is built to run.  Good luck